Heads up on Feed

by W.F. Price on September 21, 2012

Readers who are accustomed to reading our content on the feed, which I set up several years ago with Feedburner, may have noticed that the feed stopped updating a few days ago. This has happened before with Feedburner, so I didn’t think much of it at first, but after a couple days I started to wonder what was going on.

Turns out Google may be preparing to shut it down, which is an ominous development for small publishers like myself.

Fortunately, however, if it turns out that Feedburner is really set to go away, I can redirect for a month to the original feed, and I already have an email subscription service set up through Aweber.

For now, I disabled redirection to Feedburner (if it isn’t updating there’s no point), so you can access the feed at the native feed URL: the-spearhead.com/feed

I’m going to wait and see what happens with the feed for the next couple days, but given Google’s recent moves I’m not all that optimistic about Feedburner. For now, just use the above link to access the feed, and it should work until I decide to use another feed publisher or simply go with the native feed permanently.

freebird September 21, 2012 at 12:02

Figured I would try to get into the forum?
But got a page with no log in.
Was going to guess at the old username and password.
What’s the URL for the forum?
If it’s going?
Or is it by subscription only now?

ahamkara September 21, 2012 at 14:29

OT

Slut culture! Can’t wait to see what happens when they open their branch in Afghanistan.

zed September 21, 2012 at 14:51

What’s the URL for the forum?

Davani September 21, 2012 at 15:54

Hey W.F. Price,

This is slightly off-topic, but can you do an essay on the following recent article in the New York Times:

It was posted yesterday, Sep. 20.

I’m not saying this is a typical example of male desperation in the West… but nonetheless, it is, in fact, fairly typical. It’s not happening in a vacuum. Something similar (on a smaller scale) is extremely rampant among men in the US right now.

Lorne Bettman September 21, 2012 at 19:11

“Can you discuss the question of why a perfectly normal-looking 39-year-old American man, mature and stable and with a good job, not that young, never married/no kids, succumbs to such loneliness and desperation?”

That’s the problem, he’s too “boring” to appeal to the modern woman! If he dressed like a Cholo or a Rapper, had tattoos and looked like a criminal, the women would be chasing him! Nice and respectable is only attractive to overseas women, not American or women in the western culture!

Matt Forney September 21, 2012 at 21:03

Bill, are you sure this is Google’s fault? I’m using Feedburner for my blog and my feed is working fine. I just re-subscribed to the Spearhead with the native feed URL and I’m having the same problem with the Feedburner one: the thing won’t update. The most recent post it shows is your post on the “Battered Woman Defense” from Monday.

W.F. Price September 22, 2012 at 02:41

-Matt Forney

Well, it’s a question, but I checked the Google groups and Feedburner is having issues with subscriber accounts. Evidently, a lot of people’s feeds aren’t being served either.

For some reason the feed is up to date in Live Bookmarks, but not Google reader or Safari. That’s what I can’t figure out. Obviously, it’s being served somehow, but not all feed fetchers are getting the updates. I suspect they are still crawling the feedburner account, which isn’t being updated. It takes time for a reader to switch the address I believe (not sure how long).

freebird September 22, 2012 at 03:27

Thanks zed,was missing the plural.
Bookmarked the feed page and used it just a moment ago,the doggone rascal had the weeks old post as top post.(unlike yesterday)

So will bookmark the main site and use that.Right to the source.
It’s all glitchy up in there.

freebird September 22, 2012 at 03:32

Got a “no forums found here” message on the direct link zed posted,assuming it’s by subscription only.(It’s not national security,the subversives invested are already in there)

Will add I’m using firefox with various plugins.
By golly,by gosh,gee willikers!

W.F. Price September 22, 2012 at 04:18

@freebird

Sorry, I’m currently testing the feed.

Things will be wonky for a bit.

I’m going through all the plugins to figure out if any one of them is the source of the problem, so it will cause some changes temporarily. But the site itself should stay online fine.

Gay State Girl September 23, 2012 at 21:13

“A 39-year-old NYC man is so lonely and has such trouble finding women that he has to resort to standing in the middle of the street in the Bronx holding up a sign saying “Please Date Me.””

Where there’s smoke…