Britain’s National Health Service Erases Fathers

by Featured Guest on July 31, 2012

Spearhead News

A single paragraph from The American Conservative sums up the state of fatherhood in Britain today.

Money quote:

At the end of May, the National Health Service, the largest employer in Britain—and the fifth largest in the world—took the decision to excise the six-letter f-word from a pamphlet on rearing children that it has been giving to mothers- and fathers-to-be for the past 14 years. The pamphlet will no longer refer to fathers following a complaint from one person—yes, that is all it takes to airbrush people from history in modern Britain—who was concerned that such terminology is “not inclusive of people in same-sex relationships.” From now on the pamphlet will refer to mothers and “partners.” Dads are so 20th century.

The NHS could have easily, in the name of being inclusive, gotten rid of “mother” too and just used the term “parents” or “primary care giver” instead. But it chose not to. Because in the minds of government bureaucrats, fathers are of secondary, if not inconsequential importance to the lives of their children.

A July 31, 2012 at 08:35

The fifth largest in the world? God help us all, because everything will come crashing down soon.

Keyster July 31, 2012 at 09:03

That whole send up of the glorious NHS during the opening ceremony of the Olympics, I found to be down right creepy. What drug were the frolicking nurses supposed to be on? And the illuminated beds and the children jumping up and down on them, and then what was supposed to be their nightmares if there wasn’t an NHS. It was weird.

The NHS is what our Democrat Party strives for here, but first they must facilitate the collapse of the private system. Step #1 is almost complete.

Rebel July 31, 2012 at 09:05

It looks like the U.K. is leading the pack. They are showing the way.

The readers of the Spearhead are among the lucky few who see things as they are happening and can prepare accordingly.

I just hope that we won’t suffer from a shortage of red pills…

This time, they are not even trying to hide the agenda.

Opus July 31, 2012 at 09:12

Perhaps, if you were watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics, you may have formed the view that the NHS was a much loved and cherished institution, the glory of the nation and the envy of the world. I would urge you not to do so, or indeed to take seriously any of the other nonsense that was being spoon-fed as history in that ceremony (dreamt up a by a Marxist Irish Catholic) which has rightly been described by one Tory M.P. (who is now obviously on his way to some British Gulag) as Lefti-Multi-Culti Crap.

Let me tell you about the HORROR which is the NHS.

I speak with authority too as I have experienced the care of hospitals on both sides of the Atlantic and [I promise you Welmer is not paying me to say this] the American Hospital and its care is infinitely preferable to anything I have ever experienced witnessed or heard of at the NHS.

Never, should you come to Britain, fall ill, because, without exhausting its awfulnesses, this is what its like:

1. I know of three males who have whilst in-patients, voluntarily and against Doctors advice let themselves out of hospital in fear for their lives.

2. Many of the staff are not comprehensible in or understanding of English.

3. The standard of cleanliness is at times such that I can only compare it with a lavatory.

4. Chaos and inhumanity reign.

Abolishing fathers is the least of it.

Christina July 31, 2012 at 09:38

Another BNW moment brought to you by the people that inspired the novel in the first place.

SixStringsForever July 31, 2012 at 10:09

Just over 75% of NHS staff are female so a feminised agenda is of no real surprise to anyone.
Generally speaking,men’s health issues are entirely inconsequential to the NHS ethos,but not so female ones which are generously funded and given “top priority”-if such a thing exists in the culture of the UK health service.
Waiting lists can be long and numerous patients do lie on hospital trolleys for up to 24 hours because there are frequent bed shortages.
The producer of that olympic ceremony,one Danny Boyle,certainly has a left-wing agenda to peddle and no doubt an advocate of the “rights” of oppressed females all across the globe.

Zorro July 31, 2012 at 10:10

Western civilization is fucked.

It. Is. Over.

And, yes, Islam will dominate the planet.

Fucking feminists. You ruined everything.

Rusty Shackelford July 31, 2012 at 10:21

It’s happening here as well. Earlier this summer my wife and I went on a hospital tour (essentially a tour, for expecting parents, of the maternity ward in the hospital at which you plan to deliver) and the nurse in charge of the tour refused and discouraged the use of the word “father”. She corrected me and said that in the context of the birth process, the proper word is “coach” since we would not want to offend any lesbian couples or single moms-to-be whose babydaddy’s are too busy to attend the birth.

zed July 31, 2012 at 10:40

I just hope that we won’t suffer from a shortage of red pills…

Not to worry – even if there is a shortage, or we cannot get guys to swallow the red pill voluntarily, the PTB will eventually deliver the message to every man in suppository form. ;)

livingwell July 31, 2012 at 11:09

Have some fun. The whole thing will not last and the likes of Billy Boy Bennett reaching for the guilt stick only reinforces the fact that they know this to be true. When the hospital refuses to call you the father, stop the show with complaints. Ruin the performance by not allowing the nurse to continue and above all else have a ball doing it. Complain to the heads of these places. I have had great success fouling up the works with long phone calls, certified letters, face to face meetings and loud fake indignation that messes up the work days of these f..ups.. And I treat it like a hobby. Make their fucking lives hell without breaking any laws. And don’t lose a minute of sleep. “Monkey Wrench” the whole thing. Men have not a thing to loose anymore by fouling the props of this fallen culture. Have fun gentlemen and party like it’s 1999.

Charles Martel July 31, 2012 at 11:13

zed

Bowling ball size.

livingwell July 31, 2012 at 11:21

I like to see ratings. Good indication of the mood of the troops. Thanks sir.

keyster July 31, 2012 at 11:28

Thanks Opus.
Even our left of center NBC hosts, Matt Lauer and Merideth Vieira, seemed confused and were subtly mocking parts of the show as bizarre displays of the heights of British history. From the peaceful and carefree times of the agrarian society – – to the evil, capitalist industrial revolution, overlorded by the privilaged aristocracy giving their approval. Sulphur smell was added to the smoke for authenticity of the “experience” of the time. And then the NHS beds roll out…after a couple hundred Mary Poppins fall from the sky….WTF?

Opus July 31, 2012 at 11:29

I see that I have made a mistake. I wrote that ‘I know of three males etc’. This may have given the impression that these were people that I had read about. That is not the case. I should have written, ‘I know three males etc’ which would more accurately have revealed that these are people I know. I trust that gives a more accurate idea of the state of the NHS.

Highwasp July 31, 2012 at 11:34

OT – what happened to the ‘reply’ buttons? I understand the Up/Down votes are gone (missing those) but don’t we get ‘reply’ buttons in their place?

Uncle Elmer July 31, 2012 at 11:44

As gay marriage becomes normative it will be amusing to see how anal care products are advertised on television.

I hope they don’t follow the standard “cool black guy/doofus white guy” shtick that has become so tiresome in every commercial from salted snacks to hotel accommodations.

Uncle Elmer July 31, 2012 at 12:22

For example, anal douche will likely become a big seller, and the British will produce some hysterical ads using their trademark dry humor and understatement.

Pirran July 31, 2012 at 12:26

Well, I’m stuck here (in the interim), so none of this surprises me. Of course, what the Guardianistas always ignore is that by demonizing, berating and marginalizing men, the NHS (and the whole lefty state) have brought down standards for everyone.

My father, my uncle, my brother and my sister-in-law all worked as doctors for this God-forsaken institution. I worked at one step removed as a technical editor on a medical journal. My brother is the last one left and he prays for retirement every day (he still has quite a way to go). The stories of mis-management, bureaucratic cock-up and cynical disregard for the basic rights of man (or woman) that I’ve heard via the horse’s mouth would fill up several books (indeed many have been published on just that subject). We all hope against hope not to fall ill.

The NHS is the perfect exemplar of the feminized state in all it’s gory horror. The greatest irony is that as women try to destroy men in all aspects of society, they only succeed in destroying themselves; it’s the wimminz who rely on the NHS the most.

Take The Red Pill July 31, 2012 at 12:30

Like this is a surprise? Anyone who studies the history of Marxism/Socialism/Communism could see it coming eventually.
I find it ironic that Russia (which probably suffered the most from Marxist-inspired Communism) has renounced this system which promises so much and delivers so little, and the foolish Marxist Leftists in Western Europe and North America are going all-out to embrace it. Unfortunately, they’re dragging us (who have more sense) along with them into their Marxist-inspired PC/Socialist nightmare.

Atlas can’t shrug soon enough — or hard enough.

troll king July 31, 2012 at 12:41

OT.

Why Men Should Be Willing To Die For Women

His position sums up feminism in a nutshell, which maybe isn’t so offtopic, but I don’t have a proper background in history to show how incorrect he is, assuming he is incorrect whish is a bet I am willing to take because…well it is him.

I do know that we can look at DNA evidence and see that 80% of women reproduced through out history while only 40% of men did but that doesn’t tell us about death as much as it does about reproduction and it certainly doesn’t tell us the ‘why’.

Coastal July 31, 2012 at 12:47

Yep, the NHS is the true embodiment of feminist ideals. You have an upper class of alpha male surgeons and managers, while down below are a mass of status whoring wimminz, all loudly demanding we treat them as angels because they work in health care, even though it’s not immediately obvious what contribution the Deputy Assistant to the Vice Chair of the Co-ordination Committee actually makes to saving lives anyway.

Meanwhile, right at the bottom are the ‘betas’ – aka patients – virtually ignored while the wimminz spend their days on supa-special projects, reports and audits. Meanwhile, the hospitals get dirtier and dirtier becuase such trivia as basic maintenance isn’t exciting enough for the wimminz.

Most of all though, it has the distinguishing characteristic of all feminist utopias – it can only exist as long as everyone else is bled dry to support it.

zed July 31, 2012 at 13:00

Why Men Should Be Willing To Die For Women

Well, maybe we “should” be willing to die for women, but, I’m not.

Now, go fuck yourself, Hugo.

Rusty July 31, 2012 at 13:01

Socialism is anti-male. It is political expression of the matriarchial, degenerate society. It exists to serve itself, and is fed by the emotion-driven ignorance and fear of women. Kill it.

Rebel July 31, 2012 at 13:07

Last January, while hospitalized, a doctor asked me if I would volunteer in assisting young students of medicine by acting as a “guinea pig”. Being the nice guy that I am, I accepted gladly.
Twenty some odd sudents came to my room and began their “practice”.

The remarkable thing I saw was that there were only two Asian guys in the group.

I asked their teacher what was the m/f ratio among medicine student. He said:”the ratio is about 90% female and I think we are going to see catastrophic results as most of them will leave the profession to become SAHM”

The medical profession is being deserted by men in this part of the world (Quebec) and I was wondering if the same situation exists elsewhere.

joeb July 31, 2012 at 13:20

Everybody wonders why the Irish are so upset , Its obvious , Have you ever read a brave new world . Huxley was right The English are out of there Minds .
Coming soon to a state near you if we don’t do something about it ! well im pretty sure its already in NY , Ohio , And Michigan .

joeb July 31, 2012 at 13:23

Buy the way, English youths running throw the streets smashing things is no coincidence . Just think what a great story it would be if we armed them .

Opus July 31, 2012 at 14:05

Keyster has given me the chance (so I’ll take it) to say exactly what I thought was wrong with the opening ceremony of the Olympics:

It is the London Olympics (the third as it happens) but it is not the Fantasy Olympics, or the Yorkshire Olympics or the Socialist Olympics but you might have thought from the programme that London was a little short on history and thus borrowed from elsewhere to fill the gap. May I (to give quick historical recap) remind all that London has been inhabited for Millenia, it became a joint capital for the Romans. After being abandoned (post 409AD) the Saxons reinhabited it (Charing X area) and it has been permanently inhabited since. It being the capital, hosts parliament (the mother of parliaments as we boast) the law courts, seven or so professional soccer teams, some forty mainstream theatres, five professional orchestras, and two Opera Houses etc and was home to such as Chaucer, Shakespeare, Faraday, Purcell, Handel, Hendrix (they lived next to each other) Dickens, Darwin and Freud, not of course to forget good old Karl Marx (who is buried in Highgate cemetery) – need I go on; so you might have thought that would have been good material for a tableau or pageant or as they used to call it a Masque and we have quite a few composers who I am sure would have been only too happy to provide some good and new music, yet what did we actually get:

Stale pop -songs from the 60s and 70s, The NHS (as if medicine began in 1948) and talking of 1948 the Jamaicans arriving on the Windrush were not the first immigrants to London – what about the Hugeunots in the 16th century or the Jews in the 19th. You may recall the depression of the 30s and how difficult times were – yet London has had problems before; there were for example the Peasants Revolt of 1371 The Fifth Monarchy Men and their attack on the capital in 1661 and the Swing Riots of the 1830s, yet they give us Jarrow (which is the other side of the country). The idea is then foisted upon us in true pastoral style that agricultural life was idyllic (which it wasn’t), that industrial life was bad – as it may have been – but it was industrialisation which (generally) has given people their I-Phones, health care and better food and generally longer lifes, not to mention being the beginnings of the tourism industry. The average British family does not consist of a black man and a white woman with a half-caste child, nor were there black people here during the industrial revolution and Tim Berners Lee (WWW) may have been born in London but now lives in Massachusettes. Naturally women are presented as downtrodden (the suffragettes) which as we know here is nonsense. With so many real people to portray what we largely get are fictional characters (Bond, Potter and Poppins).

Before it began we were laughing at Mitt Romney’s gaffs (did you here about it?) and since then it has only got better, with the scandal of the empty seats (bad news for McDonalds and Coca – is there not something ironic that the official food is provided by people who will super-size you?) and today the recognition that a sixteen year old chinese swimmer can swim faster than the American male champion (whose name I forget) and who is built like a Leviathan. Truly feminism (and socialism) are wonderful.

TLM July 31, 2012 at 14:35

@Rebel

The same applies here in the States depending upon specialty. Ob/Gyn was once full of competent men. Now over 87% of all Ob/Gyn residents are female. This is not a good thing. While there are some talented chick surgeons, most suck and are no where near as talented as their older male counter-parts. As the hardworking older male Ob/Gyn who could handle a rash of complicated births and still have excellent operative skills on the gyn side become extinct, the rise of the female super group continues. It’s common for a practice to have 10 female Ob/Gyns with each one being highly specialized in only one particular area of patient care (little multi-tasking = less experienced when the SHTF). And they basically become part-time employees due to a lack of a diverse skill set or refusal to learn/practice beyond the business needs of the practice.

bruno July 31, 2012 at 14:56

Meanwhile, in Belgium…

Self-declared radical feminist ministers Annemie Turtelboom and Joelle Milquette are designing a new law explicitly criminalising “sexist” remarks made by men.

To support their cause, they use now an amateur movie that has been made about Muslim men giving remarks to a Belgian woman walking around in their neighbourhood, dressed in a short skirt.

But the real target for this new law is clear to see: to shut up everybody who writes or comments and is spreading the truth about women on the internet.

Darryl X July 31, 2012 at 15:23

recall an article in Time Magazine two or three years ago which ranked health care in the US 39th but still the most expensive in the world. We were and probably still are behind countries like Cuba and Costa Rica and thirty-seven others. And this after hearings in Congress during the early nineties about abuse by health insurers concerning illegal and unethical and immoral denial of coverage and many other serious prolems. and improvement of the system as a result of those hearings.

And then there’s the women. Recall the lies women tell about heart disease and the greater need for investment in medical research concerning women instead of men. Feminists claim that more women die of heart disease than men. It is true that more women die of heart disease than men after the age of sixty-five but that is only because most men who die of heart-disease die before the age of sixty five and because women live longer. These undisputable facts are not arguments for more money invested in more research for heart disease concerning women but men. Leave it to feminists to completely lack the analytical skills for understanding the truth and the facts about the consequences of it.

Many believe that health care in the US is already some socialist utopia where anyone can get care which is not true. I have spent more than half my adult life without access to and inability to afford health care in the US. When I was a young graduate student, my father criticized me for not having access to health care and not seeing a dentist and for being too cheap to pay to see a health care provider. Cost of insurance of seeing a provider are astronomical. I was poor when I was a graduate student. How would I pay for it? And students were and still are in the US exempt as far as I know from any public assistance.

My father like most people believe that I received free health care through university which is not true. Health insurance through university was as expensive as it is in the private sector – $10-12,000 per year. I took home $5,200 per year. People like my father (a feminist BTW) are pure idiots. During the past twenty-seven years, I have endured two cases of shingles, two cases of carbon monoxide poisoning and one case of kidney stones as well as many other potentially life-threatening and painful and deblitating medical developments all without any medical care or treatment.

Most of those pre-retirement who benefit from the socialized elements of our health care system (Medicaid, Social Security Disability, and related state-run programs) are women. Most of those women are simply gaming the system for free medical care and access to prescription drugs to satisfy an addiction or sell on the street. Just about any condition if you’re a woman can be considered a disability fromwhat I’ve seen. So much so that being a woman might just as well be one big disability. Just about every woman I know suffers from depression and needs anti-depressants. Dyslexia, Attention Deficit Disorder and on and on.

Whether pre- or post-retirement, all those receiving public assistance for health care do so at the expense of the poverty and exemption to access for health care of men like myself. The US health care system is a disaster but at least we have the distinction of being the most expensive health care system and disaster in the world. Wouldn’t want to be outdone by anybody else. All thanks to the chronic victimhood of women and feminism.

tom47 July 31, 2012 at 16:03

You mean I’m not the only one who thought I was watching the Lesbian Olympics!
I saw one team, I think it was the Korean ( not sure North or South ) Volley ball team, that everytime they scored o point they grabbed each others asses! Yesterday it was whales playing water volley ball. They could sure float.

Steven Andrews July 31, 2012 at 16:33

This disgusts me totally, my fiancé had a miscarriage and the leaflet given to me was titled ‘Partners and abortion’ clearly lesbians do not have the attachment to an unborn child that the biological father does, but like your article states; Dads are so 20th century…

Uncle Elmer July 31, 2012 at 16:43

“I was hoping that someone with a bit better background in history could elucidate a proper response to Ole’ Hugo and his recent article:

Why Men Should Be Willing To Die For Women

——————————-

His assertion that more women have died from childbirth than men have died in all wars combined and therefor should be willing to die for women? It’s a stupid comparison and boilerplate feminist claptrap.

Men improved medical technology that eradicated most childbirth-related health issues.

Not to mention finding vaccines and cures for nearly every communicable disease that actually did kill far more humans than warfare ever did. By his feminist calculus women should therefor be willing to die for men.

And I won’t even mention indoor plumbing or sanitary napkins.

zed July 31, 2012 at 17:14

Personally, I think the proper response is – “Who’s Hugo?”

As Uncle Elmer just said above, this is nothing but boilerplate feminist claptrap. Hugo (whoever he is) probably doesn’t believe any of this – he is saying just to get high-fives from women and to piss men off. I’ve watched women do this for years – run their mouth about things they don’t believe, but they know their inner attention-whore will get gratified because saying these things to men is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. They do it to provoke a reaction from men and for no other reason.

You can’t refute obvious BS that the speaker knows is BS, the best response is no response at all – just ignore the d-bag.

Bob July 31, 2012 at 17:39

“Because in the minds of government bureaucrats, fathers are of secondary, if not inconsequential importance to the lives of their children.”

This is so true… In this part of western world (Quebec), on the birth form (last time I saw one) the name of the father is under the label “Other parents”. This speak for it self…

The First Joe July 31, 2012 at 17:45

OK, erasing fathers, and asking men not to identify as husbands or fathers for fear of giving offence is fucking PC bullshit of the worst kind. It’s up there with Brit squaddies needing treatment for their wounds in NHS hospitals being asked to remove their uniforms to avoid giving offence.
Fuck that noise.
How about people shut the fuck up and mind their own fucking buisness instead of “taking offence” all the bloody time? Tossers.

zed July 31, 2012 at 18:06

OT – but this sort of stuff makes me absolutely crazy –

BRUSSELS (AP) — The ex-wife of a notorious pedophile who aided her husband’s horrific abuse and murder of young girls — and who let two children starve to death while her husband was in jail — was approved Tuesday for early release from prison, infuriating the victims’ parents and reopening a dark chapter in Belgian history.

Words fail me. The people who let this evil go on need to burn in hell.

buggeroff11 July 31, 2012 at 18:21

Livingwell…so,so true you are spot on, putting a spanner in the works is so easy when you learn the attitude of enjoying sticking it to them.

You become less emotional stay within laws yet cause havoc and somtimes get a win. It really works with just a bit of effort to stay calm yet express your “outrage” by turning feminist crap against those in charge…words like ‘feelings’ ‘rights’ ‘ I am being assertive not aggressive’ ‘equallity’ ‘responsibility’ ‘accountability’ ‘inappropiate’ and many more, the look on their faces is worth it.

This stuff would have a far greater success if more men understood where feminists are concerned you don’t need a short term ‘win’ to cause longer term havoc.

cecil henry July 31, 2012 at 18:43

Seriously, the NHS (ie a hospital) is the biggest employer in Britian??

THe NHS doesnt actually DO anything. They are supposed to exist to keep people healthy in ORDER to then do the productive things that make for wealth.

This is such a perversion of what prosperity is that only a government or a snake devouring its own tail could think this is something to admire.

Anon July 31, 2012 at 19:04

I know you want to maintain a high level in the comment section, but sometimes someone needs to say it.

Fuck you, NHS.

ActaNonVerba July 31, 2012 at 19:09

Just pure misandry.

ActaNonVerba July 31, 2012 at 19:17

I took an introductory philosophy class in college. As one can imagine, philosophers have some…..well, “different” ideas. One of the philosophers we studied questioned the whole nature of physical reality. In other words, is anything we perceive really there or is it all some kind of illusion (like simply chemical or electrical messages based on nothing or something totally different than we “perceive).

My guess is that there are actually more people that believe or partly believe or at least wonder about these types of philosophies than there are women giving birth without a man in their life via artificial insemination.

So, by the logic of the National Health Service, there should be no pamphlet at all. To say that a baby actually exists is an insult to some people’s philosophical beliefs. To say that the ink for the pamphlet or the pamphlet itself actually exists is similarly an insult.

Heck, I find this website offensive. You’re trying to convince me that corporeal things called “men” exist and that I am typing on an actual device called a keyboard. Oh the Humanity!! You oppressors!!!

Rebel July 31, 2012 at 19:22

“In this part of western world (Quebec), on the birth form (last time I saw one) the name of the father is under the label “Other parents”. This speak for it self…”

I am, was, totally unaware of that, even though I live in Quebec.
(and have been for the past 55 years).

OTOH, Quebec is the only province where shared custody is the default option upon a divorce. Other arrangements can be had, but a judge must decide. And the cost is prohibitive for both parents. Also, BOTH parents must agree upon the sort of custody they wish to have.

Skeptic July 31, 2012 at 21:26

Suggestion -
If you go to a hospital or clinic and get a form which uses the word “mother”, but instead of the word “father” it uses the word “parent”, then do this.
Take out from your shirt pocket an INDELIBLE INK red pen, cross out the word “parent” and replace it with the word “FATHER”.
Have fun.
Fuck their shit up.

Attila July 31, 2012 at 21:37

I didn’t know there were any men in England- except for the immigrants.

As soon as I retire – I plan to spend several months out of the year in Latin America, Morocco, Greece and Turkey. It’s amazing how good it feels to get away from this horrible world the Anglos have created for themselves.

Attila July 31, 2012 at 21:39

And by the way – Ramadhan Mubarak!

walking in hell2 July 31, 2012 at 23:14

The present and future for American men:

This man’s wife filed charges against him for domestic assault. Then she spots him and tells the police. The police brutalize him, let a dog bite him, and then blatantly plant marijuana on him in front of the police camera.

TFH July 31, 2012 at 23:50

Things like this make me actually root for Sharia Law in Britain.

There is only one thing that could make me root for that, and feminism is it.

Troll King August 1, 2012 at 00:38

OT.

Have you guys heard about this new show on Oprahs Channel Oxygen?

It is called Snapped and it is exclusively about real world women who “snapped” and basically killed their husbands for no reason.

This woman thinks the show is “Hilarious”…

But don’t worry guyz, feminists are all about equality and helping us pawr menz be liberated from dat ebil patriarchy that harms us twu. This feminist has our back, she is obviously totes offended that Oprahs Network would air a show depicting and celebrating true life domestic abuse and murder against men:

Oh wait.

I know, Women’s ENews has our back….oh shii…

Oh well, thank gawd for that male privilege…/s

Robert in Arabia August 1, 2012 at 00:47

Ramadan kareem!

ActaNonVerba August 1, 2012 at 02:03

I think I’ll make a rap song…..99 problems and 95 are related to women, manginas, and white knights.

Gamerp4 August 1, 2012 at 03:18

“f-word”

Well i have seen all, Now we dont see the difference between Father and the Other F Word, You cannot say Father infront of a lesbian couple, You know it might offend the poor “strong” and “independent” princess.

Well what about the Gay couples, wont they be offended by the word MOTHER, NO, they wont and if they would WHO CARES, they are faggots and they are to remain one, But we sure dont want to offend the GirlonGirl relationship or else Zeus and Jesus might curse us from our 5th position.

Lovekraft August 1, 2012 at 04:15

Well there certainly is a welcome lull in having the Olympics distract the masses from the social marxist rush to make everyone in the State’s feminist version. In a couple of weeks, we will return to the same old struggle.

But I would like to see a survey of news articles featuring female athletes compared to past Olympics. My guess is the CBC here in Canada has toned it down somewhat (for now).

With a populace maturing in their awareness of priorities and expectations, socialist do-gooders appear more and more irrelevant.

bruno August 1, 2012 at 05:36

“She let 2 8 y/o girls starve to death, and is only going to serve 8 years for it. ”

Her husband, Marc Dutroux, who is depicted as the worst person of Belgium, actually asked her from prison: please don’t forget to take care of the children (who were locked in the couple’s basement).
But she “forgot” to feed them, so they starved to death.
She never gave any logical reason why she never fed them.

And then of course he is depicted as the criminal mastermind, and she as his helpless victim, just because she’s the woman.

If these were two men, doing exactly the same crimes, then the one who did what Michelle Martin did would never ever be released so quickly.

But she’s getting out now, just because she’s a woman, even while the parents of the victims, who know all the details of the crimes the best, consider her as being much worse than Marc Dutroux.

And the self-declared Radical Feminist Belgian Minister of Justice, Annemie Turtelboom sais: “She has the right to be released, it is the law”.

Trevor August 1, 2012 at 06:08

The NHS has always sidelined fathers. Try asking for your child’s blood group after birth. It breeches patient confidentiality so you cannot be told. The real reason is more mundane, because of the level of paternity fraud, some fathers realised, because of the blood groups, that their baby wasn’t their baby at all but another mans. This means the NHS could not discharge the mother as quickly as it would have liked, so beds were blocked. Much easier to join in the mothers deceit and keep the beds free.

Christina August 1, 2012 at 06:41

Why Men Should Be Willing To Die For Women

I have a background in Ancient History, but I’m by no means an expert, or a good resource…but I could add something to this. It has nothing to do with women, but everything to do with children.

By no means is it relevant today, but offspring was a man’s way to “immortality”. Only a male heir keeps your blood going. Some ancient cultures practiced that if a man died before his wife provided a male heir, his wife would be passed to the next male relative to produce an heir for that man. Keeping your wife alive was a means of keeping your blood line going. After birth and in the early years, the primary source of food would have been breast milk and the #1 way to ensure your child would make it to weaning (child death was prominent, too – not just maternal death).

I also don’t know if I agree with Maternal death being higher than male death in war – which would be another reason to protect the wife if given the opportunity. If the woman died in childbirth (or while child was young), chances of leaving behind an orphan would have been high with the father being sent off to war constantly. No one is going to protect someone else’s offspring when so much is at stake in protecting or procuring your own.

Rebel August 1, 2012 at 09:16

When I look at the present situation of fatherhood Vs young men’s willingness to become fathers and head a family, I wonder if the NHS is wasting money and resources…

Here in Canada, ver few young men indeed are interested in putting a yoke around their necks, risk losing everything in one single incident and risk even jail time. Young men of today have had their spirit destroyed by feminism and by the government. Why should they jump off a plane if there is a 50% chance the parachute will not open?

But then agin, if the very notion of being a father has disappeared from the minds of young men, why bother erasing fatherhood? Isn’t there something better to do with the money?

Why invest resources in killing a body that is already dying? I say: let the thing die alone, it doesn’t need assistance.

Keyster August 1, 2012 at 09:39

It’s being deserted by men who are seeking more rigorous disciplines or specialties – – where the money is. The shortage will be in “general practitioners”, which is now dominated by women. If women do specialize its normally pediatrics or ob/gyn, or serving women and thier babies. Veterinary medicine is also dominated by females here.

You will NEVER hear about the limitations of Canadian or British healthcare systems from our leftist media here. Instead you get propaganda pieces from the likes of socialist Michael Moore (Sicko).

EVERYONE has access to healthcare in the USA regardless of whether they can afford it. The “access” canard is a liberals way of saying we let people simply die in the streets by keeping our hospital doors closed to the poor.

Ironically if ObamaCare is allowed to come to full fruition, healthcare for everyone will decline as the system is over-run and we have less doctors to care for more patients. It’s amazing how a system that is “FREE” gets abused. All the examples of why Obamacare is bad is right before our eyes, and 40% of our country can’t see it.

Rocco August 1, 2012 at 10:47

@ Keyster

I agree.

We will have less quality health care for most people, especially those with health insurance now. For those without they will be forced to pay for the very insurance they refuse to pay for right now.

FYI people from all over the world come here for the quality of our health care. And, our public hospitals for the poor are tide to the private hospital level of care….under Obama care each will drop in quality.

There will always be for pay top notch health care for the rich.

Furthermore, the average quality of health care under Obama care will probably be worse than the British or Canadian systems as we have more poor and a more diverse population here.

IMO.

Darryl X August 1, 2012 at 11:19

@ keyster -

“EVERYONE has access to healthcare in the USA regardless of whether they can afford it.”

I am by no stretch of the imagination a socialist but then again I do not regard the new health care law signed by Obama a socialist health care law but a fascist one. (It used to call for jailing of men who could not afford to pay for insurance but I think that has been eliminated from the current draft of the law – but it would not surprise me if it was brought back in subsequent ones.)

That being written, I and most other men I know who have spent any significant amount of time in financial circumstances similar to my current one (abject poverty) have been denied health care routinely in the US including care necessary for sustaining life. Our health care system has enough trouble serving people who can afford to pay. It certainly doesn’t make any extra effort to serve those who can’t.

There is plenty to complain about a socialist health care system but the corporate lobbying and other problems which have driven up costs in the US do not reflect well upon an exclusively capitalist model.

As I wrote in a previous post on this thread, an article in Time Magazine only two or three years ago ranked the US health care system 39th in the world in terms of quality and access to care. Behind Cuba and Costa Rica if I’m not mistaken. Way behind.

I know many people who have visited the US from overseas (Europe, Australia, Brazil, etc…) who were appalled at the state of our health care system. And they were lucky enough to have support and subsidization from their own countries. They recognized that it is even worse for a US citizen than for a non-citizen. Anyone who is familiar with our Veterans Administration and state of medical care of our vets through that should acknowledge serious problems with our health care system. The US can’t even provide adequate care of our military personnel.

Health care is not a business and does not respond to basic economic philosophy like laws of supply and demand. If you are fatally ill and need care you will pay whatever someone will charge you so you can live. There are no mechanisms to mitigate this dynamic or relationship between care and what someone can charge.

Health care is not selling widgets but life. Although I agree that socializing it will compromise innovation and other aspects and allow powerful governments to manipulate it for their own advantages, completely privatizing it will and already has resulted in similar outcomes.

Privatized or socialized system , corporate lobbyists (insurance and pharmaceutical companies, etc…) need to be removed from health care and legislation concerning it. Excessive law suits also need to be eliminated. There are many other reforms that would help.

Presently, cost of our excessively expensive health care system comes largely at the expense of the access to it and life of men like myself. And it is mostly men who suffer under our current system. And it would likely be men who suffer under a socialist system too.

I discourage you from the constant rhetoric that “EVERYONE has access to healthcare in the USA regardless of whether they can afford it” which is obviously not true because it discourages necessary discussion about needed reforms to our current system.

It’s too expensive and therefore those who cannot afford care don’t get it. I have been turned away from hospital many times and so have many other men. Many innocent men die in the US every day because they don’t have adequate access to care.

They have to ration their prescription drugs if they can afford them at all. They are denied proceedures which have been around for decades in other countries like Costa Rica that would improve the quality of life and time for recovery (if not necessarily actually saving their lives). And on and on. A huge problem and getting worse is the inadequate number of doctors. And throw in a bunch of women to stem the tide and not only is the problem not going to get better but it is going to get worse.

And an important and primary reason for these problems with health care in the US is that women misuse and waste resources associated with our health care system and displace men who need it more and earned it more and contributed to it more. And we aren’t even a socialized system like England or other countries. And women have still managed to screw it up.

I am opposed to putting a cost on saving a man’s life in any system of health care as much as I am a cost on children as has been done in our current child support system.

Darryl X August 1, 2012 at 11:46

@ Rocco -

I agree that the US is too big and diverse to support an exclusively socialist system of health care.

But most people in the US who do not have health insurance are not deliberately uninsured. They simply can’t afford the insurance. Student, anyone?

Believing that most men who don’t have health insurance in the US are deliberately uninsured is the same thing as believing that most fathers who don’t pay their child support do so deliberately. Which as we all know is obviously not true.

Most fathers pay what they can afford. Some do refuse to pay deliberately but that is because they are denied access to their children or because they are victims of paternity fraud. I can’t afford to pay for health insurance because my ex steals all my income for child support. And I can’t afford to pay all that even.

Instead of complaining about innocent men like me (BTW – I have made significant and dramatic and important contributions to the lives of men like yourself in ways that I don’t think you are even capable of understanding so I’m not just some lazy deadbeat but a highly educated and accomplished man and scholar), perhaps you and keyster could identify the mechanisms by which men like me could take advantage of our health care system. I’ll bet I’ve already thought of any that you would come up with and a whole lot more that you couldn’t.

Indeed it is exactly the men like myself who have been disproportionately victimized by our current health care system and our child support system. Which is why your civilization is falling apart. Incomes for calculating child support are imputed in part by education.

For these and similar reasons (concerning our systems of health care and child support) Ralph Catalano (Prof, Public Health, UC Berkeley) wrote in the Wall Street Journal that, “We are at risk of having a generation of young men who are not connected with the labor market and society because they have never benefited from it.” That ship sailed a long time ago. More than four decades.

Rocco August 1, 2012 at 12:11

@ Darryl X

You do understand that under Obama care you will be forced, just like with child support, to pay for health insurance even if your a young healthy male and, statistically, unlikely to use any health care?

keyster August 1, 2012 at 13:47

Yeah, if Time Magazine says the US healthcare system is ranked 39th they must be right. I’d cross check that with whatever Newsweek or the NYTimes says…but then we all should know by now how that works.

Yeah, the healthcare systems of Cuba and Costa Rica (it was Nicaragua) are fantastic for the “well-connected” I’m sure. That’s what we’ll have here. Special fee based hospitals for the rich and government officials, and everyone else will be forced to go the the lousy government exchange facilities that have the worst doctors willing to work for peanuts with the worst equipment.

Don’t tell me – – you’re a Michael Moore fan.
You’re drinkin’ the kool-aid brother.
ObamaCare’s major tenet is financial parity between men and women, and men are being asked to pay for it. Have you even read the bill? Government mandated healthcare is by women, for women. That should be enough for even the most liberal MRA.

Darryl X August 1, 2012 at 13:52

@ Rocco -

I hope you don’t take my following post the wrong way. It is not intended to be confrontational and maybe I am ignorant of something about the new law. So, if I’m completely off base about something, please let me know.

As far as I understand, the new law does not require you to pay for health insurance anymore if you don’t want it and it does not punish you for not buying it (like with jail as required by earlier drafts). You are required to pay a 1% tax on your income for not buying health insurance.

Actually, under the new law, a young healthy male as long as he is under the age of twenty-six will be covered under his father’s health insurance (and in extremely rare instances, his mother’s but I’ll bet they will be able to find the father in those instances too or at least a stooge).

And do you understand that even healthy young males still need access to health care occasionally? I understand that need grows as you age but you may need it in youth too. Wish I had health insurance when I was a temporary employee working grave-yard shift at a factory when a 200lb box of plastic cups fell on my head.

And do you also understand that cost of health insurance for those who do not wish to purchase it will only be 1% of your income. No I don’t like it but come on. One percent? Is it really that bad? For a man of average income, that’s $520 a year. Last time I checked, health insurace for full coverage (minus dental and optical) was $10-12,000. I’m sure it’s more now.

Sounds like a deal to me. I do not like this law at all. I do not agree with many of its provisions. I certainly did not agree with penalties like jail or huge fines in the six digits. But those are gone now from what I understand.

I pay $30,000 in child support a year for two children and take home less than $15,600 a year. I have health insurance through an employer but still can’t afford health care because cost is even too much after insurance pays for its share.

If you have no income, then you don’t pay anything. If your income is $1,000,000 a year and you’re only paying 15% of your income in taxes because you parked a significant amount of your income in off-shore accounts and didn’t declare it, then 1% of that which you did declare for a health insurance tax isn’t too much to ask.

I do not support the kind of socialism promoted by feminists (which is actually fascism). But I do not support the mentality that men like me should be thrown under the bus just because my value to this country is not recognized. No one should get rich in this country off welfare (the way many currently do – I know many people who make more in welfare benefits than I do working) but no one who actually needs help should be denied it. In this country today, the men who need help the most and contributed the most are denied help the most. The ones who need it the least and contributed the least and borrowed money at the expense of others are the ones who get the most help. It promotes usury and Ponzi schemes. That’s a completely backward society. It’s unsustainable because then you have young men looking at older men like myself and saying, “Geesh, he worked his ass off and supported this country and they threw him to the wolves. Guess I’m not going to work and support this country the way he did.” And that’s where we are today.

That’s the kind of greed which got us into the mess we’re currently in. That’s the kind of greed which defined feminism. I encourage the MRM to distinguish itself from it. As an aside, I just had a discussion today with a prominent MRA in Canada and s/he was identifying these kinds of qualities of the MRM which have impeded progress for forty years.

Charles Martel August 1, 2012 at 14:25

Keyster

Here in Massachusetts we’ve already had Obamacare (Romneycare actually) for a couple of years. If you already have a doctor you’re OK but if you’re looking for a doctor, good luck. One practice I called told me they’d be happy to sign me up as a new patient but I should know they were a “Concierge Care” practice. Concierge Care means you write a $2,000 check once a year direct to the doctor, in addition to any charges for service, so the doctor will see you when you need an appointment. What a shakedown. I told them that as I already pay $14,000 a year for health insurance I was not too excited about pay-for-play on top of that.

The quality of the health care here is very good though. Excellent hospitals. You know why.

Darryl X August 1, 2012 at 14:31

@ keyster -

I’m pretty sure it was Costa Rica (I’m pretty sure Nicaragua basically doesn’t have a health care system and that is an important reason expats haven’t been flocking there like they have to Costa Rica – but maybe things have changes since last time I looked). And no I don’t drink the Kool-Aid (I think the last thing anyone can call me is a Kool-Aid drinker). I understand that Obamacare is for women and paid by men. I don’t deny that. And no I’m not a Michael Moore fan but I don’t disagree with some of his points about medical care in the US and I have been an open critic of our system of health care in the US for decades. And yes I understand the problems with Time Magazine and a report by it about our rank for health care. But regardless of where we’re ranked and who did the ranking, the US has severe problems with its system of health care. For the most part in the US, the health care system is still for the “well connected” which includes those on welfare. But for those who aren’t well connected, its nonexistent. Too poor or in the wrong victim class to get it and too poor to get it.

Darryl X August 1, 2012 at 14:33

@ deyster -

And yes I have tried to keep up with the many drafts of the new law but it has changed so much (radically even) from draft to draft and quite frankly it’s pretty poorly written and thought-out and basically incomprehensible. So I likely do misunderstand much of it. And most of our legislators and everyone else do too.

a_guy August 1, 2012 at 17:02

The meme that the US healthcare system is a disaster is complete horseshit. In fact, the US DOES have the best healthcare system in the world, in terms of actually knowledge, technology, and competence of medical staff. Where th “disaster” meme comes in is that all the socialists of the world are horrified that Suzy or Juanita can’t walk into any hospital in the country and get a abortion for free. Ditto for any other medical treatment, like getting a splinter removed or a cut bandaged or a prescription for birth control.

Except that all such healthcare IS free in the US (in a sense). Most people might not be aware of this, but, in addition to all of the entitlement programs (Medicaid, Medicare, etc.), it is federal law that any hospital emergency room has to accept and treat patients whether they have insurance (or any other method of payment) or not. So if Aldaberto walks into a hospital emergency waiting room with a hangnail, he gets treated, no questions asked.

Where does the money come from to pay for all of this “free” medical care? It comes from the people who actually pay! It comes from the people who go to doctors with legitimate health concerns, the ones who have insurance or other means to pay. The cost of Aldaberto’s “free” trip to the hospital results in higher prices for everything for the people who actually pay. In a sense, this means that our healthcare system is already socialized, because every paying customer is shouldering the cost for every non-paying customer. The paying customers, of course, see their costs rise. Health insurance companies see their costs rise because higher costs to the patient mean higher claims on the insurance. Higher claims on the insurance mean higher premiums to the customer.

Now, here’s an aspect of the US healthcare system that is deliberately buried by our left-wing media: given what was described above, and given that there are anywhere from 12 million (the official government estimate) to 30 million (the likelier number) illegal immigrants in the US at THIS VERY MOMENT, where do you think those illegal immigrants go for their “free” healthcare, and who do you think ends up paying for that “free” healthcare? Because of this federal law that all emergency room patients MUST be treated regardless of ability to pay, hospitals along the southwest border with Mexico have had to shut their doors as a result of bankruptcy and lack of resources to deal with the overwhelming hordes of people. In fact, one of the most infamous tactics of female illegals is to sneak across the border while pregnant, just in time to give birth at a US hospital (which MUST treat her) and therefore have a legally registered American citizen anchor baby. Eh voila! Now she can apply (legally!) for all kinds of welfare goodies, including WIC, TANF, Public Housing and Section 8 programs.

Before WWII, when people paid for medical services up front, doctors did house calls. the bill might be $10. Then businesses after WWII got the idea of luring the shrunken labor pool (due to mass male die-off in the war) to their doors by adding some health benefits. That, of course, mutated into the government, REQUIRING businesses to provide healthcare, and now the left-wing Obama lovers treat businesses as if their sole purpose were to provide welfare benefits to worthless people, rather than to produce a product and make money. With somewhat universal health insurance for the employed, and medicare for the leeches, people started going to doctors for every little sniffle, causing an increase in demand and prices to rise. In other words, a bubble.

Lastly, the socialist healthcare systems of places like Canada and the UK actually benefit from the US healthcare system, because, since we still have for-profit medicine here, there is incentive for companies and medical professionals to invent new medical technologies, pharmaceuticals, and procedures. In socialized healthcare systems there is no such incentive. Without even looking, I’ll bet it’s been decades since the UK or Canada has come up with a new innovation in healthcare, while the US does it all of the time. Then the socialized healthcare systems of those countries simply adopt the new innovation in their system, having been spared the research costs. If the US system goes socialist, our innovation will die also, and there will be virtually NO NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN MEDICINE…ever again, unless done by a country like Russia or China (oh, the irony).

The argument that the US healthcare system is a disaster is only so that the totalitarian socialists (but I repeat myself) can get control over yet another huge aspect of our lives and a huge chunk of our economy so that their New World Order aspirations will be that much closer to complete. Actually, they will be complete because control over healthcare is literally power of life and death over everyone. When government has that power, the people are finished.

The US healthcare system is an imperfect system, and the only thing worse is every other system that exists.

Hf August 1, 2012 at 19:21

I can testify that you will be treated here in the US, money or no, insurance or no. Also, Ive paid for enough goddamn insurance without ever having used it somebody better be getting some treatment for it.

crella August 2, 2012 at 02:13

‘The meme that the US healthcare system is a disaster is complete horseshit. In fact, the US DOES have the best healthcare system in the world, in terms of actually knowledge, technology, and competence of medical staff. ‘

I think it depends on what coverage you have, and possibly where you reside. Both of my parents have gotten hideous care, particularly my father, who was denied treatments that would have made his last two months more bearable, because it wasn’t worth it to them to spend the money on someone who was going to die anyway. I was totally rip-sh*t about the care he was (not) receiving, and one more call to the cancer center (after a dozen already) was met with ‘You DO realize he’s terminal!?’ A request for a couple more anti-nausea pills got the response ‘Those are expensive, we can’t give them out like candy!’

From my perch, the system is broken, and it’s going to take a lot to fix it.

Darryl X August 2, 2012 at 05:46

@ a_guy -

I understand that if you go into an emergency room, particularly that of a hospital publically funded (but I understand that is not the case for one privately funded), you can get treated for an emergency like a broken arm no questions asked. Although I understand that is not the case for a privately funded hospital.

Treating an acute condition like a broken arm or a hang-nail is easy and relatively inexpensive. A man who has worked hard his whole life and who has fallen on hard times because he owes inordinate amounts of child support and happened to lose his job is not eligible for public assistance (if you owe child support, you are denied public assistance of any kind) or a student (also denied any public assistance) can’t get screening for things like various treatable cancers.

If one of these men develops one of the various treatable cancers and goes into an “emergency” room with symptoms, the “emergency” room will not test him for cancer. “Emergency” rooms are exactly that – they are for “emergencies”. Acute conditions that can and must be treated because they pose an immediate threat. They generally do not treat or test for chronic problems like cancer. And if you have cancer, they will turn you out onto the street to die.

I understand your anger at having to pay large premiums for health insurance (I have done this for half my adult life too and it is infuriating). But directing your anger at innocent men who have worked hard and contributed to the system but happen to have fallen on hard times is inappropriate. And rationalizing your anger with the incorrect belief that these men have access to health care when they obviously don’t doesn’t solve the problem. You could be in the same situation they are some day. I doubt you would be singing the same tune then.

If by some lucky means a person with cancer is actually diagnosed outside of an “emergency” room and he cannot afford to treat it, an “emergency” room will not treat it. Even one at a hospital publically funded. Where I live, there are an abundance of homeless men who need medical care and their are posters up all over the place for benefits and other activities to raise money to treat children with cancer or some other life-threatening illness. These men are homeless (many are veterans) and these chidlren do not receive the treatment they need because they are denied the care at hospitals which you write must accept them. But they don’t.

I agree that many illegal immigrants take unfair advantage of our health care system. I agree that women certainly take unfair advantage of our health care system. But all that usually comes at the expense of poor people, particularly men and children from our own country much more than the rich. To this degree, our system of health care is socialized already but socialized to accomodate the wrong people – the people who do not deserve any care and who never contributed to the system and really who do not really need it (contraception” – it’s ridiculous as well as insulting and offensive and any woman should be ashamed).

I do not believe that our system of health care should be socialized such that one-third or half or all of the population falls under its umbrella. And it definitely shouldn’t be mandatory coerced by extreme punishments like jail. But there does need to be a component of our health care system that needs to be socialized and accommodate approximately 10% of the population who through no fault of there own (maybe even you someday – there for the Grace of God go I) need care desperately for long term illnesses.

Currently, our system of health care is extremely under-staffed. There is a critical shortage of doctors and bed-space, particularly at hospitals publically funded. For that reason alone (forget all the politics and financial problems), many men (and children) do not receive the care they need. I know this becuase I see these men every day. There is no excuse for a country as rich as this one for men who have worked hard their whole lives and were robbed of everything they have by the government or whoever else (maybe even you) to be denied access to health care.

If you borrowed money from a bank any time during the past forty years, men like myself who did not borrow money are paying for your debt. That is why interest rates are being kept near zero for the forseeable future. To transfer the wealth of those who saved and invested in themselves, their families and their country to those who merely borrowed money and drove our economy off the cliff. It is why the Bible discourages usury. The only time Jesus Christ ever got angry at anyone was at the money changers in the temple. That includes those who lent as well as borrowed. Money changing is evil.

Throughout history, anyone who has borrowed money has made those who didn’t borrow money pay off their debts for them. It’s welfare too. And it’s just as bad as being an illegal immigrant or a woman standing in an emergency room waiting for treatment of a hang-nail or to receive free birth control. If you want to do something to discourage socialized medicine or to discourage welfare, stop borrowing money you don’t need. Your as big a part of the problem as any woman or any illegal immigrant. But there for the Grace of God go I.

Darryl X August 2, 2012 at 05:56

@ a_guy -

“The argument that the US healthcare system is a disaster is only so that the totalitarian socialists (but I repeat myself) can get control over yet another huge aspect of our lives and a huge chunk of our economy so that their New World Order aspirations will be that much closer to complete.”

I agree with this conclusion totally. But it is not the whole picture. Can’t throw the baby out with the bath water. A small part of our health care system will always need to be socialized. There will always be evil people stealing from innocent people who need health care and unless a component of the system is socialized, they will not get it otherwise. I have no problem contributing to a system like that. And to help promote a system like that, I have declined any opportunty for credit throughout my life.

Darryl X August 2, 2012 at 06:02

@ a_guy -

Another problem with out health care system is stupid people suing doctors for excessively large amounts of money for relatively minor and honest and understandable errors that are just part of interacting with the medical community and the cost of those lawsuits to the system and to doctors, discouraging men from going to school and practicing medicine. What are your thoughts on this development over the last four decades?

Darryl X August 2, 2012 at 11:10

@ crella -

“Those are expensive, we can’t give them out like candy!”

Funny how they can give out oral contraceptive birth control to women like candy. I wonder how expensive THAT is.

Darryl X August 2, 2012 at 11:41

@ a_guy -

“Without even looking, I’ll bet it’s been decades since the UK or Canada has come up with a new innovation in healthcare, while the US does it all of the time.”

The US has never been a primary innovator for medicine or medical technology. That distinction goes to England and the Europeans of various nationality. Countries like Australia and Canada aren’t far behind. Scientific Research in the US has never been very strong (especially if you measure it per capita) but it was strongest at the end of the nineteenth century and beginning of the twentieth century. It has been on a very steep downward slope since.

Many Americans have great misunderstanding about the origins of much of the technology and scientific innovations from which they benefit. That is because the US government is good at lying and spreading lots of propaganda about how great we are even though we really aren’t. We haven’t been for a very long time. I know because I am a member of the scientific community in the US. And I have even worked in medical research. It’s a very lonely world here. Throughout my twenty-seven year career, the sciences have been underfunded compared to most other countries. Most domestic students in the US with higher degrees in the natural sciences have had to go oversees for competitive salaries and benefits.

Not only is a higher degree in the natural sciences of little benefit to a professional in the US, but it is actually a considerable liability to the point of criminalization. Education is used to impute incomes for calculating child support, for instance. If a father can’t get a job commensurate with his education, then he can’t pay his child support and he’s screwed. And he likely can’t afford health care or health insurance either. And he is at much greater risk of imprisonment. There is absolutely no incentive for a young man to pursue an education in the natural sciences in the US and considerable disincentive (unlike other countries).

For this reason, Ralph Catalano (Prof Public health UC Berkeley wrote in an article for the Wall Street Journal, “We’re at risk of having a generation of young males who aren’t well-connected to the labor market and who don’t feel strong ownership of community or society because they haven’t benefited from it.” Actually, that ship started sailing more than forty years ago. The US got out of the scientific research business more than forty years ago but if it was still in it at all it continued to decline throughout the 60′s and 70′s. And by 1980, Reagan fired one-third of all research scientist working for the federal government – the largest employer of research scientists in the US at the time. When he did that, any semblance of competitiveness in the natural sciences if there was any left at all was completely destroyed and we have never recovered.

Jolly Rauncher August 2, 2012 at 14:01

America’s health care system is so screwed up because of government getting so deeply involved with licensing, monitoring, paying, and managing health care services that only subsidized behemoths could afford to pay for it.

Bring back the house-call doc, bring back capitalistic, privatized health care. Mind you doctors would not leave somebody to die in my scenario, as it’s illegal to not render aid to a dying person when one could have.

Art Vandelay August 4, 2012 at 08:58

I read an article that the EU discussed replacing the words mother and father with Parent 1 and Parent 2. The thing here is, that fatherhood is not connected to parenting anymore, it’s just a biological and financial connection.

Anonymous August 4, 2012 at 14:22

Womyn, good; men suck… coming to healthcare near you in 2014, thank you Democrats.

Opus August 13, 2012 at 02:55

Now that The Olympics are over for another four years and as Keyster’s views on the opening ceremony (as set out above) mirrored my own, this is what I thought of the closing ceremony – probably my only chance to say it:

I thought the stage set was well designed and inevitable, and though it did not contain any of the horrors of the opening ceremony, – though what was the point of Batman and Robin both fictional americans getting out of a Reliant Robin? – far from being a celebration of Britain and its ‘vibrant’ music, it revealed that its glory days are as much history as the British Empire (which so much of these ceremonies lampooned): The only really good music were the fifty year old Beatles songs, and these were covered by young artists; The Spice Girls (whose career is over – and who were always manufactured) are heading for cougardom; I thought George Michael good, but the rest; Brian May, Ray Davies, and Eric Idle (although he was funny) seemed to come from some ghastly wax-work museum. The rest veered between forgettable and derisory. Where is the new talent? I saw none.

As so many of our medals seemed to come from people who may be British but certainly not Britons, it was hard, frequently, to raise any patriotic spirit or enthusiasm. I blame all this on the 1648 Treaty of Westphalia.

There is however something bizarre about the Olympics: Prancing Horses, Punching Females, the constant suspicion that most of the Athletes are getting away somehow with performance enhancing drugs and the greater suspicion that some people have made a lot of money out of it. What does it prove, when even the world’s fastest man is only the fastest because he trains in another country – yours – and when he looks exactly the same as your less successful runners.