What’s Anita Sarkeesian Doing with All That Kickstarter Money?

by W.F. Price on December 7, 2012

The little London Feminist Film Festival rip-off made me think of Anita Sarkeesian, who pulled in a couple hundred thousand dollars last June through “crowdfunding” (via Kickstarter) to make some videos about video games. She played the victim after some people were nasty to her online, and hit a rome run in her donation drive.

Crowdfunding has attracted some scrutiny, because it’s vulnerable to fraud. While I have no idea whether Sarkeesian is a hustler or not, I made a little mental note to check up on her every now and then to see what she’s been up to. Now that it’s been a half year, I thought I should check it out.

She runs a website called “Feminist Frequency,” and she apparently updates it once a month or so. Less, actually. The last update she made concerning her project dates back to August 1st, and at that point she’d purchased some 300 video games for the project. She says she’s hired a writer and a producer, but is keeping them “out of the limelight to try and shield them from any potential harassment. When I feel it is safe and appropriate to introduce them I will.”

Hmm… Well, I guess transparency is out the window (because of the misogynists, of course).

Since that post, she’s given a couple interviews, but publicly nothing has been said about her project.

Sarkeesian invites readers to check for updates on her project on Facebook, but there’s nothing there to speak of, besides a couple more game purchases. Evidently, she’s been flying around a lot giving interviews and talks, but that’s about the only evidence of “progress” on the project.

As I am eagerly awaiting what is sure to be a revolutionary video project of the highest professionalism and quality, I’m starting to get a little antsy about the media blackout. I can only imagine that those who funded it are also sitting at the edge of their seats.

BTW, does anyone know what model car Sarkeesian drives these days?

TMG December 7, 2012 at 12:23

Honestly she could blow it all, blame men, and then get more money from her audience.

Turbo the Drycleaner December 7, 2012 at 12:33

anyone foolish enough to contribute to her project deserved to be fleeced.

zed December 7, 2012 at 12:35

P. T. Barnum – “There is a sucker born every minute.”

geographybeefinalisthimself December 7, 2012 at 12:40

“BTW, does anyone know what model car Sarkeesian drives these days?”

I don’t know either, but I hope that whatever model she drives crashes soon. I would not be sad if she was killed in a car accident.

Jeeves December 7, 2012 at 13:04

You know thats constructable into online stalking Welmer ?

We gotta be really carefull man.

Lyn87 December 7, 2012 at 13:25

So… how does this “Kickstarter” thing work?…

I’m suddenly feeling the need to expand my horizons in a non-traditional way. I’m thinking about a long-term project contemplating fruity rum-based beverages in the tropics without the tedium of earning enough money to be a layabout in some bourgeois job.

Please send your PayPal donations to:

Lyn87bartab@reggae&rum.bermuda.kickstarter.com

Sounds legit.

AmStrat December 7, 2012 at 14:19

This is potentially wonderful! The people who sent her money are the lowest of the lowest scum of the Earth. You can bet a dollar each and every one of them contributed money they didn’t really create (trust funders, welfare money, college “grant” money for feminists, even in general 60% of women’s jobs which are an exercise in affirmative action).

And now… now that money is going toward videogames (some of it).

Well done, anita.

TFH December 7, 2012 at 15:02

“BTW, does anyone know what model car Sarkeesian drives these days?”

The Unibrow. A car designed and made by feminists, for Sarkeesian.

Hf December 7, 2012 at 22:05

A Subaru Forester?

brigadon December 8, 2012 at 01:25

I am looking forward to the eventual media blackout when she gets sued for stealing all that money.

Rico December 8, 2012 at 07:45

“Estimated Delivery: December 2012″

Hope her backers aren’t holding their breath.

Tom Smith December 10, 2012 at 06:51

Mr. Price- why should people be surprised? This is the way you would think that venture capital works. That is: take a huge risk, and expect outsized returns. What really happens is that most people who take these type of risks lose their shirts (and their trousers too).

In her case, the issue here is accountability. If you or I did that (because we’re men) we would have to be accountable- we’d likely be arrested and charged with theft (or something else). The problem here is because she’s a woman she’s not accountable, and the prosecutors will not do so either.

As your follow-up article points out, she’s NEVER going to be accountable- instead, she views requests for accountability as being “harrassed” which is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

JoeWho January 2, 2013 at 18:29

you can make a youtube video easily for under 10 bucks. I guess buying the games would take some money. but, I doubt she won’t spend it all on that. judging from her videos, she’s definitely not doing without(this is before she got her kick starter fund). definitely not a “starving college kid”. probably just trust-fund baby who had a radical feminist professor in college and fell for the indoctrination.(happened to my niece aswell)

But, people are more then welcome to throw their money away however they seem fit. but, I doubt they’ll be getting a “fair and unbiased” documentary.

she so confused that she doesn’t even know what is and isn’t considered sexism when it comes to female characters. A character that acts too girly? sexism. a character that’s macho and tough? “strong and empowered characters(female) are just pretending to be men”. so she feels that female characters have to be monotone robots…it seems.

check out this video

lol it’s like asking a neo-nazi to give a fair and unbiased report on African culture….. :/

Jon January 5, 2013 at 22:36

Tom Smith, you are an idiot.

This isn’t venture capitalism, venture capitalism is an investment.

A venture capitalist gets returns from whatever profits the business invested in makes. The people who DONATED (not invested) money on her project won’t be seeing a cent of whatever money she makes from her videos. And she will be making a lot from the number of Youtube views alone.

Even Kickstarter calls their site a way of DONATING money to people doing business. It’s not a Kickstarter investment, it’s a Kickstarter donation.

J January 23, 2013 at 09:25

Dave January 24, 2013 at 01:23

@J: it takes more than 6 months and over $100k to create 10 minute videos? I believe she and individuals like her made more videos in less time and no Kickstarter backing. Is she hiring Christopher Nolan to direct those videos or something?

J January 27, 2013 at 15:12

>> it takes more than 6 months and over $100k to create 10 minute videos? I believe she and individuals like her made more videos in less time and no Kickstarter backing.

Projects take a long time, especially when you’re being invited to give interviews and talks. Conversations on large social issues facing the video game community and female community ARE important…in “real life,” if you will.

aka she’s doing other things directly related to the project, even if it’s not the actual videos themselves. she might be doing research. you can’t really judge until the project comes out.

>> I believe she and individuals like her made more videos in less time and no Kickstarter backing.

Because the money is more than enough to create the project that donors are requesting, she can technically do whatever she wants with it. She actually went and made more episodes than originally planned, and a free curriculum guide for educators to use.

>>Is she hiring Christopher Nolan to direct those videos or something?

I’m pretty sure that would require more Kickstarter funding.

W.F. Price January 27, 2013 at 15:26

-J

In other words, she’s too important to dirty her hands making videos these days. I suspected as much, but it’s helpful to have one of her supporters confirm it for me.

Dave February 9, 2013 at 18:00

@J: And people who made videos on less time and budget aren’t important? I suppose when you’re put into some sort of messiah-like level, you are ahead above of almost everyone else. What irks me that it’s been known that she requested backers to provide research for her and one backer (one that we know of) was blocked on twitter, who just requested an update on the project. It speaks in volumes that it’s her backers who are starting to grumble. As someone who was looking forward to watching her videos, I’m disappointed by the lack of progress. I would have thought that at least one video would have been made by now. Btw, that Nolan bit was a joke.

C March 31, 2013 at 12:31

Why didn’t she start a KickStarter to design video games that aren’t “offensive” to women?

PJH June 2, 2013 at 03:11

The videos are out and they are barely distinguishable from many youtube commentaries. Analysis is shallow. I would say, Anita took money from the kickstarter funds to pay herself for her past time investment.

AJ September 13, 2013 at 03:00

Who are you to police how other people spend their money? They are far worse Kickstarters then this life-style funding vanity project.

Kidd September 20, 2013 at 12:54

AJ,

Some would say nothing is worse. To use the implied social cause to fund ones own greed and vanity. Maybe I missed the other projects that received this kind of funding, and claiming to promote a under represented groups rights, an instead stole from their own.

-Kidd

whyphy December 18, 2013 at 06:07

At 33 years old & having my 1st gaming machine since I was 4 (Sinclair ZX 128k) I regard myself as a life long gamer.
One detail about WHO you play with is… its irrelevant. Are they good in game? Thats the ONLY question. Race & gender are not factors in enjoyment, unless you’re a bigot or sexist. And guess what. Bigots & sexists can be found EVERYWHERE in life.
Anita HAS lied and there IS proof of her lies, with NO room for debate. Her points ARE invalid as she has no knowledge of the subject she addresses. Like Eric Cartman, she “…knows enough to exploit it” which IS all she attempted to achieve & like Cartman, for her own ends, purely.
Also, history has shown countless times, if you want to tell millions of people that what they enjoy is wrong, bad, sexist or negative on such a grand, deceptive scale, those millions will ALWAYS be offended and retaliate against their accuser. While Anita undoubtedly received all measure of retaliation, she was WELL aware of this in advance. Unless she only discovered humans a couple of years ago. This deliberate provocation was entirely designed to help her “prove” her point.
Her entire project is manipulation & is to improve nothing for anyone, except her own sense of self-worth.
Bottom line, if you know NOTHING about a topic, you have NO RIGHT to add your two pennies. Anita IS a deceptive liar & women will not benefit from her lies. Honesty is all that matters & Anita doesn’t care about honestly or integrity. Fact, with undeniable proof. No room for debate.

Teirdalin April 1, 2014 at 07:59

One of the, main issues I have with Anita Sarkeesian; is that she says she has been a gamer and she loves games- but just before that says that she’s not a gamer, and doesn’t really play games.

I think it’s safe to say that Anita probably spent all the donations on games to “prove” to people that she’s a gamer, or perhaps it’s to hire on a number of people to censor out all the negative feedback about her on her, and her projects, social feeds.

Atomsk April 23, 2014 at 04:32

lol she literally spent all the money on video games ahahahahahahaha

Anonymous June 24, 2014 at 13:53

she didnt buy video games, as she didnt produce any footage of gaming : instead she STOLE footage from videos made by gamers, without giving any credit, makingit look like she had produced such footage.

adding to that that she lied in every of her arguments, what we have is a lying pile of steaming horseshit… and a very succesfull scam. Then she received an industry award and didnt she land a job in a big company as well?

She’s not the issue, just the symptom of it though. Boys culture is under attack. A whole generation of young men is under attack in its last cultural refuges.

Aaron July 9, 2014 at 05:11

Ms. Sarkeesian, you are an inspiration! I hope to make the kind of difference you’ve made!