Support Independent Men’s Journalism

by W.F. Price on June 25, 2014

Dear readers,

I’ve greatly appreciated providing you with regular commentary, news and essays for nearly five years at this point. It has truly been a labor of love.

Currently, I write for about 2,500 regular readers, with an average article being accessed about 3,500 times through the site. I’m quite satisfied with those numbers, because I know people aren’t reading the site to be part of some club or forum, or because they were misled by promises of cash or sex, but rather for the content. Too much of the Internet is cluttered with clickbait and thoughtless text aimed primarily at search engines. I’m not concerned with garbage content, nor do I want garbage traffic.

However, I am consciously bucking the trend by not using the standard gimmicks that make money online. I like to publish thoughtful material. I don’t want to promise that people can make a quick buck or get laid using my techniques. I’d be lying anyway, and lying doesn’t come naturally to me.

The result of this idealism on my part (some might call it obstinacy) is that The Spearhead doesn’t exactly haul in bags of cash. At this point, however, I need cash — badly. I have another baby due any day. I have bills due, and I just moved to a new place where I have no network to speak of, and therefore few opportunities as of yet.

If you’re a reader who appreciates the content offered up on a regular basis on The Spearhead, I’d appreciate some support. I’ve cleared up my issues with Washington state DCS and I can now deposit checks and money orders without worrying about the bank dinging me with a $100 “garnishment fee” (yes, they are that brazen in theft) every time I make a deposit, and I’m in what seems to be a stable family situation. Things could be worse, but times are pretty lean, and when there’s a baby that only adds to the stress.

So if you enjoy The Spearhead on a regular or even casual basis, please offer some support so I can keep it online and keep writing for you and offering featured articles by others. I guarantee that my perspective will remain independent, but always loyal to readers and to the principle of making the world a better place for men and their families.

Thank you.

Please donate through PayPal or send check or money order to:

Price Content (or William Price)
PO Box 31041
Bellingham, WA 98226

(sometimes the button returns an “error” message after payment, but the payments still go through without a hitch — it’s merely an issue with the button’s redirect code)

For those who would like to support the site on an ongoing basis, please consider becoming a supporting subscriber.

freebird June 25, 2014 at 14:28

Thanks for posting the snail mail addy.
Will send a bit next week,and put the word out on the interwebs.

W.F. Price June 25, 2014 at 16:32

@freebird

Much appreciated.

DW3 June 25, 2014 at 16:59

I got a bunch of stamps for mailing to the States, in anticipation that the money I sent the previous time would not be the last. I’ll send some out this week, and will make note of the new postal address. Your efforts are invaluable to me.

Jeremy June 25, 2014 at 19:56

I hate to be picky, but ever since I got into bitcoin, I always encourage people who want micropayments/microdonations to go get themselves educated on how to use bitcoin, and make an account with either Coinbase (old, reputable), or Bitpay (newer), or if you really educate yourself, just generate yourself a bitcoin address, and put the QRcode on your site and cut out the middlemen.

Survivorman June 25, 2014 at 20:53

Bill,

IMO – You are doing *God’s Work* – 20 bones coming your way!

greenlander June 25, 2014 at 21:49

Bill, you know that I’ve been a longtime supporter of the site.

I’ve been living abroad for two years and the problem I have at the moment is that all of my credit cards are expired. The replacements are sitting in a box at a forwarding service in the United States. Because I have no valid credit cards, I can’t donate at this time.

So can I please change my failure to help this cycle into a plea for you to integrate support for bitcoin? Coinbase.com makes it easy to integrate. If you don’t want to do that, then all you need to do is get a bitcoin address and post it on your site somewhere and then people can send bitcoins to that address.

W.F. Price June 25, 2014 at 22:14

@greenlander and Jeremy

I’ve got a Bitcoin Wallet, but for some reason it’s taking forever to sync. I’ll put up my address when I get it working.

BTW, thanks, Greenlander — you’ve been one of my most important supporters over the years.

LongLostFriend June 25, 2014 at 23:37

Bill:

Email me and I will be happy to help you get properly set up for Bitcoin (and thereby to avoid any future bank interference). There are wallets out there that do not require downloading the entire blockchain, which is likely what is slowing you down.

Jeremy June 26, 2014 at 07:28

No reason not to post your advice Long.

@ W.F. Price
The reason it takes forever to sync your bitcoin wallet is the blockchain is now approaching a 20 gigabyte file:
And, I believe (I don’t know this for certain), that the BTC software isn’t designed to keep track of thousands of peers for downloading, I think it caps itself at like 20-30. So you’re trying to download a 20 gig file, with only ~20 seeders, it can take a while.

However, you can *STILL* generate an address while the blockchain is downloading, and use that address, you just won’t see confirmation in your wallet of those transactions until the blockchain is completely downloaded. If you wish, you can use the search bar on blockchain.info, enter in your generated address, and confirm the transactions and balance there.

In fact, realistically, you don’t even need a software wallet *of any kind* to accept bitcoin. Technically, if you wanted to, you could use pen and paper, go through the SHA256 algorithm on paper to generate yourself an address/key pair, and you can use that address to receive BTC. The BTC network has no part in your key-pair generation, that’s completely separate from the network. The network just shares and audits the transactions, it doesn’t care what addresses are involved, so long as the chain is never broken.

You will need a software wallet of some kind (either an internet service, or a wallet/btc-client) in order to generate new transactions, and like LongLostFriend said, there are wallets out there that do not download the entire blockchain.

greyghost June 26, 2014 at 09:43

Good thing you have reminded me. I’ve been slow, will send 60 this time. I like this place glad to see you writing.

Charles Martel June 26, 2014 at 10:53

Just sent you a Benjamin via the PayPal Donate button above. The payment appeared to complete but then I got a PayPal error message I’ve never seen before. Check your PayPal account and let me know if you don’t receive it.

Thos. June 26, 2014 at 12:14

You HAVE to sell ads.

Elusive Wapiti June 26, 2014 at 16:11

Done.

greenlander June 26, 2014 at 19:40

Bill, my guess is that you don’t want to hold bitcoin: you want to convert it to fiat and send it to your bank account. If that’s the case, just open an account on coinbase.com. You’ll get a wallet address that people can send money to. You don’t need to install wallet software and sync the blockchain on your own computer.

The only risk of doing this is that if Coinbase goes bankrupt, then you’re just another creditor and will get little or nothing back. No problem, just don’t keep bitcoins there: as soon as you get them, sell them and transfer them to your bank. Then you have no risk. The risk is only if you keep coins long-term in a coinbase wallet.

You probably don’t want to be running the bitcoin client on your normal computer anyway: there is so much malware out there and some if it steals bitcoin. I’d only run the bitcoin client on a separate computer running Linux and even then block all ports except the ones bitcoin uses for security reasons. Windows isn’t secure at all.

epoche* June 26, 2014 at 21:13

Welmer, remember we were going to have a men’s rights manifesto contest. I thought that could be a good way to raise money (and publicity for the site).

Shlomo Shunn June 26, 2014 at 22:56

> “we were going to have a men’s rights manifesto contest.”

There have been dozens over the years, including this one by Pelle:

Craig June 28, 2014 at 22:11

A friend is doing a big art project involving missing or lost fathers or fathers that have passed away – and memories.

She’s trying to “acknowledge and remember the fathers in our lives”

She needs to collect images of fathers, any kind of images, along with very (very) short stories about the images.

If your father has passed away or is no longer with you, for any reason, and you have any pictures of him, help her out.
Send a picture with a brief description of the time, the emotions, or the moment when the picture was taken.

She has a website here: http://www.ephemerativity.org