High Profile Women Rejecting Feminist Label

by W.F. Price on December 6, 2012

I can still remember a bit of the social atmosphere of the early days when feminism was ascendant – the 1980s – and how anyone who was “with it” called themselves feminists. Even men did. If you weren’t pro-feminist, you were an old fuddy-duddy — a primitive dinosaur. Only out-of-touch, dorky squares weren’t feminists.

That’s changing. Just last week, Carla Bruni Sarkozy rejected feminism, saying “We don’t need to be feminists in my generation. There are pioneers who paved the way. I am not at all a feminist activist.” An angry feminist online mob then forced her to apologize, but I doubt it made her like feminists any more than she did before.

But it wasn’t only Carla Bruni who rejected the label; Katy Perry also rejected feminism when she accepted the Billboard Woman of the Year award (you can watch the speech here), saying “I am not a feminist, but I do believe in the power of women.”

So what’s going on here? I think the resistance to feminism has started to have a real impact. These people are celebrities, and they are very much aware of public perception. They don’t want to be pigeonholed along with the likes of Sandra Fluke into the angry, radfem warrior category.

A real, palpable popular resentment toward the self-righteous feminist ideologues has started to emerge, and those who rely on fans who are for the most part ordinary people are beginning to distance themselves from them. This is how the strategy I outlined the other day – fighting back against feminists without pulling punches – has worked. If enough people – and it doesn’t take a whole lot – escalate the intensity of the rhetoric against feminism, people in general start to feel that there must really be something wrong with the ideology (which there is). Generally, it takes some years of sustained noise for it to start working, but it does happen eventually.

brigadon December 6, 2012 at 12:32

I think it’s more a matter of distancing themselves from the ‘word’ feminist as it slowly becomes a political liability. A huge number of evils are starting to be recognized as the direct results of feminism, and refusing to call themselves ‘feminists’ is akin to the KKK and New Nazi Party calling themselves ‘White Nationalists’ in order to shed the old label’s negative association without altering their core philosophy one whit.

I suspect that a new ‘PC’ label for feminism is in the offing. That may have been the goal of ‘athiest+’, to provide a new, politically correct label that would have allowed the old monster to don a new skin.

Zorro December 6, 2012 at 12:32

I wish I could share your enthusiasm, but I think there are no more women today who reject the misandry of the mob than did 40 years ago. If you can force a “high profile” woman to apologize for refusing to bow down before your altar of misandry, then you are almost as powerful as Islam.

When Katy Perry says she’s not a feminist but believes in the power of women, she is preemptively apologizing, since the “power of women” is held to be synonymous with feminism. She is practically begging to not be hated. Why do you think Sarah Palin said she was a feminist? If they assault her with her background, they can hardly champion self-made women.

It’s all what can be achieved and defended in the public sphere and who says it. The war for and against feminism will be fought overwhelmingly by women, since any man who says feminism sucks is deemed to be overtly mysoginistic.

Still, it’s pretty to think so.

Anonymous Reader December 6, 2012 at 12:39

Meh. It’s just talk. And talk is cheap. Note that none of those broads are willing to give up the goodies, the special privileges, that they get. So they are just saying stuff. BIll Clinton called this “boob bait for bubba”, and he should know.

See, their actions don’t match their words. Game tells me which is more important…and it ain’t words. Six months from now they could all be singing a different tune . Especially that alpha-widow Katy Perry.

Anonymous Reader December 6, 2012 at 12:41

Me, either.

RMM December 6, 2012 at 12:52

The lesson about women that has served me best through my life applies directly here:

“Watch what they do, not what they say.”

They can try to pain themselves with a coat of NAWALT-ness all they want, but what matters is what they do. And they still act very much the same.

“I am not a feminist, but I do believe in the power of women.”

Feminism a la carte. I’ll take a bit of this, and a bit of that, but I’ll be happy to let you pay for everything and worship me. I’m not like that, see? I don’t like feminists either! What, cook? What century are you from? I’m a modern woman with powaaaahhhh.

To be honest, they can say or do whatever they want; I really find myself caring very little for the dearies these days.

The Trend December 6, 2012 at 12:55

Good thing a lot of women are starting to break their silence on this. They are sick and tired of angry man hating bitches telling them how to interact with men. As MLK said- “In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

Anonymous age 70 December 6, 2012 at 12:57

Words. If you murder, you are a murderer, and what you call yourself matters not. If you rape, you are a rapist, and what you call yourself matters not.

If you take advantage of all the feminist laws and powers you are a feminist, and what you call yourself matters not. Period.

zed December 6, 2012 at 13:06

BEWALTTTEDATM

“But, ENOUGH Women ARE ‘Like That’, That The Exceptions Don’t Amount To Much.”

Ghost December 6, 2012 at 13:19

Garbage. Be a feminist but don’t call yourself that because you know it’s a loaded word in today’s society.

Lysander Spooner December 6, 2012 at 13:21

“I’m not a feminist”

Translation: “Please, really, ask me out, I’m not one of those crazy beotches”.

I have learned, watch what they do, not what they say.

JFinn December 6, 2012 at 13:27

Yeah, Lady Gaga and Taylor swift came out with similar statements. They all push many feminist tropes, though. Everyone is infected by it. A mere lip-service statement is rather empty. I’d be more interested in the advocacy for boys and men.

Lysander Spooner December 6, 2012 at 13:29

“I’m not a feminist”

Translation: “It’s ok to buy me baubles, bangles and shiny stuff”

Reality: They still gonna steal half your sh*t , take your kids, send you the bill and flaunt it in your face. You still get to sleep in the Dodge Dart.

geographybeefinalisthimself December 6, 2012 at 13:30

“They don’t want to be pigeonholed along with the likes of Sandra Fluke into the angry, radfem warrior category.”

But they still want a never-ending, never-sufficing amount of perks solely for having a labia, clitoris, and zero Y chromosomes. They still want harpies like Sandra Fluke to do their bidding.

El Bastardo December 6, 2012 at 13:56

I think these women know the trends; and it is possible that when the government money runs out so too does the feminist umbrella of protection over female abusers of men. It is like the movie Rockstar (I think that is it anyways?); where the steel dragon musician tells Wahlberg’s character that “men buy the records, because women **** us.”

These two women might be seeing the writing on the wall; or maybe since they are millionaires there are accountant and Publicity advisers warning them what not to say and be the “new PC?”

Either way I have but one thing to say; It’s about freakin time.

zed December 6, 2012 at 14:15

And, they will keep demanding them as long as the average man remains stupid enough to keep giving them.

Anyone who has ever raised a child knows that they would never grow out of the terrible-twos if the parents did not put their foot down and make them grow up.

Factory December 6, 2012 at 14:16

Kinda puts the lie to all those ‘why can’t we just get along types’ hey Bill? Think back all those years ago, when Glenn’s site imploded over that very sentiment, with the accusations of ‘misogyny’ and ‘hatemonger’ being thrown at MRAs, by MRAs.

We got where we did, as fast as we did, because we thumbed our nose at Political Correctness, we laughed at accusations of misogyny and bitterness, and we found ways to help men with understanding, and dealing with the current culture. We are developing an entirely new social awareness for men, from the ground up, with zero ‘official’ help.

Because people respect people who stand up for their beliefs. People DON’T respect asskisser quislings who ‘go along to get along’.

Personally, I’m tickled rosy over the last few years’ progress, and I can’t wait to see what’s next.

Antifeminist One December 6, 2012 at 14:20

I wouldn’t be so quick to agree that a name is just a word. Yes, feminism is as feminism does (thanks Forrest), but I think this situation can be used very well for a significant strike against them.

Destroy their identity, destroy the flag that they unite under. Split their movement up into factions which should be more easily managed. Maybe even coerced into fighting eachother like MRM/PUA/whoever else apparently does.

Will-Penny December 6, 2012 at 14:20

Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, and Hollywood Are Ruining Women, says Camille Paglia

Enjoy!

Masked Stranger December 6, 2012 at 14:22

“One more thing. If Carla Bruni-Sarkozy really rejects feminism, then let her be known only as Carla Sarkozy. Think she”ll do that?

Me, either.”

Just because a woman doesn’t take her husband last name doesn’t mean she’s a feminist. If that is the case than the women in the Middle East are feminist, because most of them keep their last name. In Islamic tradition, a women is allowed to keep her last name as long as children take her husband’s name.

Opus December 6, 2012 at 14:28

Pity about that Carla Bruni saying ‘We don’t need to be feminists in my generation. They are pioneers who paved the way’. Quite right too. Until the 1960s Italian fashion modeling was dominated by men – all prancing up and down the catwalk, but then thanks to feminists any ordinary woman (with a body to die for) could do the same. You go grrrl. Is she going to be like Mlle Le Pen and seek power on her own account (bye bye Sarkozy).

JQ December 6, 2012 at 15:28

Curiously, I was hearing the other day in a Montreal radio station a couple of women talking. The feminist topic popped up and one of them commented that the “feminist” label has become a negative one. The other one agreed; both of them seemed puzzled, but none of them could explain why.

keyster December 6, 2012 at 15:29

It’s merely the WORD itself that’s gone out of fashion. Feminism is NOT sexy. Being a strong, independent and empowered woman is. The word jumped the shark, not the basic premise behind the ideology. Slut (if in a slut walk) is OK. Women’s Rights Activist is OK. Even Sandra Fluke is a “Women’s Healthcare Advocate”. She doesn’t refer to herself as a feminist, although she wouldn’t deny that she was.

Feminist and Feminism connotates a bitter, angry man-hating woman. How can you expect to fully sublimate young men if you hate them by definition? Even the sisters at N.O.W. rarely envoke the “F” word in mixed company. You can’t find the word on their home page.

“Women’s Rights” is Feminism in sheep clothing.
Just as militant, subversive and corrupt as ever.
If EVERYONE is a feminist, then the word loses it’s power.

MRA’s take note – Words matter.

Troll King December 6, 2012 at 15:30

Kinda OT.

5 Reasons to beware of feminist men

Lulz.

hunt December 6, 2012 at 15:43

The predator develops new camouflage and methodology as the amounts of prey decrease,adapt to predation,and move to new territory.

Uncle Elmer December 6, 2012 at 16:11

Heidi Klum Reboots: The World’s Most Famous Model Makes Over Her Life

elmer casts his vote :

Not with a crane…

El Bastardo December 6, 2012 at 16:13

@Keyster

I agree with you here. I think it is a lot like the break-up of standard oil. Feminism had the monopoly on all political discourse; and now men are thinking that with the break up thatt there will be a more efficient transfer and fairness.

Yeah, right! Once Standard Oil was broken up, and guys like Ford started bulding his cars; the big company conveniently “broke up” into Amoco, Exxon, and one other big name. In other words; Standard Oil went from dominating in the public eye to the background Yet it still controlled everything.

I think these women are smart. Rather than be just feminist; break off all the terms under the one umbrella and make a hundred small ones. Different tactic; same effect. I think they realize that feminism is the old news anchor”woman” who has wisely come to the conculsion she is no longer the beautiful vixen who once commanded male desire. Time to move behind the camera; and “raise” all the future viens to be spitting images of your virulent, whorrish self.

El Bastardo December 6, 2012 at 16:14

Oh, and good riddance.

will December 6, 2012 at 16:43

““I am not a feminist, but I do believe in the power of women.”

Indications that high profile women are still feminists it is just the changing of skins since their cover is blown.

greyghost December 6, 2012 at 17:48

“I am not a feminist, but I do believe in the power of women”

This is a public bitch maintaining herd status. Remember the pinciples of game and the nature of women. Women can and do talk out of both sides of their mouth. Welmer is right it is foot to the throat time.

Uncle Elmer December 6, 2012 at 17:56

“I am not a doctor, but I play one on TV”.

zed December 6, 2012 at 18:40

“I don’t care if it looks like bullshit, smells like bullshit, and tastes like bullshit, it is really sirloin steak!”

sestamibi December 6, 2012 at 19:43

Oh please. We’ve heard “I’m not a feminist, but . . . ” for years now. All these bitches are doing is freeriding on the bullying their forebears have successfully used to intimidate men for almost 50 years now.

When they get out of the work force and start popping out babies again, then I’ll concede you have a point.

Anonymous Reader December 6, 2012 at 19:50

Me

Me, either.”

Masked Stranger

It does in the modern West.

But Carla Bruni is (a) not Moslem (b) not married to a Moslem (c) not living in the Middle East (yet, anyway) therefore “Islamic tradition” is totally irrelevant to this example. In fact, it’s a non sequitur.

Attila December 6, 2012 at 20:43

It’s because they realize that their chances of snatching a male will be less unfavorable if they say they don’t sympathize with The Cause. It’s still all ME, ME, ME – never forget that.

Rebel December 6, 2012 at 20:48

Funny but I can smell bull-shit all around and around…

Honestly, does anyone here believe what we are beiing told?

Is anyone that stupid?

I don’t think so!

Outcast Superstar December 6, 2012 at 21:11

They are still Feminists, they are merely only trying to dupe people especially men that they are not like that.

In fact I did a write on NOT All Women are like that a few years a go

continent December 6, 2012 at 21:31

@ geographybee…………
When you wrote that women want perks solely for “having labia etc”
Have you noticed that even young women who unlikely have had children have labias that look like cabagge patch. Wikipedia shows how they are supposed to look. What has happened?

sally1137 December 6, 2012 at 22:00

You go, guys!

I am not a feminist. I am an individualist. I agree with you.

TFH December 6, 2012 at 23:45

One form of contrarian activism that can make an impact online is a various of our Strike Force that we have engaged in here for a while.

Go to a website outside of the Androsphere, and pretend to be a RadFem misandrist.

That’s right. Say things that we all know feminists have said, like ’90% of men should be exterminated’ or ‘men should have to pay more child support since all men are deadbeats’.

The value of this is that ordinary men will see this and begin to recoil. They will notice that women and manginas don’t reject this extremism (and will not even be able to tell that we are shills).

This exposes more men to the true colors of feminism. In the online realm, this is effective at accelerating the disrepute of feminism.

Steve_85 December 7, 2012 at 04:54

A rose by any other name, would still be covered in just as many thorns.

Take The Red Pill December 7, 2012 at 06:51

It doesn’t matter a damn how much they ‘reject’ the feminist label. This reminds me of how so many Germans denied that they were Nazis after the end of World War II.

“If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck…”

zed December 7, 2012 at 07:18

Oh please. We’ve heard “I’m not a feminist, but . . . ” for years now.

“Wuhhhhl,
ah’m not a phem-in-nist,
buhhhht,
ah dew,
buh-leeeve,
in eeeeee-kwuhl pay
fer eeeeee-kwulh werk.”

John Galt December 7, 2012 at 07:41

So . . . they are looking for a new term for the same thing representing immaturity, lack of character, etc.

Same shit, different asshole.

Opus December 7, 2012 at 07:52

‘I’m not a masculinist, but I do believe in the power of men’.

Women’s rights just like all other rights are really only permissions – permissions given them principally by men, much like a dog is given a bone; a cat, cat-nip; and a soldier, a tin medal. All it actually says and reinforces is the message that the woman does not have primacy, and all the rights in the world can never achieve that, but merely cover her physical moral and mental inferiority – thus the envy to knock men down so as to raise herself up, preferably supported by people like the charming Futrelle.

I think one could have minutes of fun questioning any woman who announced that she was not a feminist but etc etc, so as to reveal she is the very thing she denies. In the case of Carla Bruni, her success is due to biology, and marrying top politico Sarkhozy – perhaps feminism is simply marrying up, but we usually spell that H-Y-P-E-R-G-A-M-Y. I believe that Miss Perry may be a crooner, so doubtless much the same applies. It is important however for these women to distance themselves as one might otherwise gain the impression that their success was not due to their merits and thus no better than any other woman. I recall Soviet composeress Galina Ustvolskaya explaining why she did not want to be part of some concert series featuring only Female composers. She wanted to be judged – she said – against the best (i.e. men) – but what she was really implying is that she was better than all those also-ran soviet female-composers (bitch!). Perhaps Bruni and Perry are effectively saying the same thing.

confused December 7, 2012 at 07:58

I think both feminists and non-feminists believe in the higher value of females and male disposability.

Don’t really care what you call them.

Eric J Schlegel December 7, 2012 at 08:05

*CLAP…CLAP…CLAP*(slowly)…any woman who tries to tell me she is “not a feminist” need only be reminded of the laws and customs immediately available to their aid. Yet it takes a small lecture just to get the basic point across, that they ARE privileged, for the fact that they have been immersed in it all their lives. I am reminded of an episode of “Pepper Ann” on ABC network about 15 years ago; All the moms who had “fought for womans’ rights” 30 years prior were trying to impress on the young girls of the titular character how much had been won for them. Her reply was that “We don’t need to be reminded that we are as good as boys and have the same rights and abilities…”
The cartoon ended on the idea that they had “arrived” and there was no longer any need to “fight for the cause.” In other words, they won the war a long time ago and so the term “Feminist” is redundant.

greyghost December 7, 2012 at 09:57

This is normal and always has been and has never ever been a time when it wasn’t true. God given fella’s no amout of anything from men and damn sure from women will change that. Point it out to the masses and make sure men understand it.
But one thing I really think we all should see for what it is. ” It’s because they realize that their chances of snatching a male will be less unfavorable if they say they don’t sympathize with The Cause.” Outstanding job men At one time a male that needed a woman to be down with the cause was a bitter loser to all not just the fringe. next thing you know women on fox news will be debateing child custody laws rather than should women let men take out the trash. Maybe in the end women will demand that women not be allowed to vote. Remember all will be done out of pure wicked selfishness. Our job is just to define what selfishness is, and the hamster will eat anything.

ybm December 7, 2012 at 13:03

In finance this is called “Hedging”

gilgamesh December 7, 2012 at 15:27

They can reject the label all they want, talk is cheap and at best they think of tradition as “men buying me shit while I ignore all of my traditional obligations.”

Tam the Bam December 8, 2012 at 09:12

The Bruni-Sarko hyphenated monicker thing is a pretty common euro styling.
I was going to say “affectation”, but the Spanish, bless them, have been doing all sorts of anarchic things with their family names since forever. “In an English-speaking environment, Spanish-named people sometimes hyphenate their surnames to avoid Anglophone confusion or to fill-out forms with only one space provided for last name, thus: Mr. José Antonio Gómez-Iglesias.”
Likewise the Nogs and allied trades, esp. if they are just shacked up as normal (“sambo” in Swedish), the kids get a double-barreler. Mind you they’ve only just got around to surnames, before that everybody was Dadfirstnamesson or Dadsfirstnamesdottir. Or a Farm.)

Although an expensive piece of upholstery like Mz Bruni may also have half an eye on the foibles of the (rotting, relatively impoverished, hopelessly inbred but still vaguely esteemed by foreigners only, for no very good reason I can see) English aristocracy. Seeing as the French had the good sense to thoroughly edit theirs.

william December 8, 2012 at 15:14

@ keyster “Feminist and Feminism connotates a bitter, angry man-hating woman.” Exactly. They’re really just rejecting the image of what a feminist is.

Michael December 11, 2012 at 14:24

No, if they would be no feminists, they would be at home caring for their husbands. Women are there to serve man, as man is there to serve God. And no, I am not Islam, I am a Christian and I think we should follow the family model propagated by the Apostel Paul.