Augusta Admits Two Women

by W.F. Price on August 20, 2012

Augusta National, until this week a private men’s club, is now a mixed-sex club featuring two women, Darla Moore and Condoleezza Rice. Is this a tragedy, a triumph, or something else entirely?

Atlanta sports columnist Mark Bradley thinks it’s great, and writes that the organization has changed the world for the better:

Some may see this as the fall of one of the last bastions of male-dom, but here’s what we say to such folks: Come out of that cave, men. Nothing is the way it used to be, and a lot of what used to be wasn’t right and/or proper to begin with. Credit Payne for realizing that there’s a world outside the gates of a golf course. Credit him for being the man who finally made happen what needed to happen.

So long as Augusta National was men-only, the question would have been asked: “Why is it men-only?” There was no good answer to that, and there could never have been a good answer. The only right response was to render the question moot. Billy Payne has, and Augusta National is better for it. And so, in a small but significant way, are we.

Oh come on. What “significant” difference does it make to the vast majority of Americans that one of the most exclusive clubs in the country added a couple more elites?

Because the club has become a fixture of the political and business elite of the US, this move was probably inevitable. Elitist societies tend to lack what the French revolutionaries called “fraternité” (a sense of brotherhood), and the divide between elites and the rest of the country in the US has grown considerably over the last half century or so.

One of the historical realities that is often conveniently ignored by “pro-equality” feminists is that societies that feature many powerful women – and there have been a lot of them – are typically highly stratified. Social hierarchy and female power go hand in hand. It’s quite natural if you think about it: who’s usually more concerned about social status, men or women?

Augusta is simply adapting to the new normal, but it might as well have been part of it for years, so perhaps Mr. Bradley is correct in writing that there’s no good reason for the club to be men only anymore. However, to suggest this is progress is absurd.

Uncle Elmer August 20, 2012 at 14:40

My dad invited me out to the driving range to “hit a few balls”.

At the time I was fairly buff from my freight-loading job.

He handed me a club and of course I gouged the dirt. This time however, the club shattered into several pieces! The entire line stopped as I sheepishly walked out and picked up the pieces.

I said to the old man “let me try another club”.

He said grimly “let’s just go home”. And we rode back silently together.

Later I found out the bastard had found the club in pieces on the golf course and tried to epoxy them back together, as if it would withstand any kind of swing.

I still have his old canvas bag of clubs. The one he would pay me $3 to lug around 18 holes in the suffocating mid-western heat on a perfectly good Saturday.

When I show up at a driving range with that old bag the other guys give me hostile looks, as if their high-tech gear is really the mark of the amateur.

I finally mastered the golf swing because I had bought a property that required constant hacking of weeds. Really developed a monster swing. I can only hit with a #6 iron though, as it is identical to the weed whacker.

Some years ago my son Shemp went to visit the old man. They went out to the range together, and my dad exhibited some of that trademark Elmerson craziness. But Shemp told him that I had said he had been a great dad, and I really admired him a lot.

That seemed to boost his spirits. Oddly enough he sent me a letter bemoaning all the mistakes he had made in his life. This is a guy who grew up dirt poor, fought in a war, raised 5 kids, as well as achieving numerous professional accomplishments. Dude wore socks that were 30 years old. I wouldn’t make a pimple on his ass.

MRA August 20, 2012 at 14:42

God forbid if there is a demand to put men in the thousands women-only clubs and business.

In a related note

Just wait for some lawsuit from these women about sexual harassment and rape.

Towgunner August 20, 2012 at 14:54

This just sucks. This so called “women’s’ world” just sucks. Never mind that we’re declining as a civilization, bankrupt, facing an economic collapse…in general the day-to-day life in the women’s world sucks. Sometimes I need a break from the other sex, matter of fact, when sex relations were normal that’s why they made golf clubs. This should apply even more so today since women have developed their very repulsive attitudes and personalities. But no. I do not like spending my very rare free time with anyone that I don’t like, particularly with a group of people that have openly and unapologetically declared me and all other men to be inferior. But this is collectivism, what’s next the government picks your friends?

Visionary August 20, 2012 at 15:13

Since there shouldn’t be gender-groups in golf, when do we think struggling males on the PGA tour will be allowed into the female-only space of the LPGA? You know, in the name of fairness and principled beliefs about golf being gender neutral and everything.

Oh wait. That gender discrimination/”girls-only” golf club is totally cool.

Jim O'Connor August 20, 2012 at 15:23

What they call “progress” I call destruction. The reason I am bothered and disappointed with Augusta National for admitting women is because it symbolizes what is happening all around us. Men claim something as their own, women get angry they aren’t the center of attention, women somehow invade the male space, the men who are passionate about the space leave, and the former male space becomes feminized beyond recognition.

For those of you new to “The Spearhead” I highly recommend you read an article on here written by Jack Donovan regarding what happened when his strongman class was invaded by the Pussy Power Posse. I am sure almost every man who reads the article will remember at least one time in their lives when something similar happened to them.

Jim O'Connor August 20, 2012 at 15:34

The Jack Donovan article is titled “The Soft Shutdown.”

TLM August 20, 2012 at 15:53

Anyone that golfs regularly knows that women are nothing but a pain in the ass on the golf course. It doesn’t matter if it’s a private CC or a municipal course. They’re slow, weak, slow, ugly, slow, fat, slow, and slow. Playing behind a group of them is pure torture as golf etiquette is a foreign concept to them. I’m disgusted that Augusta National caved on this. That Hootie guy had some balls to stand up to that Burke clam a few years ago. It was a beautiful thing. What the hell happened?

bruno August 20, 2012 at 16:08

Women want to be admitted in Augusta?
Fine.
Let’s merge then also from now on all male and female sports clubs and sports competitions.
No apartheid!
They can do everything better than us, right?
Let’s see how many medals they will be winning.

Paradoxotaur August 20, 2012 at 16:28

@Jim O’C: “Men claim something as their own, women get angry they aren’t the center of attention, women somehow invade the male space, the men who are passionate about the space leave, and the former male space becomes feminized beyond recognition.” “I am sure almost every man who reads the article will remember at least one time in their lives when something similar happened to them.”

At least one time? Try dozens of times. In about 2/3 of those instances the institution just dissolved away after a few years.

DirkJohanson August 20, 2012 at 16:52

One of us ought to try to join Curves gym and file a lawsuit ASAP. In combination with the Augusta decision, it would be perfectly symbolic. Two rich women join a high-end club, and tens of thousands of regular women have to be around dudes while their obese pussies and butt cracks are sweating from exercise.

Rich August 20, 2012 at 16:58

After the Augusta news broke today I heard a radio host say “I can’t remember the last time I had fun with just guys. We (men) just need some girls around.” He then went on to rave about how women are more successful in school, have better test scores than men, etc. etc. I felt bad for him because to be honest, as a young man, sometimes I do enjoy being around just my guy friends and if that makes me weird then so be it.

Rocco August 20, 2012 at 17:18

And yet, with an open posting policy The Spearhead remains with only the rare female poster. I guess they only want admittance to what they are kept from, that is the prize.

Attila August 20, 2012 at 17:26

It’s obviously a deeply-rooted defensive strategy aimed at breaking up male bonding and to create friction in the group. Just watch what happens when a single woman enters a male-only space and the men aren’t clever enough to see the dynamics. This could never happen in your typical Turkish coffeehouse — it’s a no-go zone for women and the everyone accepts it.

Keyster August 20, 2012 at 17:44

Condi is an affirmative action two-fer!
There is no ladies locker room so they’ll need to remodel the locker room to give the ladies a small area. What people don’t know is that golf is rarely played at Augusta. It’s only open for member play a few months a year.

There are maybe 300 VERY elite members of Augusta. It’s the upper crust of the upper crust. They wouldn’t even give Donald Trump a membership. It’s not even close to being a “normal” men’s club. Their point all along is that they wouldn’t be forced “at the point of a bayonet” to admit women, just because some feminist was making a fuss. They didn’t appreciate the negative publicity.

will August 20, 2012 at 18:13

You can’t have a all-male space without making the environment hostile to women.

Rebel August 20, 2012 at 18:25

It’s time to put an end to the double standard. Equality demands it.
This has to be put on top of the priority list.

Anonymous Reader August 20, 2012 at 18:38

Does this mean that Augusta now will have two tee boxes?
Or do the ladies have to drive off of the regular tee box?

+1 on the horrid sexual discrimination of not allowing men into the LPGA.

Slightly OT: I see an Eastern European woman shot put champion had to give up her gold medal she won in London. Something about odd hormone levels in her blood test. Byelorus, if I remember right.

Wonder how many of the record breaking performances by women in the Olympics since, oh, 1992 have been due to better living through chemistry? I’m thinking, meh, most of them.

Binxton August 20, 2012 at 18:45

Because the decision to admit females wasn’t voluntary. It was a shakedown, and underscores yet again the emasculated condition of the American man today.

As long as American men support the ideology of equality, they have no business complaining about women intruding in their spaces.

So yes, there was no good answer to the question “Why men-only?” — because men had long ago forfeited their right to assert a uniquely male identity.

The Whammer August 20, 2012 at 18:54

This is a private club so I don’t see why an outsider should be concerned with what they do. Agusta didn’t admit any females or blacks as members. But it is a club on the PGA tour so I guess that this is just some public relations move and killing two birds with one stone by admitting Rice.
Country clubs were never exclusively male anyway or did females feel any need to join. They also always had functions where women were included whether it was some dance or dinner. In the past very few women played golf or were interested in being in an environment where it was mostly men.All of this ccontroversy is being caused by a bunch of ball busting feminist dykes who just don’t like the idea of a male club and not because they really want to join (and pay the high membership dues)
Clubs like the Yale, Harvard etc were all male but this was before the schools were co-ed and the only alumni were men. Even back then they did allow female guests in a common room and of ccourse at a male/female function. Remember that this was when even at cco-ed Unis men and females had separate dorms and any visitor of the opposite sex was only allowed in the common room for visitors. Most of this was just custom because men were more comfortable living with men and females were more comfortable around other females. And I bet it’s still true. They don’t want females lurking around when their shaving or taking a shower and in fact most men don’t even like men around in the shower lol
You can form an all male club if you choose but I doubt than any man even wants to join a female club or does he want to join to make somesort of stupid point like these mutant feminists. Females especially in the US are just natural ball busters who can’t stand to see a man content which is why they force themselves into men’s spaces.They have no real interest in joining a club for some real reason but just want to do it beccause they’re not allowed to and like children want the one thing they’re not allowed to do. In their jealousy they probably believe that men have something in their cclub that’s better than what they have. They also likely want to be around men to gather information and to stifle men from talking about them.

James August 20, 2012 at 19:06

Men, we cant fucking get away for shit…no “man” time. Women are flowing into every crevasse , regardless of where/what it is.

David D. Davidson August 20, 2012 at 19:15

Why don’t we just start invading women-only spaces. Especially ones where women are young and attractive. After-all there’s “No reason” one sex should exclude the other. And (if /when we realize) we don’t like the place, we can just complain like the women do. “These women-only gyms are not very male-friendly; we need to add dip bars and get rid of the mean ladies who look at us like we’re creeps.”

Anti Idiocy August 20, 2012 at 19:37

Men have the right to times and places when and where they can get the fuck away from women.

ActaNonVerba August 20, 2012 at 19:48

I was disgusted when I heard about Augusta. There are women-only organizations (or departments within larger organizations) among doctors, lawyers, political parties, the United Nations, the cabinet level of the presidency, among economists, and on and on and on. Politicians hold women-only meetings and fund-raisers. There are women-only at exercise, social, and recreational establishments.

Like I always say, until we take away women’s total dominance in children’s early years (Mom, daycare, early childhood education), the brainwashing won’t stop. Young girls and boys MUST be around men and not only around these moronic, venal, manipulative wretches.

HeartlessBastard August 20, 2012 at 19:57

Golf really stands for Gentlemen,Only,Ladies,Forbidden so the mere fact that there is ladies golf is really funny

Jimbo August 20, 2012 at 20:41

Mark Bradley is just one more man that is ignorant of human nature and the correlation of how ignoring human nature regarding the sexes is literally destroying an entire civilization. When I look a the generally dysgenic breeding practices of our population and then contemplate how this is compounded by the general degeneration of our population spawned largely by feminist influence, I can see why we had a “dark ages”. The truth is not being heard. Is it any wonder we’re becoming a nation of idiots?

Venom Froggy August 20, 2012 at 22:12

This really sucks. It really does. But ultimately, this will be the acid test that seperates the men from the boys. Both men and boys will form clubs and/or gatherings for men.

The little boys will capitulate when women start bitching about exclusion, allowing the ladies to start bossing them around like the kitchen bitches they are.

The club will exist via word-of-mouth, that way, no evidence can possibly exist if some spiteful bitch decides to sue for being sexist. If the club only exists verbally, the sue happy harpy will legally have nothing to prove its existence.

“What, your honor, we’re just some guys hanging out and, unfortunately, we decided we had other things to do and we had a falling out and that’s why we no longer hang out together. That’s life ^_^”

See?

Anonymous August 20, 2012 at 22:57

Sounds good to me. As a supporter of ending private men-only memberships, I’m sure he is also a supporter of ending legally mandated women-only benefits. I guess we’re all equal and interchangeable now or something.

Buddy Guy August 20, 2012 at 23:36

Are the upvotes going to come back? I feel like they encourage compelling comments.

Brian August 21, 2012 at 00:10

@David D. Davidson

You can try to mirror what women do, but aren’t you worried about all the legal risks? The fact that you’re a male “obviously” makes you the bad guy anytime something goes wrong. Even a baseless complaint can cause you misery because in disputes between men and women, people strangely tend to put the burden of proof on the man to prove that he didn’t do what the woman accuses him of doing. Retarded, right?

If you ever try what you’re saying, I hope you don’t do it alone and go equipped with cameras. If there’s even one feminist freak, I’m sure you’ll have much to share with the manosphere.

andybob August 21, 2012 at 00:48

Mark Bradley suggests that any ‘cave-dweller’ who yearns for at least one nag/hassle/drama-free zone must nurse a hankering for other Bad Things From the Past (slavery, child-labour, witch-hunting, etc).

In his effort to pile shame upon shame, Mr Bradley makes many assumptions. Foremost is the idea that the Augusta National is answerable to feminists for all of its decision-making. ‘Why is it men only?’ The schoolma’mish tone of this question is deeply revealing. So is the urge to answer it.

Feminists will cheer this decision and white knights will write sycophantic tripe about how much better we all are that two rich women can ruin the peace of mind 300 rich men.

Me? I just feel that the world just got a little smaller – and more shrill.

Ragnar August 21, 2012 at 00:53

Agree with Buddy Guy.
Let’s be able to vote again. This doesn’t make me feel like commenting at all – except for this.

piercedhead August 21, 2012 at 01:20

Why should we care? Are any of us members of Augusta? For that matter, have any of us ever been members of an all-male club that decided to admit women?

I haven’t, but if I ever had I would just have left.

There is no quicker way to neutralise this kind of creep than for men who want to avoid women to simply head off on their own whenever women force their way in. You also get to avoid the tiresome white knights.

So if it doesn’t affect me personally, I can’t see why I should care what other people decide to do. I certainly don’t buy this ‘great day for women’ nonsense, but by now, I recognize that as what it takes to sell newspapers, and gives hopeful politicians something to talk about.

TiredGuy August 21, 2012 at 01:40

This reminds me of the Tattersalls Club in Australia, which stood up to the feminists and even won their court case. They are a gentleman’s club (as in business and horse racing, not strip), so the feminists were extremely peeved at the fact that a lot of business seems to be done within its halls. I believe they won on the grounds of the ‘female only gyms’ argument.

So it is possible to fight back and simply tell the feminists to take a hike.

@ Buddy Guy, as I understand it, Mr. Price is trying to find the perfect balance to the site – hence the changes and tweaks.

JFP August 21, 2012 at 02:53

Rich:
“I felt bad for him because to be honest, as a young man, sometimes I do enjoy being around just my guy friends and if that makes me weird then so be it.”

No, you see that makes you gay. Going on man-dates is just so cute! But like gay, or something. Totally, like ohmygosh!

/sarcasm

W.F. Price August 21, 2012 at 03:42

Agree with Buddy Guy.

-Ragnar

It’s coming. I’ve got the software installed, but I’m still configuring it. It’s actually a pretty meticulous job working out this membership thing, kind of like building an engine from parts. Screw up one part and the whole thing locks up and breaks.

Ragnar August 21, 2012 at 04:11

Thanks W.F.Price, you are doing a great job.
This site ought to give you a lot of satisfaction.
You deserve it. ;)

walking in hell2 August 21, 2012 at 04:56

Off topic, but an example of how a woman can come back 18 years later and destroy your life. This poor guy was on the hook for $250,000. Also shows the incentives for states to collect child support:

bruno August 21, 2012 at 05:03

Now the last “male-only” spaces are workplaces where real hard and dirty work is being done.

Strange… why women are not trying to get in there?

Ralph Gorman August 21, 2012 at 05:22

What an interesting contrast to that Saudi “women only” city.

Kyo August 21, 2012 at 05:33

“The MEN, on the other hand, will merely disband the club when the women get to rowdy and start again. Offline and underground. In secret, preferably. “

True, but the feminists have still taken away the history and tradition of these venerable old institutions. “Since 1820″ (or whatever) carries a weight and gravitas that “since 2012″ (or the complete lack of a founding date, because the club doesn’t officialy exist) totally lacks.

Ray Manta August 21, 2012 at 06:40

bruno wrote:

Strange… why women are not trying to get in there?

You have to admit that falling off a crab-fishing boat isn’t very glamorous.

Troll King August 21, 2012 at 07:26

When are women going to be “allowed” into the NFL?

I don’t watch football but I would start if I got to see a fat dyke turned into roadkill on a game by game basis. Sorta like watching Nascar for the crashes.

Oh wait, that might mess up their ideas of being eequal to men.

Towgunner August 21, 2012 at 09:04

@ Ray Manta

“You have to admit that falling off a crab-fishing boat isn’t very glamorous.”

Precisely, this doesn’t fit with their whole annoying meme of doing ” blank ” and looking “fabulous”.

Little John August 21, 2012 at 09:07

Why do men need all-male spaces? Simply because we need male bonding and camaraderie to be men. Say what you like about cavemen; at least they were men–unlike mangina media punks.

Towgunner August 21, 2012 at 09:58

Good to see a lot of comments here talking about reversing this issue back on women and forcing them to include men into women’s spaces. Another related topic that the MRM should be openly advocating, which I feel is along the same lines, is male only schools. By bringing this topic to the public forum, we can get some quick wins and leverage to introduce a simple argument – women only spaces..okay then men only too. As a quick aside and noted by many here when women forcibly enter an institution they destroy it. This is most evident in the education system. Per his annoying remark that ‘women are getting higher test scores etc’…these statements really get to me. The ignorance is so thick it’s unbearable. With all his “critical thinking” and journalistic skills that he obvious got from one of the many privileged and prestigious schools he attended, he never once realized that female “outperformance” has occurred over a very short period of time. From an un-bias point of view I have trouble understanding how this cretin and the rest of the culture can’t seem to understand that stats like this are an obvious anomaly. And the source of the anomaly isn’t too hard to understand…not when “they” are calling for “proportionality” in STEM. Or to put it more bluntly regardless of talent or desire “they” are just going to admit more women into STEM? How’s that an indication of “outperformance”? Moreover, referencing everything from our educational standards vs. the rest of the world, the Wellesley MA class of 2012 graduation speech (You’re not special, particularly how an “AP” course used to the upper standard class) and simply observing the kind of person being produced by our education system it’s quite clear that this is a deteriorating and subpar system. Knowing that, the true statement should be, while the US education system continues to languish and decline under these conditions women are doing better. Of course, I leave out as did this journalist, the very important point that females are getting grossly favored by our education system and for that matter by every institution in our sick culture. This simply amounts to the greatest organized act of outright discrimination in the history of the US. So, this ‘women invade male only space’ meme is ripe for the MRM to finally take the fight to women. Knowing our enemy, by insisting that men be included in places like Curves etc, women will resist. Perfect, because it’s a statement of principle and I’d rather eat glass then go to curves, we don’t want to win this because not winning means that women openly admit that they want their own space. From that we can propose a compromise and say…keep curves etc but that must mean male-only spaces are permissible – tit for tat, but such is the case when dealing with immature and intellectual lightweights. Then it opens up the narrative for male-only schools and we can use all these horrible stats of boys falling behind just like feminists did in the early 1990s with their ridiculous claims of the girls’ crisis to highlight the idea of a hyper-urgent boys’ crisis. The end-state is to get back to male only spaces (schools, clubs, etc) then boys will be removed from the hostile, emasculating environment of schools today and we get to realize the worst nightmare for all feminists, which is “boys being boys”. In the past it was hard to say that women were being deliberately held back, the system just didn’t play any favorites, i.e. math class was math class trophies were given to just the winner, and, as such, men naturally outperformed…Guys remember that in the not so distant past men overwhelming outnumbered women in college, test scores, etc…it was very uncommon to see a female valedictorian etc. Today it’s the norm. The truth seems to be that when the ‘playing field’ was level, women couldn’t compete. So, they made claims of systemic discrimination and patriarchical conspiracy…blah blah blah. Again, teachers were just seeing if people knew their ABC’s 123’s…and since I was alive then…there was no dark room cabal of teachers colluding to keep females down. What is sick is that once women were given the reigns of our society (again not by proving or earning it) they immediately took their mythical system reversed it so that everything they said was happening to women is now actually happening to men. So, whereas, it was just how the chips fell back in those evil ole 1950s, how is today’s system that deliberately keeps boys and men down any better?

Geography Bee Finalist himself August 21, 2012 at 12:14

Although I do not play golf, I am curious about two things.

I’m wondering how many more women will follow Condoleezza Rice and Darla Moore into Augusta National, if any.

I am also wondering whether the now mixed-sex club will have easier entrance requirements for males or for females or requirements of equal difficulty for both biological sexes or how that will play out, assuming that additional women can get in.

I am under no illusion that anything lacking a Y chromosome but having a pulse will be allowed in a desperate attempt to achieve a 50/50 balance or whatever percentage of golfers are male and the balance female.

Anon August 21, 2012 at 13:26

Say goodbye to freedom of association. Another Constitutional right flushed down the toilet.

Attila August 21, 2012 at 16:21

I remember spending some time in the Turkish coffee/teahouses in Berlin a few years ago – and it was pretty pleasant. Just a bunch of guys playing backgammon, smoking, drinking tea and chatting. Very low-key and free from the usual gyno-generated drama/pyrotechnics. Similar experience in the Portuguese coffeehouses on Duluth Street in Montréal. I speak passable Turkish and a lot of Portuguese – but it would have been fun for anyone with an adventurous spirits. No fights (at least not on those nights).

Anonxcf August 21, 2012 at 21:23

I tried to find “men’s spaces”.

1> Wikipedia has an article on it.
Note the caveat- men’s spaces are “in some non-westernized societies”. This ignores the few actual men’s spaces remaining (largely golf clubs), and the fact that bars and barber’s shops are historically men’s areas- used to be by policy.

2> There are very few. Like, super uncommon. Is there even a list? If so, please post it!

3> Google is FULL of people absolutely SHITTING ON the few places that exist. Even minor ones, not things like Augusta whatever. Everyone discussing these things is absolutely SUPER ANGRY about them. There’s only a couple, and these people are SO SUPER THREATENED BY THEM. It’s absolutely unreal.

Gotta be honest, it seems so forbidden, and the fact that there’s no place to go and hang out like that now seems… lacking? You’d think this wouldn’t be a big deal, and every city would have like a private club or something like that. But instead very few do, and the ones that do are under attack by gender warriors, both IRL and internet.

Crazy.

bruno August 22, 2012 at 03:04

People are angry about male-only places like:
- coal mines ?
- heavy steel industry?
- the prison population?
- WW1 and WW2 graveyards?

zimmy August 22, 2012 at 04:09

Nicely done bruno.

It’s a reminder that even the ‘death professions’ are pretty much male-only as well.

AntiFeminist August 22, 2012 at 12:48

Check this and read the comments:

Ray Manta August 22, 2012 at 14:45

antifeminist wrote:
Check this and read the comments:

I’m glad to see that at least some of the commenters have an awareness of what’s going on. Men establish a sport, then women demand to come in and get equal billing.

LBK August 25, 2012 at 02:11

The solution is for men to completely withdraw from society and let it collapse. Do not provide for women. Do not protect them. Western culture is beyond saving. It is time to let it die.