From The Spearhead to the National Debate on Marriage and Interpartner Violence

by W.F. Price on June 27, 2014

A couple weeks ago, I noticed that Heartiste posted a Bureau of Justice Statistics graph I used last year to demonstrate that feminist fearmongering about husbands was putting women in danger. Heartiste retweeted the post when I first published it, so he gave The Spearhead credit for the research, and I’m glad he reposted the graph recently, because it makes such a powerful statement.

Shortly after Heartiste’s repost, I noticed that the graph had appeared in the Washington Post of all places, which essentially repeated my conclusion that single motherhood is a dangerous situation, and far from ideal. The Washington Post article even referenced statistics I used in the article I posted immediately prior to the domestic violence article, which concluded that children who live with their fathers are far safer than those who don’t (ya think?). I’m all but certain that one or both authors (Bradford Wilcox and Robin Fretwell Wilson) read my articles before submitting their text to the Post and Wilcox’s subsequent article for National Review. Now I see that Anne Cools, a Canadian senator who is speaking at the Men’s Conference, has repeated, almost word for word, what I wrote last year in the original article:

While it does feel nice to see one’s labor bear fruit, it’s important to stress that for a long time hardly anyone bothered to do the nitty gritty research into these issues except for gender feminists. They have had a lock on academic gender studies for decades, and virtually everything published along those lines comes from their perspective. Instead of putting their access to material and knowledge to work to do good, they have pushed a selfish agenda the entire time. Every study that did not conform to their radical misandrist worldview has been either ignored or tossed out, and the gullible masses went on for years simply repeating their talking points.

But now things are starting to change. Feminist theory is being challenged more boldly than ever before as the monopoly on information is being destroyed by the Internet. Although it may be a sad statement about the current state of scholarship, every time the truth makes it out into the wider world we have won a victory — not only for those of us who are concerned about men’s issues, but human decency as well. Feminism, because it denies human nature, is a profoundly inhuman philosophy. When put into practice it hurts people, just like Stalinism and Maoism. Not just a few people, but millions of them — from children on up to grandparents.

It may be easier now to bring the truth to light, but it still involves a considerable amount of time and careful research. It also requires focus, consistency, and the cultivation of credibility through sustained effort despite repeated feminist potshots and obfuscation.

In short, it’s a job, and an important one.

This is why I’m asking for support — so I can continue to perform and make a difference. Those who have chipped in deserve both thanks and credit for making it possible and thereby influencing the national debate and advancing public understanding, and I’d like to invite others to do the same. As stated before, The Spearhead has at least 2,500 regular readers, and by regular I mean near daily. There are over 2,000 unique, returning visitors (not page views) per day, about 1,000 people (out of a couple thousand subscribers) access the content through the feed per day, and hundreds of others subscribe through email. To be conservative, rather than add all these up I subtracted about a thousand to account for “occasional” readers and those who use more than one method to access content.

It’s great to have so many loyal readers, and rewarding in itself — working for others suits me very well. But because the site is mainly free to all, and I want to keep it that way to the greatest extent possible as a resource for others who could find it useful (such as the authors of the Washington Post piece), it’s hard to monetize. Fortunately, however, if everyone chips in even a little it’s enough. And trust me: on my budget I certainly appreciate the small contributions as well — everything counts.

So if you haven’t already, please consider a contribution to keep me at it and allow me to continue in my role as an independent and prolific advocate for men and families.

Crank June 27, 2014 at 15:08

The funny thing in the WaPo article is how hysterical the commenters are over this. Almost nothing but ad hominem and non-sequiturs.

I do think there is likely a bit of a flaw in the data – namely that the demographic group most likely to get and stay married (educated middle and upper middle class whites and asians) overlaps substantially with those who are simply less likely to engage in physical or sexual abuse. But that doesn’t explain all of it, because obviously a biological father is more protective (on average) of children than some other guy, even a decent guy. That’s just a fact of being a mamal. And, obviously, a good relationship with a biological father is more likely to give a young woman the type of “self esteem” that feminists like to go on and on about such that she would be far less likely to tolerate an abusive situation. Put differently, since women who had healthy relationships with their fathers tend to be attracted to men with similar characteristics, they would be more likely attracted to non-abusive guys than they would Badboy McBiker.

One of the funnier comments notes that this is likely correlation because the “kind of guy you want to marry is far less likely to be abusive”, or something like that. Ok, maybe true to some extent, but then how about not having sex with guys who are not the type you would want to marry, given that sex seems to be the leading way of making babies? Maybe share your bodies with those same types of guys who would not be abusive rather than getting yourselves all lathered up over guys in mugshots.

Justin June 27, 2014 at 16:23

You should get an amazon affiliate link people can use while doing their normal amazon shopping.

I refuse to do paypal.

Schopenhauer June 27, 2014 at 17:57

Good suggestion on exploring Amazon Payment Systems. Many, maybe most, people already have an Amazon account and they trust the company.

I recently helped a friend install the Amazon system for his subscription-based financial newsletter. It’s too early to say that it’s a total success, but there has already been one subscriber who sent a thank-you note for not having to use PayPal.

By the way, this friend also recently moved his bulk mail system to Amazon Web Services. Inexpensive and works flawlessly.

Personally, I’ve never had an issue with PayPal. But, I’ve read some horror stories that seemed believable. Just as with PayPal, there are many negative aspects of the Amazon company. (I used to enjoy shopping in small, independent book stores.)

Transaction fees for Amazon’s micropayments and larger are comparable to PayPal. There is a significant discount for 501©3 non-profits. It might be more trouble than it’s worth, but have you considered forming a non-profit foundation?

Here’s an Amazon page describing Amazon Payment Systems:

Shlomo Shunn June 27, 2014 at 22:20

I’ve been an MRA for some 40 years. I knew of Cools’ activism back when DV researcher Suzanne Steinmetz began saying men were equal victims. I was fortunate enough to have lunch with her once. She died 5 years ago due to a massive heart attack. I’m sure the stress of feminist death threats took its toll.

I’m glad Anne is still around. She was fighting for Canadian men along with Walter Schneider back in-the-day:

There is so much pain and suffering, effort and failure in our non-moving movement. It’s hard to keep perspective. Gandhi got tons of international coverage for his “salt walk.” Even so, it took another 17 (SEVENTEEN!) years for India to gain independence…and then at a cost of a separate Pakistan.

It’s easy to quote his 4 steps (“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”). Hard to endure what he did, from beatings to fasting to jail…and eventually murder.

Gandhi was a fighter. He said, “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” Mostly he hated cowards. He said if you couldn’t, in your heart-of-hearts, love those who beat you, then it was your DUTY not just to fight back, but TO hit as hard as you could.

He did not suffer wimps lightly.

Like I said, I’ve been at this a long, long time. I added to MITs’ “men’s studies” library before feminists took over and moved it to Michigan State University:

I’ve seen much pain inflicted on men by feminists, endured some myself. Still, I sense some hope with AVFM, though I’m also skeptical. I’ve seen things blow up and go nowhere before. I mean, at one time NCFM was on Phil Donahue’s show, the “Oprah” of its day. Today? Who knows about it aside from some in the manosphere. It killed its golden geese.

The key, I think, will be to see what Paul does with his group’s new-found, hard-earned recognition.

Finally, per this site: put ad banners on it. We won’t care and it’ll make money. Or sell some MRA gear. Or compile some writings and sell them as ebooks/pamphlets.

Donations are fine, but iffy. Everyone expects things to be “free” these days. So if using Adsense, etc. gets you some moolah, go for it. It’s no use being a “money martyr.” You’d have to eventually fold your tent….and no one wants that.

Except feminists. : >)

Shlomo Shunn June 27, 2014 at 22:29

Two comments from two differents folks:

> “Feminism, because it denies human nature, is a profoundly inhuman philosophy. When put into practice it hurts people, just like Stalinism and Maoism.”

And…

> “since women who had healthy relationships with their fathers tend to be attracted to men with similar characteristics, they would be more likely attracted to non-abusive guys than they would Badboy McBiker.”

Both are…gold!

Charles Martel June 27, 2014 at 22:59

Apologies – OT – as we feel the first light touches of the approaching new Dark Age, take a look at what MEN can DO.

The knowledge required to make, for example, a single compressor blade for a gas turbine engine is enormous.

Virtually all women and frankly most men know nothing of and care less for the technological marvels that make our way of life possible.

Shmiggen June 28, 2014 at 00:27

W.F. Price June 28, 2014 at 00:34

@shmiggen

Thanks. BTW, I never did get back to you on why I feel little warmth toward the Longshoremen: my family were Teamsters.

Angry Harry June 28, 2014 at 04:15

@schlomo

Do you run a blog somewhere? I really like your posts.

@Shmiggen

“talking points utterly lacking in originality that are entirely personal opinion, such as the minimum wage and unions. ”

Tell you what. YOU try writing articles week in, week out, and let’s see how you do.

cynic June 28, 2014 at 07:10

Men’s Rights Activism’s interest is focused on safe places for males against usury, exploitation, conscription, unfounded detention, white slavery, official high-handedness, State caprice and false accusations.

The perpetual and eternal narrative of seeking safe places for women alone, itself breeds gynocentic misandry. This skewed narrative invites agents of socialism to pretentiously appear to seek to solve problems that exist for everyone as existing for women only in return for handsome fees.

Safe places are good for everyone, not only females. What are talking heads in receipt of large state drawn fees going to do about securing safe places for all persons ? Or are three legged beasts any less good or less worthy than four legged beasts on account of gender ?

greyghost June 28, 2014 at 09:59

I still think you would make an awesome writer for yahoo or a general columnist for the news agencies.

tom47 June 28, 2014 at 11:33

Sent you a totally insufficient sum as it’s all I have at this particular moment. Will continue to send more as I have it.
I think your best bet is to publish some e books on your broader ideas and ideologies and plug those on the site. These can serve as background on where you’re coming from. The site can plug the books and the books can plug the site. If you go with Kindle then you have two venues to sell from. You can become an writer aside from the Spearhead and develop a second following.
Keep the Spearhead as a story / idea of the day site and a personal site. It’s hard to make a buck as an writer without a book to sell or a paycheck from someone else.
Whatever you do please don’t disappear.

shiva1008 June 28, 2014 at 17:08

spaceghost -

What planet are you living on? You think Yahoo or another corporation would actually pay Price to crank out insubordinate material?

Sometimes we forget what 99% of people think like. I was just reading a review of the season finale of Louie on a non-overtly leftist site and came across this causeless injection of progressivism:

The hourlong closer set aside flights of absurd fancy (like Hurricane Jasmine Forsythe) and time jumps (the extended flashback in “Elevator Part 4;” most of “In the Woods”) and meandering 10-minute monologues about the pleasures of being a single, straight, white comedian with no responsibilities (Todd Barry’s segment in “Elevator Part 5″) in favor of a simple….

WTF?? Todd Barry’s monologue had nothing to do with him being white or straight, although arguably his free time had to do with him being single. But what the fuck does it have to do with the show? And this is coming from a white American female, a member of the most privileged major demographic ever to walk the earth? HAHAA LMAOOOO I guess she just feels guilty about her unearned advantages in life and feels the need to misdirect any fingers that might be pointed at her for her easy life, even when she’s supposed to be writing about tv for a job and not getting on her fuckin political soapbox

justlooking June 28, 2014 at 17:09

Feminism is a malignant cancer. I have not seen anything that feminism touched that did not get tainted. Be it education. Research. Family. Healthcare. Businesses. Military. Even sex. Every single thing that feminism has touched has become polluted.
Feminism is an ill wind which blows no one any good.

shiva1008 June 28, 2014 at 17:13

I’m leaving America. I can’t be around people who think like this, even if it’s just 20% of people. And those people also happen to be in all the positions of power (political cultural and economic). Just be fucking normal and don’t superimpose an artificial ideology over every little thing. It’s not that hard geez :)

And the lord said to them… be unto like little children… lol

geographybeefinalisthimself June 28, 2014 at 17:49

OT but the possibility exists that this will spread to colleges that did not allow blacks to attend from the get-go:

At least for HBCUs (historically black colleges and universities), bailouts have already started. Such schools are being bailed out even AFTER having lost accreditation, having bad graduation rates (at least when it comes to graduation after four years), and even with some HBCUs having some of the worst medical schools in the country. The justification for the bailout of HBCUs is that “they are an important national resource.” One comment below says that the brightest black students go to schools that didn’t allow black students to attend from the get-go. Black students who attend HBCUs are not as bright or have an ax to grind with whites.

As a guy who is both a mick and a guinea, I hope that bailouts DO NOT spread to schools that did not allow black students to attend when they first opened because bailing out even more schools would be cost-prohibitive. Admittedly, I also hope eventually HBCUs have to stand on their own two feet as well.

se do bheatha bhaille June 28, 2014 at 18:24

@Angry Harry,

This was not an insult; it was constructive criticism. The men’s movement has historically been hamstrung by political infighting.

greyghost June 29, 2014 at 07:12

shiva1008
More and more the things written and spoken about here are becoming popular in that it is going from taboo never speak of it to something to generate traffic. Tipping points are reached in all things. And a man that helped bring it on should be a part of it.
Men’s movement is not about telling women anything any more it is about talking to men. That is why it is more successful. So much is passed and learned outside of the mainstream PC media that the pool of people that don’t believe the lies is bigger than the “those people are the fringe” , there is money to be made.

The answer is yes on the margins hell yes it will generate much traffic and numbers and most importantly mirror culture trends from the front. Things are different.

keyster June 29, 2014 at 10:38

Feminism was a social movement that became a business that became a scam. I think the current Global Warming movement is similar. Feminism was about power disguised as “social science”. Global Warming is about power (federal take-over of the energy sector) disguised as “climate science”. Both ignore the power of nature over Mankind’s frivolous pursuits of things like equality and world peace.

The internet is where the truth is outed and where lies are put to death. The powerful no longer have a monopoly on information.

GraniteSoldier June 29, 2014 at 12:15

Bill made my paltry donation. Your site has been invaluable in keeping my sanity. I’ve made numerous referrels. Keep up the good work.

daxamite June 29, 2014 at 23:12

@shiva1008

“I’m leaving America.”

I did. I won’t be back before 2020. People like you are referring to are everywhere. If humanity were an automobile they would make good brakes but they cannot steer. Unfortunately atm they are steering.

And pretty much everywhere, well everywhere that I have been ( most of the South Pacific). When they crash they make a total wreck of not just economies but worse social fabric that binds us as a single whole. Instead you wind up with a plethora of individual identities fighting for their”rights”- as if they hate everyone else. If civic pride versus say graffiti is bad in the U.S. it’s worse elsewhere and it gets worse the further to the left you go. You can extrapolate that as you please.

This is the greatness of the men in the men’s movement, they are inclusive basically fighting for woman and children too as opposed to the women’s movement which is exclusive of everybody else and in fact disregards even women who aren’t alongside with their social program.

Here in Australia we have just had a woman on the left side of politics utter the fabulously revealing statement that;

” women who are conservative don’t really understand women”.

So far I have been to Australia, New Zealand, Tasmania, New Guinea, New Caledonia, Fiji, Samoa, Christmas Island, Bali, Indonesia, and lots of smaller places. If I ever get to nirvana, some place with Hobbits I suppose, I’m going to be tempted to stay.

Uncle Elmer June 30, 2014 at 17:01

Off-topic but here comes the AlphaWomen! All they need are a few good BetaMen.

Today’s Alpha woman is everywhere. In dress and style, the Alpha is the familiar, highly visible prototype: unabashedly sexy as well as career-oriented. She’s the MD who manages the clinic like a well-oiled machine, or the self-confident Web editor who envisions herself running the company with her combination of tech skills and business savvy. She’s the chic, assertive saleswoman who convinces you to buy an outfit you aren’t sure you actually need…There’s never been a better time to be an Alpha woman. She’s on the rise in her education and in her profession. She’s self-reliant, and she can explore her sexuality and make her own life choices.

Admit it guys. We pay attention because it’s so damn funny.

Uncle Elmer June 30, 2014 at 18:08

Seriously though. If these women are so amazing, why do they all need therapists?

The type of man she should be looking for is not afraid of strong women she says. “He is cooperative but not compliant, accomplished but not a workaholic, assertive but not confrontational. He is the man many contemporary women have been waiting for, but he is not adequately appreciated in a culture where the Alpha male has reigned supreme.”

Actually BetaMan is the man an AlphaWoman is waiting for after AlphaMen have had their run with her. One would think if these people were borrowing PUA nomenclature they would try to understand certain well-worn principles.

Shlomo Shunn July 1, 2014 at 03:11

> “Over the past decade New York psychotherapist Dr Sonya Rhodes noticed a pattern in the women coming to her practice.”

Interesting. I did a show with her once, back in the 90s. Didn’t know she was still aroundl.

The Brass Cat July 1, 2014 at 13:53

Uncle Elmer,

>>“He is cooperative but not compliant, accomplished but not a workaholic, assertive but not confrontational. “

This man they describe is quite the paradox. He has accomplished so much without lifting nary a finger! Effort is for losers.

He asserts himself without confrontation… which makes him more manipulative than assertive, wouldn’t you say?