Two Kidnappings Compared

by W.F. Price on September 11, 2012

A Californian man named Christopher Maffei made off with his two children and attempted to flee in a stolen sailboat before being tracked down by military surveillance planes and boarded by an FBI team (probably SWAT). He offered no resistance whatsoever, and is currently in jail being held on $200,000 bail.

He took the children from their grandmother while his ex girlfriend, the mother of the children, was in court filing a restraining order against him.

While in court, Maffei attempted to defend his actions by saying the children were in an abusive environment. The judge dismissed his claims and cut him off.

Sound familiar?

If so, that’s because last week I wrote about Holly Collins, who did the exact same thing, but was actually successful. No US military operations were launched to recover Mark Collins’ children; nobody did a damn thing.

Like Mr. Maffei, Holly’s claims of abuse were rejected by judges. She, too, had lost custody. But she never spent a day in jail and – even better – some people produced a documentary giving credence to her spurious claims of abuse.

If anything shines a light on the double standard in family law, this is it. Holly Collins’ kidnapping was ignored, while Christopher Maffei’s resulted in the kind of operation normally reserved for major international drug smugglers.

I can’t support Maffei’s actions — tolerating them would open up all sorts of parents to the kind of tragedy that befell Mark Collins. In fact, the reason I am so disgusted by Barry Nolan, who produced the documentary defending Holly’s crimes, is that supporting her kidnapping opens the door to terrible abuses. Any mother could simply make off with a father’s kids and make claims of abuse, and deprive him of the right to parent his children.

But it is kind of sad and pathetic to see a man so misguided as to think he could get away with this. What man in his right mind would ever believe that he could get away with trying to take his children from their mother?

Given how implausible the idea is, I can only assume that Maffei was desperate, and perhaps delusional. Maybe he saw this as his last chance to be a father, and had some wild dream about sailing to Mexico and starting over.

Now, of course, we’re all treated to the spectacle of a broken man hauled in by the air cavalry.

Men, if you are ever tempted to make off with your kids, keep this story in mind. You will never, ever get a Holly Collins style get-out-of-jail free card, and you’re likely to end up in prison for a very long time. As of now, perhaps the only consolation left to Maffei is that, thanks to new federal guidelines for incarcerated obligees, at least his child support will be automatically lowered for what’s likely to be the rest of his kids’ childhood.

Uncle Elmer September 11, 2012 at 12:08

Maybe he read a bit too much of “Anonymous Age 70″ and decided to make a go of it.

Anonymous age 70 September 11, 2012 at 13:16

Good one, Elmer. I think. Heh, heh.

I do not recommend taking the kids and running. I do recommend my GTHO program, though. Before you have kids.

I cannot guarantee that no man will ever have his kids stolen away in Mexico. I can say the odds are much smaller, and also that the odds are very small you will be jailed for not paying more support than your earnings.

My best friend tells me most Mexican women don’t even apply for court ordered support payments. The laws are there, but it is not the social mandate one finds in the US. She should know. Her son has two kids by different women, and has not been ordered to pay a cent to either. One of those women went to Cancun and asked him to send money for his kid. He told her to go pound sand, so she went and pounded sand.

livingwell September 11, 2012 at 13:26

Hey u-elmer, your getting old.

Highwasp September 11, 2012 at 13:30

Mr. Maffei was old school. He believed he had rights and responsibilities. He was told throughout his life that as a man he was head of his house, the protector and provider. He took it seriously and when he realized his ex was attempting to take his children, he did the most natural thing a man can do – he protected his kids from that threat…

He will now get the full treatment, like Winston from the book 1984. Mr. Maffei will admit he’s sorry he ever embraced his masculinity and profess his love of ‘Big Brother’ before they are through with him.

Anonymous age 70 September 11, 2012 at 13:39

When I supplied counseling to divorced dads, I had two men who took the kids and ran.

The first one, the mother was very abusive, to the kid and to him. He sought relief, a judge let’s call him Judge Idiot. refused in a very arrogant manner, refusing to believe any dearie would ever commit abuse.

Later, a cop sat there and did nothing while she pounded on him and the son. Same response when he went back to court. No problem found.

He took the kid and ran. He got 2,000 miles when a cop spotted an adult man and a little boy in a park during school hours.

They sent the kid home to sweet, non-violent mommy, and tied daddy up like a hog to slaughter, tossed him back of a prison van, and carried him across the country.

Judge Idiot promptly removed all visitation rights for the father.

Judge Idiot was also on the bail committee, and insisted on 15% of bail on double the normal bail amount, which made it hard to post bail So, a hostile judge was perhaps violating judicial canons by taking hostile actions against a man he had previously shown hostility towards..

He asked me what to do. I told him to go the law library at the State University, and look up Federal lawsuits, to be filed against the judge. He did, and when the law students saw him sitting there asked what he needed.

When he told them what had happened, they got all excited, and made it an impromptu project.

When he filed the papers they made up for him, Judge Idiot filed a response that he was exempt from lawsuit, being a judge. The Federal Judge said he wanted the case to go forwards.

Judge Idiot recused himself from the bond committee, and when the smoke cleared, dad had visitation rights again. And, for unknown reasons, Mom decided not to pound on her son or the son’s father.

I had forgotte that case. There was another one, less interesting, but same Judge Idiot.

Ray had 14 witnesses to testify his superior parenting. Mom had her mother and sisters. Judge Idiot told Ray’s attorney he would sit through 14 character witnesses if he had to, but Ray would be very sorry. So, Ray only presented the same number of witnesses.

In his ruling, JUDGE IDIOT SAID THE EVIDENCE WAS EQUAL ON BOTH SIDES AS TO FITNESS FOR CUSTODY, so Mommy got the kids. Well, yeah, he had made it equal so I guess it was.

Ray took the girls and ran. First day in school in another state, the girls told the teacher they were stolen by daddy. He also came back in irons.

He told me later he was scared out of his wits. Ray is a very lightly built man and thought he’d be used for a honey by the big thugs. Instead, once they learned what he had done. they heroized him. He said now he is not afraid of jail.

This was over 20 years ago. Last I heard, he was running a shelter for homeless men in that same community, unless he has recently died or something. He is well into his 70′s.

I do not ever advocate any illegal actions or violent crimes. But, the fact that Judge Idiot has survived this long does not say much for the manhood of AM. He told the Father’s Rights Group one night he never believed any claims by a man that his wife was abusing children. In fact, he said that proves the man is as abusive as the woman. If you understand that logic, feel free to explain it to me.

There are many Judge Idiots out there.

Troll King September 11, 2012 at 14:04

Yknow, feminists love to harp on and on about how fathers are considered “babysitting” when they step up to the plate in matters of parenting. I can actually understand and get behind those feminist claims, at least to some degree.

Now, if feminists would simply apply the same reasoning to this other idea. Namely, YOU CAN”T FUCKIN KIDNAP YOUR OWN GODDAMN CHILDREN!!!!

I mean, seriously! How does that even calculate? They are his children! Full Stop!

I honestly don’t give a shit about ideas of third-party custody contracts, for one simply reason.

Judges, the system, have lost honor with the part of the Rawlsian social contract.

According to Rawls, individuals within the collective can surrender, only temporarily, certain liberties and rights and freedoms to the government on one condition and one condition only, that the people surrending these liberties are granting a common trust to the government entity that will hold these liberties/etc.

Once that trust is broken then the social contract, atleast according to Rawls and many other Classical Liberal Egalitarians, is null and void and the individuals have a responsibility to rebel and, if need be, forcibly take back the rights and liberties that they gave up under the social contract for their betterment.

I wonder how long it will be until the populace realizes that they no longer have a presumption of trust with the government system that they created, or are involved in, with respect to the social contract?

Unfortunately I think it will be a long time due to the fact that the individually based collective has given up too many freedoms and liberties with respect to the social contract.

For example/ The public education system fails in its responsibilities, the responsibilities and freedoms given through trust by the people in the social contract, because they no longer educate the populace on what their liberties and rights are. An ignorant populace is a easily controlled populace.

**Yes, I have been readin and studying way too much social and political philosophy lately. I am actually taking a class on it currently and just read Rawls book yesterday.

Troll King September 11, 2012 at 14:14

OT.

Lawlz.

So female professors are now breastfeeding sick babies during their lectures….I don’t even know what to say.

She sounds like a abusive mom. The baby almost choked on a paper clip.

Troll King September 11, 2012 at 14:18

OT.

Chris Brown got a new tattoo. Isn’t he so dweemy? I bet a million teen girls just squirted in their panties after seeing his new bad boy design.

Troll King September 11, 2012 at 14:33

Ot.

Awwweee….Amanda Marcotte is super duper upset. This super duper strong and independent and empowered feminist, along with many other amazonian feminist skepchicks, is super duper angry and super duper sadzz because of “her-ASS-ment”.

OMGAWDZZZZ! We better call her a whambulance and get all chivalrous up in this biatch and run to protect her lil fee fees.

Lulz. It is amazing how all these super empowered amozonian women deflate with the existence of mere words uttered by “impotent” manchildren. Oh, the horror of horrors. It’s like totes, like, umm, like, umm, being oppressed, like de umm, blacks during slavery or sumthin.

Thos September 11, 2012 at 15:36

Men ending? Sure, if you have lots of shoddy research.

crella September 11, 2012 at 17:50

One week…..if all the men in America walked off their jobs for one week, every last one of them, we’d see pretty quickly on whose shoulders the underpinnings of life as we know it lie. Impossible I know, but that’s all it would take to break them.

Charles Martel September 11, 2012 at 18:25

A man I know told me this kidnapping story yesterday.

The man’s ex-girlfriend, with whom he has a seven year old son, recently took his son to Florida with her boyfriend. The man told me that at the hearing several months ago the family court judge told the ex-girlfriend that she could not take the man’s son out of state and if she did that would be kidnapping.

Her response, spoken directly to the judge, “he’s my son and I’m taking him to Florida!”

The man found out yesterday that the boyfriend is now in jail in Florida because – get this – he’s a level 3 sex offender who moved out of state without notifying the SORB and without registering in Florida.

The ex-girlfriend was shacked up with the boyfriend for more than a year before moving to Florida. The man I know is now in an agonized mental state because his son always begged him not to have to return to his mother after his weekend visitations. He’s now imagining an appalling scenario and has no idea what may have happened to his son over the last year or more.

Needless to say, no SWAT team has been dispatched to Florida to rescue his son.

ActaNonVerba September 11, 2012 at 20:03

Sooooooooo predictable. But, good to point this out in any case.

Avenger September 11, 2012 at 20:40

The Kid

Chaplin finds an abandoned kid and adopts him.

B+W no sound and almost a 100 years old but you get an idea how people entertained themselves back then.
It’s a bit of a tearjerker when they try to take the kid away.

Morrisfactor September 11, 2012 at 21:14

Actor Sterling Hayden did something similar, taking his four kids on his large schooner WANDERER, to Tahiti against court orders.

“Sterling Hayden often professed distaste for film acting, claiming he did it mainly to pay for his ships and voyages. In 1958, after a bitter divorce, he was awarded custody of his children. He defied a court order and sailed to Tahiti with all four children, Christian, Dana, Gretchen and Matthew.[12] Marin County Superior Court Judge Harold Haley would later order Hayden to repay Republic Pictures, who financed the trip via two promissory notes, nearly $50,000 for defaulting on an agreement to repay the debt.” – Wilkipedia

Avenger September 11, 2012 at 21:38

Morris-he had custody. The money he was ordered to pay was just a debt.

Avenger September 11, 2012 at 22:01

btw, was Marcotte the one who won the Spearhead “beauty” contest?

walking in hell2 September 11, 2012 at 23:53

Once again, here is where the backwardness of America is clear. Older patriarchal societies such as Saudi Arabia and Iran would give custody to the man when the child is seven years old.

American law is diametrically opposed to these patriarchal societies. American law uses the case where a man is trying to assert his inborn rights to his children as a case to show the world that “no man” is going to get away with kidnapping his ex wife’s children. The man will be destroyed. The only way he can get away with such a move is if he has money hidden away and a second nationality.

It brings up a delicate point. Should you support America in any endeavor against a patriarchal country?

My answer is no. By supporting America in any endeavor against a patriarchal country, you are destroying yourself, and that is idiotic. If America was patriarchal, many of men would have a shot at a decent life complete with a wife, children, jobs, and retirement.

Gilgamesh September 12, 2012 at 00:25

Nope, Jessica Valenti won. By elimination.

Joe Carbunkle September 12, 2012 at 07:13

Sailboat; the worlds fastest getaway vehicle. You’d think he would have picked another mode of transportation maybe a minivan or a motorhome. Sailboats aren’t exactly had to find on the open water.

Darryl X September 12, 2012 at 08:22

“Any mother could simply make off with a father’s kids and make claims of abuse, and deprive him of the right to parent his children.”

If I’m not mistaken, most mothers who are divorcing their husbands DO simply make off with a father’s kids and make (false) claims of abuse.

Darryl X September 12, 2012 at 08:26

“…thanks to new federal guidelines for incarcerated obligees, at least his child support will be automatically lowered…”

Can someone please point me to this guideline as I am not aware of it. That being written, there are all kinds of guidelines for calculating child support which are routinely ignored.

Darryl X September 12, 2012 at 08:35

@ Anonymous age 70 -

“If you understand that logic, feel free to explain it to me.”

Someone on a previous threat (sorry I don’t remember who) referred to this as a Kafka Trap. Sounds right to me. Sorry but I can’t explain the logic except that judges pander to their political base which is women. Family court is just one big con job. Judges are in on the con and fathers are the marks.

LysanderSpooner September 12, 2012 at 11:01

My Ex-Wifey kidnapped my children, twin boys, when they were 8. She was awarded custody. She also stole my passport and destroyed it. Her parents and her were from Czechoslovakia, and I had them tailed by my own Private Investigator who made it known to them he was there, thankfully, they never took off to Europe. Absolutely nothing happened to that C*NT. No double standard here, nothing to see, move along, yeah right !!

When they were 12, they came running to me, I got custody, and rescued them from their psycho rental uterus.

I tell them not to marry ever, if they choose to have children, get a pre-birth agreement that they get custody of the children, and don’t ever let a beotch live with you, she can rob you, drop a dime on you and kidnap your children with impunity and no consequence.
Reply · Like · Unfollow Post · 2 minutes ago

LysanderSpooner September 12, 2012 at 11:06

Oh, and she also stole my Lexus, she is a car thief, I think they used to hang horse thieves.

Oh, and I had to pay her attorney fees, over $6 GRAND.

Oh, and she got half the value of my Medical Practice, never went to medical school, never paid any of my student loans, never did jack, she was a flight attendant, part time.

Oh, and Teh Wimminz believe in EEKQWAULITEEEEE !

LysanderSpooner September 12, 2012 at 11:07

Oh, and F*ck You America.

W.F. Price September 12, 2012 at 11:07

-Lysander Spooner

Yep. Been there. I remember wondering “why the hell would she steal my passport?” Didn’t take me long to figure it out…

Avenger September 12, 2012 at 12:45

never did jack, she was a flight attendant, part time.

This why that these days doctors tend to marry other female doctors or at least some professional who has as much to lose as themselves.
Report the passport lost and get a replacment immediately. And her passport and the kids should have been locked up somewhere.

LysanderSpooner September 12, 2012 at 13:35

@Avenger

Agree. Got to have skin in the game. My twins, now 23, are planning for Medical School themselves, I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree. As far as marrying a female Doctor, not such a great idea in my opinion. Most have lots of debt, will work full time only a few years and have severe feminist mental illness. I advise them to never marry.

As far as my passport goes, it all happened about 15 years ago, I did get mine replaced, my sons have control of their own passports, but point well taken: These beotches are crazy !!!! ;)

Avenger September 12, 2012 at 14:49

Not if she’s a doctor from Russia or some place where they had no loans or debt. A gf of mine got her degree at 22 Perhaps a few years to get licensed there. And I’ve never detected any signs of mental illness in any of the females I know.
And btw, I meant any female with some sort of assets that she’ll bring to a marriage. Females are going to be less likely to want a divorce or run off if hey can’t benefit from it or just break even and get what they put in back.

Avenger September 12, 2012 at 15:03

Maffei made an error. He put he cart before the horse. He had to deal with the wife first.

There have been a number of men who have ran off with the kid(s) and they’ve been succcessful but it’s not the norm because most of them do it without proper planning and when they are not thinking clearly and emotional.
There was a man in Manhattan who took his 2 small daughters and went to Florida to live. I don’t recall why he came back but by this time the girls were 20 and knew only him while the mother was a stranger. It’s also hard to prosecute someone who has been away for so long and with the daughters giving him all of their support.

Avenger September 12, 2012 at 15:16

Hey Spooner, you ever notie that a lot of the young female pharmacists today are good looking and have nice personalities? I guess that’s a 5 year degree in most States now but many of the higher paid ones can earn $100k. Regular hours

Avenger September 13, 2012 at 06:45

@70-I said that a judge doesn’t have immunity in Fed Court when there is a complaint filed alleging violation of civil rights. When the judge filed his Answer (so that he wouldn’t lose by default) he also filed a motion to dismiss which the Fed Judge denied so the case goes forward. But regardless of the outcome of this case the judge is going to have to recuse himself from your case in the county and counties don’t like spending money defending lawsuits.
Personally I would have finished him and his career off in the county depending on whether the judges are appointed or elected there. If appointed I’d speak to the governor or official who appointed him and file a complaint (it’s usually with the advissory committee of the sstate supreme court for judicial misconduct, and also with State licensing.
If he was elected I also do the same thing with the complaints and also get my name on the ballot running for the same position. Now, I can do almost anything I want without getting sued for defamation :) The guy’s a drunk, molester and takes psychiatric drugs :) He’ll have to defend himself and deny it but when people deny things for some reason people think that’s what you’re guilty of lol Hey, I may even accidently win the election even though I don’t want the job :)
The only thing I would have done differently with the initial Fed complaint is included a lot more defendants along with the judge just to make the county spend money defending. The Fed court judge would require them all to have separate lawyers and since all they want to do is get the complaint dismissed against their client I would make a deal that I’d dismiss if they cooperated with me and gave me any info I could use against the judge who is really the only one i want to go after anyway.

“Ray had 14 witnesses to testify his superior parenting. Mom had her mother and sisters. Judge Idiot told Ray’s attorney he would sit through 14 character witnesses if he had to, but Ray would be very sorry”

Well first of all Judge Idiot would no longer be on the bench after I got through with him. But since you knew he was going to rule against you I would have called all 14 because I would have filed a notice of appeal after I got the ruling and tied him up in the appellate division for a few months. Those 14 witnesses are going to be on the trial transcript and that would be included along with the brief as an exhibit. You lose there then file an appeal to the State Supreme Court and tie them up for another 6 moths and cost them money :) Judge Idiot is not going to be too popular after this and he’ll be “asked” to resign. So, what does all of this acccomplish? Well, the other judges of course know of the lawsuits and are going to be very careful about rulings for fear that another person will do the same to them.

Men are also going to have to learn to plan better to protect themselves and hide assets. Keep deeds and titles in your own name. Make sure that there is no equity in a property so if you have to divide it she gets nothing.

Alex April 16, 2013 at 15:11

Get an immigrant to come to the US on a work visa. Maybe get a blonde woman from Argentina (plenty of germanics down there), bring her over to be your maid. Get her pregnant, have the kid here in America so that it becomes a US citizen. Never marry the mother and she has to wait 21 years before she can file for citizenship as the unwed mother of an American.

If you are worried that she might take off with the kid back to Argentina, fire her as your maid, kick her out of the house, and report her for violating her visa. Off she goes, and you get to actually be a father to your own children.

It’s drastic, but it is the only way a man can stand a good chance of getting custody (unless the mother is a crack addicted prostitute or something). I like to call this horrid form of oppression ‘male privilege’. Nothing says human rights like having to plot and scheme just to be able to have access to your kids.

Better use this avenue while it is open to you. I am sure the law will eventually be changed to punish men who do this.