First Impressions of Home on Return

by W.F. Price on May 10, 2012

I arrived home yesterday afternoon after a long journey, and despite what I’ve written recently concerning the problems in the states found myself happy to be here. I do love the weather, the scenery and the clean feeling of the Pacific Northwest. It’s quite literally a breath of fresh air.

However, I was soon a bit disappointed. While in Europe I lost about three kilograms – nearly seven pounds – without really trying. My long daily walks, daily climbs up many flights of stairs and healthier diet combined to help the weight fall right off me effortlessly. So, I decided that I’d try to keep this up while back home, and went to the grocery store with this in mind. Unfortunately, I found that healthy food is far more expensive than in Europe, while the junk is much cheaper. I wanted to buy a loaf of rye bread, some deli meats and cheese for snacks and lunch. All were expensive and of decidedly lower quality than in Europe. It dawned on me that the American lifestyle is not only pervasive, but for many of us nearly unavoidable without serious effort.

Additionally, you can’t just walk to the store here for daily essentials. Driving is necessary. So, once again I find myself seated more of the time. It seems to me that we went wrong somewhere along the line, and instead of simply adjusting to a healthier lifestyle we have to make extra effort and spend more to keep ourselves in decent shape.

Sure, you’ll see a lot of fit Americans, but they generally spend hours exercising every week. Instead of being a part of one’s daily routine, it is necessary here to schedule exercise, buy equipment, a gym membership, etc. What a disappointment.

Everything about the US in recent years seems to be a departure from nature. Instead of accommodating our lives to suit the natural world, we tend to fight it and compensate with more effort. Our politics are no different. Rather than adjusting to normal human nature, we create a police state to control every aspect of our relations with the opposite sex, our children, coworkers, and any other people we interact with.

This is unsustainable, and not only in the environmentalist sense of the word, but the human sense as well. People can only handle so much before things start to fall apart, and it seems to me that we are getting closer to the point of breakdown. I don’t envision some anarchic, Katrina-style armageddon, but rather a steady decline in function, much as a sick, aging patient slowly declines before finally succumbing. As I suggested a few posts back, I am a bit pessimistic about the hope for recovery. The structural problems are just too entrenched, and nobody will want to give an inch. Too much has been placed on the shoulders of the young, and those in power will continue to plunder the politically weak to suit their more powerful constituencies.

Tom May 10, 2012 at 11:31

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for freedom of choice and variety: if some people want to it that, fine with me. What pisses me off, is that toxic junk food is the ONLY CHOICE. For the few of us who want to eat healthy, it is practically impossible to do in the US, aside from making everything from raw ingredients yourself (including making your own bread.. don’t even get me started on that mushy chemical crap that they call “bread”)

Everything is absurdly processed, void of nutritional value, filled with chemical preservatives, flavors and fillers (many of which are banned in Europe because they are toxic) and sweetened with ungodly amounts of high-fructose corn syrup (the frankenstein “sugar” that the human body cannot regulate, and quickly causes obesity and diabetes)

Ethical May 10, 2012 at 11:31

Welcome back.

“Instead of being a part of one’s daily routine, it is necessary here to schedule exercise, buy equipment, a gym membership, etc. What a disappointment”.

I’m trying the 60 day/30 min per day “Insanity” workout. I’m only on the second week (out of eight) and so far I’ve lost about five pounds and look and feel much fitter. It’s amazing in that it doesn’t require any weights or equipment whatsoever and you can do it in your own home. I’ll let you know it works out at the end but so far I’m pretty impressed. I was amazed that something like this was available and I didn’t know about it … far more effective at getting you in shape quickly than going to the gym or anything else. But beware dizziness or heart irregularity. This workout is serious business.

Stoltz May 10, 2012 at 12:45

Reminds me of the time I went to a small town in England on business many years back. I went to a few local restaurants while there and found them about half-full at best with customers at peak hours. And while English food isn’t usually the best on one’s palate, I thought a couple of the restaurants had some rather good cuisine. A street or two over from one of the restaurants I frequented the most were two American staples: McDonalds and Pizza Hut. Both of those places were jam-packed full of people.

Lara May 10, 2012 at 12:58

Quartermain May 10, 2012 at 12:59

Welcome back, Mr. Price.

“Finally, the people dominating the political debate are distracting us from the real problems with non-issues, such as gay marriage and contraception. As unemployment and underemployment continue along at unacceptable levels, our President and his rival can only talk about things that have the most minimal impact on the lives of ordinary Americans. Could it really be that the main issues of the campaign will be gay marriage and subsidized contraception? Are these more important than rising fatherlessness, the student debt crisis and stagnant wages?”

You nailed it. That has been the case for about 30 years. I am sick to death of American politics, especially political correctness.

Lara May 10, 2012 at 13:02

When the United States was made up of small, family farms people ate seasonally and what was available to them. We have a glut of food on the market now, and it is terrible for the health and appearance of the population.

Boxer May 10, 2012 at 13:03

Dear Bill:

I try and see the silver lining in every cloud… for example:

All these American boys should take the feminist president Obama up on his offer to subsidize your educations. Most of this free money that’s being given away is not sex-specific, so men should be signing up for the good stuff too, before it disappears.

A man can do worse than nailing down the basics (calculus, adv. english comp, a foreign language) at a cheap community college. After doing as well as one can there, he’ll hopefully be eligible for a scholarship to continue on in a BA program at some public university.

A degree in sociology or gender studies is meaningless, but a man with a degree in electrical or mechanical engineering can find work literally anywhere. If one can’t get an engineering job, he can find a gig as a diesel mechanic or electrician.

Loans should be avoided, but in the worst case scenario, taking a job in Europe or South America will put you out of the reach of the bill collectors, if you know what I’m sayin’.

These free goodies are already drying up, and will probably be gone in a few years. As long as the mangina president keeps propping up the student aid tent at the expense of society, there’s no reason why men shouldn’t get theirs.

Regards, Boxer

keyster May 10, 2012 at 13:03

Try to exclude bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and high fructose corn syrup from your diet. It’s hard to do because those things fill you up and make you feel good, but it works.

Low carb, high fat – as Anon 70 recently alluded.

Carbs are everywhere because they’re cheap to make and have a high profit margin. If you can’t burn it off, don’t eat it.

Nemo May 10, 2012 at 13:25

The politicos deliberately shift the focus onto emotionally charged issues such as gay marriage to divert attention from their looting and pillaging of the middle class. Emotion is much easier to manipulate than logic.

Most men are not gay and many who are gay don’t even want to marry, so this “issue” directly affects maybe 0.5% to 1% of the male population.

Meanwhile, if you travel to many places in the American Midwest you will see many abandoned businesses with small *trees* growing where the lawns and parking lots once were. If there is a 10 foot tall tree growing on the front lawn of an empty and boarded-up building, it’s a safe bet that the owner no longer lives in that city any more.

Detroit is another matter entirely – illegal scavengers are literally demolishing the city, brick by brick, and selling the scrap metal from the buildings. The Chinese are indirectly mining the carcass of the US auto industry for copper and steel.

Meanwhile, the chattering classes worry about gay marriage at at time when even straight people don’t want to marry anymore. They are so out of touch it’s almost comical.

W.F. Price May 10, 2012 at 13:35

-Nemo

If that. I think 0.5% is on the high side. I don’t know any gay men who want to get “married.” My guess is that it’s going to be largely used as an immigration scam.

You know, there is precedent for a major leader in the classical world legalizing gay marriage. It was Nero, the infamous Roman emperor who is remembered as having played a fiddle while Rome burned, who prioritized gay marriage. Hmmm…

Art Vandelay May 10, 2012 at 13:40

Europe doesn’t have factory or industrial farming. I think that might be a big factor.

Of course we do. There is more regulation but it’s not all small family farms.

Towgunner May 10, 2012 at 13:42

Hey WF, your trip to the EU is very timely. I disagree with the incremental decline, although, it’s a likely scenario. However, events in the EU namely in Spain and France could push us ever closer to a rapid readjustment, which will be by all accounts an unmitigated disaster for all. Spain is just hitting certain thresholds, too be expected. France on the other hand is another catalyst. We all know that debt is the problem…the West has to reduce its debt and by doing so its government. France’s newly elected communist Hollande, has rejected “austerity”, so the spending will continue just like here in the US. He also has been making overtures to drop the US dollar. So, here is a likely scenario we’re facing in the near to intermediate term. The EU crisis will crescendo, maybe it’s a failed auction, maybe the EU dissolves, maybe the Euro goes to zero…maybe all these things. This is all coming to the US. US and global markets will go down in sympathy to this. We’ll ask for QE3. At some point inflation will be too hard to disguise. We may see a failed treasury auction. The US dollar losing its reserve currency status is now very likely. When that happens the consequences will be sharp and rapid. Everyone will see their standard of living drop precipitously. Where to…well to the point of equilibrium that the money supply should have been if it wasn’t exponentially increased by a hostile federal reserve over the last 30 years.

shiva1008 May 10, 2012 at 13:46

I don’t know, I don’t think it’s that bad. I walk 10 minutes to the bus (even though there’s one that goes right by my house), then 1o minutes from bus stop to work. Same on the way back, so that adds up to ~ 40 minutes of walking a day. I think walking is a habit that can be cultivated. I walk to the grocery store or town square as often as I would drive there. And then I lift weights once a week (supposed to be twice). If it weren’t for the beer I’d be in perfect shape! But I need the beer to cope with the horrible american culture! haha

As for the food, well I think it’s also not that bad. For instance, someone mentioned the bread being terrible. Well sure most people eat wonder bread or refined wheat bread, but what about like Franz 7-grain bread. It’s not the best, but it’s decent. And frozen indian food or other macrobiotic packaged meals aren’t the best either but they’re not as bad as fast food. Basically America has so much variety, that if you go out of your way, you can find that super-organic hippie ultra whatever bread with the higher nutritional value.

Now one place where Europe is way ahead of us is in labeling and banning GMO foods. That’s some totalitarian s*** that scares the hell out of me and pisses me off at the same time.

Old Guy May 10, 2012 at 14:15

You should quit eating bread. Home made rye or Wonder Bread, it is all starch except for the part that is sugar and vegetable oil. Grain makes you fat and is bad for your health. Eat food you cook yourself made from basic parts, like meat and vegetables. Use lard, tallow, butter, and olive oil for cooking. If you do not eat grain, you will need lots less cooking fat. Quit drinking sugar drinks or artificially sweetened drinks. Drink plain coffee or tea when water won’t do. Buy a filter pitcher to clean up your tap water. The preceding and a 30 minute walk a day will make a big difference in your health.

Donkey May 10, 2012 at 14:30

Contraception is the reason feminism exists.

Feminism is the reason society is imploding.

The out of wedlock birth rate is 41%.

These people talk of avoiding rye breads and speak nothing of fumigated wombs.

I can tell you which one has more greatly affected our lives.

meistergedanken May 10, 2012 at 14:34

“It seems to me that we went wrong somewhere along the line,”

Two words: Car Culture.

JeremiahMRA May 10, 2012 at 15:19

Yes, modernity is disastrous. Technology is abused. We live in a very sick world. And for those who think we’re heading toward some Leftist utopia where we will become as God, they’re in for a surprise. We’re in for a bleak future and a life of slavery, even moreso than now.

JeremiahMRA May 10, 2012 at 15:26

@Old Guy

Olive oil isn’t ideal for cooking as it becomes less nutritious when heated. Also, almost all the “extra virgin olive oil” on the shelves today is contaminated with canola oil. If you want really healthy olive oil, you need to find undoctored oil, such as Bariani olive oil from California I believe.

Another healthy oil is coconut oil. I prefer Nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil (unbleached, cold pressed). It doesn’t oxidize or whatever at high temperatures because it’s a saturated fat. Also note that unlike what the liars of the world tell you, saturated fats like coconut oil, butter, etc. are quite good for you, whereas poly unsaturated fats from vegetable oils are extremely unhealthy.

Drama May 10, 2012 at 15:37

Another thing I noticed from staying in Germany. The refridgerators are smaller, thus you can’t store an excess amount of food in your house.
You buy what you need for 2 or 3 days max cause that’s all you can store. Then when you’re at the store picking things out, you’re also reminded that the unpleasantness of the 400 meter(not yards) walk back to the apartment is directly correlated to the amount of grocery bags you’re carrying.

As for the health stuff, there’s a new report out saying it’s everyone’s problem. We’ll see how that approach works out.

LastCrucible May 10, 2012 at 16:05

I don’t eat the healthiest. However, I do run 3 miles every other day at a good pace. I’m slim and fit. I believe cardiovascular exercise, rest, and keeping stress in check (as much as possible) go a long way.

Brian May 10, 2012 at 16:26

Price, if there are any near you, have you tried wholesalers or Asian groceries? They usually have good deals on some fresh, healthy foods.

anexpat May 10, 2012 at 16:40

Tom nailed it. In Houston fast food and frozen food were the only options if you didn’t like cooking, as I don’t. With only 40 minutes to lunch, you couldn’t go home or to a near restaurant or home. I spent one year eating Mexican food (from some poor immigrant restaurant), Subway or frozen diet food. Disgusting.

There were hundreds of fast food names but only five types of food: Pizza, hamburgers, fried chicken, Tex-mex tacos (plastic crap like Taco Bell’s), hotdogs. The same crap with different names.

When I wanted to walk, I have to get into my car to the nearest park. No wonder American people is that fat.

W.F. Price May 10, 2012 at 16:59

-Brian

Yeah, there are some good Chinese markets nearby. I sometimes go for vegetables and spices and such, but I can’t find my preferred breads, meats and cheeses there, so it’s hardly worth the drive. I suppose if I had a Chinese wife it would be just right, but such is not the case.

Unfortunately, generic American culture has been a nutritional disaster, and for most of us it’s the only convenient option.

will May 10, 2012 at 17:11

Sorry a bit offtopic but I feel compelled to share this shocking video:

TFH May 10, 2012 at 17:27

Corn syrup, yes.

For the others, merely switch to brown rice, bread, whole wheat pasta, etc. and you will be fine. The ‘brown’ equivalent of all of those are quite acceptable (they are what our ancestors ate, after all).

Potatoes are fine if eaten in moderation. Sweet potatoes as a sporadic substitute is very healthy, in fact.

Mr. J May 10, 2012 at 17:36

You all might find this odd, but Walmart bakery has the BEST bread rolls I have ever found and its cheap!!
As good or better than those high-dollar “bread” joints.
A fried egg on those round rolls…Mmmmmmmm

Mr. J May 10, 2012 at 17:38

Another thing……..just because places aren’t “walker friendly” doesn’t mean you can’t walk or bike from place to place, you definitely CAN, it just takes some extra thought is all.

Mr. J May 10, 2012 at 17:43

If you buy those big bags of bread rolls, be sure and refrigerate them as they mild almost overnight which also means they digest well.

Mr. J May 10, 2012 at 17:43

“mold”

Avenger May 10, 2012 at 18:04

Tom May 10, 2012 at 11:31

As a European who has lived in the States for a few years, the thing that infuriated me the most was how unavoidable toxic junk food was.What pisses me off, is that toxic junk food is the ONLY CHOICE

And where did you live?Podunk?

‘For the few of us who want to eat healthy, it is practically impossible to do in the US’

You have no idea what healthful diet is and either does that other geezer with the 70 IQ.Human being have evolved and adapted to eat almost anything and learned how to cook things that would not be edible raw. There is no ideal diet and it all depends on the individual.

‘(including making your own bread.. don’t even get me started on that mushy chemical crap that they call “bread”)’

First of all, no one has made their own bread and especially not in the past. That’s what bakers were for. Before gas and electric ovens it would have been an expensive and tedious job just to get an oven to the right temperature (assuming you even had an oven) and it’s actually easier today to bake but still a waste of time and money when you can buy any type of bread you want at a bakery.

‘Everything is absurdly processed, void of nutritional value, filled with chemical preservatives, flavors and fillers (many of which are banned in Europe because they are toxic)’

That’s nonsense because this stuff is also found in Europe only they don’t label it as such. Under US law many things are labelled “artificial” when in fact they are natural. For example, if cheese or mayonaise does not have a minimum fat content under the law it is labelled “artificial” as does ice cream that does not meet the fat content required by law. It’s labeledd ice milk or something but none of this means that the product is really artificial. In the US if some ingredient is listed as vanilla you know it is natural but in England it may actually be synthetic and was referred to in the past as “nature identical” and is what would have to be labelled in the US as artificial (vanilin). Vanilla is expensive, vanilin is etracted from wood and is cheaper. If anything, Europe is mislabelling food ingredients.(I won’teven go into the allowable rat crap permitted) And white bread whether made from bleached or unbleached flour is not inferior to heavy black whole wheat crap.

‘and sweetened with ungodly amounts of high-fructose corn syrup (the frankenstein “sugar” that the human body cannot regulate, and quickly causes obesity and diabetes)’

You have any proof for that? Personally I don’t use it but all it is is a sugar found in fruits or maize etc In fact you’d need it to make beer from those grains.

The problem with people is that they compare the top Euro food to the cheap stuff in the US. You want the top food then pay the price and there are hundreds of places just in Manhattan to buy it. The US has always only imported the top produccts from around the world and many people mistakenly believe that these products are typical of the countries they came from and that the average person uses them every day.

Avenger May 10, 2012 at 18:09

Mr. J May 10, 2012 at 17:43

Putting bread in a refrigerator will make it stale faster than keeping it at room temperature. To preserve it you would have to freeze it. And it’s spelt, mould :)

Avenger May 10, 2012 at 18:13

Mr. J May 10, 2012 at 17:36

Price is not important, bread is cheap.

As good or better than those high-dollar “bread” joints

Sure about that? I wouldn’t trust any food around those retards that Walmart employs, they’re liable to drip snot in the batter lol

W.F. Price May 10, 2012 at 18:13

-Avenger

Avenger, I’m going to have to put an end to this kind of gratuitous abuse. You’re driving people away, and that isn’t helpful to me or the site.

Eric May 10, 2012 at 18:22

Price;
I was expecting this. Coming back to America from abroad is always depressing—coming back to a place like Seattle is twice as bad.

This brings to mind a topic we were discussing on another MRA blog site recently about the obesity epidemic in women. It was brought up that there are lot of American men who are fat and have faults &c. Now, (especially since this a common thing in Seattle) consider this scenario VERY carefully:

We see a fat, scummy, unhygenic, belligerent lout skateboarding or panhandling somewhere out on the street. He can’t read or write; his favorite pasttimes are dealing drugs and watching TV—and his typical vacation destination is the King County Jail.

We see a creep like that and feel disgusted. But how does society punish him for his stupid behavior? Strangers walk up to him and shove money into his hands. The women he shouts catcalls at sleep with him and let him stay at their houses. He gets his bills paid by welfare. And for the men who are real men, and not creeps, the exact opposite happens: everyone is after our money, women ignore us, and we have to work harder as our bills go up.

The question, related to your article, is this: what incentive do American men have, other than the moral one, to do ANY kind of self-improvement? The more valuable a man is to society, the less it values him; and vice-versa. This social attitude, like we mentioned on the other blogsite, is brought about because our culture is so steeped in misandry that it cannot value men at all; it can only feel sorry for the men who’ve sunk to the bottom.

When one considers the ramifications of that conclusion; this really is a bitter reality-pill even for MRAs to swallow; because obviously, there’s no point in trying to shame these thuggish males into better behavior—while at the same time, we can’t offer normal men ANY cultural benefit to better behavior.

The best approach to dealing with it, from the MRM standpoint: I think that what we need to do is focus on giving men a way out of the culture—maybe a cultural version of MGTOW.

Eric May 10, 2012 at 18:34

Keyster:

Like Anon@70, I also lived for awhile in Mexico. You would be amazed how much easier it is to get fresh and (contrary to US media propaganda) healthier foods there than here. I remember going into a Mexican KFC—real chicken and fresh potatoes.

Also, too, the Mexican government bans the use of HFCS in Mexican-made products. Even though they eat a lot of sweets, they don’t have near the obesity problem that we have.

Eric May 10, 2012 at 18:42

Lara:
It’s also not advertised by the US media, but Europeans still grow their own food to a considerable extent. The Dutch, for example, have limited farming land but have developed greenhouse technology that has made them nearly self-sufficient agriculturally.

Israel is experimenting with the same thing. Israel is largely a desert, and they developed a process to extract salt from sea-water to ensure their own fresh water supply. A lot of the ‘sea salt’ in the health-food stores comes from Israel or other countries who’ve bought their technology.

Meanwhile, our culture fights obesity by telling us that fat women are ‘big and beautiful’ or ‘curvy’! LOL

Anonymous Reader May 10, 2012 at 18:46

Effects of high fructose corn syrup

Excerpt
There has been a remarkable increase in consumption of high-fructose corn syrup,” said Gerald Shulman of Yale University School of Medicine. “Fructose is much more readily metabolized to fat in the liver than glucose is and in the process can lead to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” he continued. NAFLD in turn leads to hepatic insulin resistance and type II diabetes.

Anonymous Reader May 10, 2012 at 18:47

CONCLUSION:

These short-term results suggest that, when fructose is consumed in the form of HFCS, the measured metabolic responses do not differ from Suc in lean women. Further research is required to examine appetite responses and to determine if these findings hold true for obese individuals, males, or longer periods.

Chris May 10, 2012 at 18:51

It can be affordable to get optimum nutrition, but you have to be willing to change your entire mindset towards food. View most foods in a package as evil and toxic and you will lose your taste for them. Alternatively, view foods that are good for you as medicinal. Here is what I eat every day, with some variation:

Breakfast: green or black tea, raw oatmeal with a bit of granola sprinkled in (watch out for sugar) and whole milk. Grapefruit.

Snack: nuts, spoonful of coconut oil.

Lunch: enormous salad with spinach, arugula, hormone-free chicken, and about ten different vegetables chopped up. I leave out nightshades like tomatoes because they are pro-inflammatory. Dressing: olive oil and vinegar with salt and pepper. Important to note is the high fat content with a whole avocado and olive oil.

Snack: nuts, low-sugar fruit (apple, pear, peach, grapefruit)

Dinner: salmon, chicken, or occasionally lean ret meat and steamed vegetables, boiled quinoa or baked sweet potato. Alternative: green smoothie with kale and low-sugar fruits (I will add banana though), vegetables, whey protein powder (such as Protizyme or Isopure) Green Vibrance powder, ginger, homeade yoghurt or kefir (super easy to make if you have milk and a microwave). A Vita Mix, while a bit pricey, is the best option for making smoothies. It is key to get enough protein (at least your body weight in kg in g: if you weigh 70 kg, try to get 70 g protein/day.

This approach to eating emphasizes good fats, high protein content, and getting plenty of good carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables. No processed food or white starches. If you want bread, try Ezekiel sprouted brand; it tastes great and is made of sprouted grains.

Drinks: tea (green, white, and black), purified water, and kombucha (fermented tea).

In addition, I lift heavy 4x a week: 2x/week each of upper and lower body. Each session is about 45 min. Heavy enough lifting (especially lower body) is a cardiovascular workout as well, so I don’t do much cardio, except walking on an incline on a treadmill or cycling. Nothing hard on the joints.

Once you make a few changes and stick to them, you won’t even be able to fathom eating disgusting American packaged food.

Buying these items is affordable, even if you go organic. If there is a Whole Foods market in your city, it’s probably the best place to go. Not all foods need to be bought organic; you can find the toxin load of each fruit and vegetable on the internet pretty easily.

I rarely eat out at restaurants and when I do it is at local restaurants that focus on healthy ingredients. Not eating out and not going out drinking will drastically lower your grocery bill.

Obvious things like taking stairs, walking the dog, etc. help keep you in shape as well. If you follow this approach to eating, you will look and feel at least a decade younger.

MRA May 10, 2012 at 19:41

” I found that healthy food is far more expensive than in Europe, while the junk is much cheaper.”

Is not surprise that the people who maintain a good shape and healthy body tend to be wealthy, it is common to notice that the gym business tend to move toward the wealthy part of cites, and the single-mom household tend to have the fattest children.

Uncle Elmer May 10, 2012 at 20:05

I fed my family dumpster food for five years. We ate like kings!

Would get mountains of goodies out of the “Price Club” dumpster, before it became “Costco” and they hermetically sealed their dumpster operation. Also “Whole Earth Foods” was great and the employees used to hand me their 50-lb sacks of vegetable scraps, which had plenty to eat.

I used to slip out of Encorpera when I knew the “Odwalla” guy was making his rounds. The dumpster would be full of smoothies and yogurt. Interesting the effect on the bowels of eating yogurt in mass quantities.

Then at year end, I would await patiently for them to empty the meat coolers, and I would swoop in and load up. Most of it still frozen solid.

One time a female employee confronted me over the dumpster diving. Later, we dated.

This went on for years. A real obsession. Then someone tole me about “ballroom dance” at the local university….

Life can be a dumpster of plenty if you have the right attitude.

Eric May 10, 2012 at 20:37

Price:
“There is a historical precedent for a leader legalizing gay marriage; it was the infamous Roman Emporer Nero who is best remember for fiddling while Rome burned.”

Even more ominous is the fact that, according to Tacitus, most Romans believed that Nero had the fire started intentionally so that he could build a new Rome over the ruins. Fortunately for the Romans, Nero was overthrown and Vespasian put a stop to such social engineering schemes for a while.

LOL—where’s a good Caesar when we need one?

Eric May 10, 2012 at 20:40

Uncle Elmer:
‘One time a female employee confronted me over my dumpster diving. Later we dated.’

LOL—Where do you suppose most American women look for dates?

jaego May 10, 2012 at 22:20

How bout that Time Magazine Cover? Are you Man enough to drink Breast Milk from a dominant female?

A very strange cover. From the perspective of Eastern Aesthetics, it would be called inappropriate modes: the ostensible subject matter is maternal but the mode is that of a warrior woman. Disturbing and not by chance.

evilwhitemalempire May 10, 2012 at 22:34

it’s clear from a lot of these posts that the whole thinking for yourself thing doesn’t apply to diet

the lefties may not get you to believe that male and female are social constructs but they can sure get you to believe that red meat is bad for you just ’cause animal rights folks don’t want to see poor wittle farm animals butchered

evilwhitemalempire May 10, 2012 at 22:40

**************************

yes, there are good fat and carbohydrate molecules and there are bad ones

the lewis structure for the bad ones look like swastikas

Ode May 11, 2012 at 00:08

Donkey says
Feminism is the reason society is imploding.
The out of wedlock birth rate is 41%.

If I had to pick the single most important reason why the Chinese will eventually superced the USA it is this, In China single motherhood is severely frowned upon and for good reason. In America we have single mothers producing children who will grow up to become the next generation’s welfare queens and criminal thugs. This is not a formula for producing a happy society let alone maintaining the position of world economic superpower.

The financial experts (many with degrees from prestigous universities) in mainstream news media can cleverly cite things like GDP growth, trade deficits, budget deficits and agree the numbers do not look good for the USA but they are all clueless to the root cause of why these numbers are turning sour, basically why we are collapsing. Then again how can they ever hope to understand? They were educated by the feminist controlled education system.

Opus May 11, 2012 at 01:16

@Eric

I am glad you mentioned Vespasian (although you have missed out Otho and Galba in between) and the fact that you have mentioned Vespasian enables me to correct what I addressed to you on the previous thread (there is serendipity for you!) concerning the greatest general the English have had to face: I should have written, ‘when you are up against competition like Napoleon Bonaparte, Irwin Romell, Saladin, The Mahdi, Vespasian and Julius Caesar, your man Washington has to be pretty good’ (or at least a good self-publicist) to be considered the best general the English ever faced, although it must be said that unlike the other, five Vespasian was successful in subduing the English (in the South West of the country).

One should not neccesarily, by the way, take seriously everything that Suetonius and Tacitus say about Nero. He was a popular emperor with the people and the story of fiddling whilst Rome burned is implausible. Equally the Christians jumped on the band-wagon to paint themselves as his victim – now that is complete nonsense I am afraid. As for gay marriage it was something of a private matter for him and him alone. I don’t think therefore it can be said that any country has permitted homo-sexual marriage until the Americans (unless we get there first) do. I stand open to correction thereon.

Perhaps it was Vespasian who first said: ‘I have a vewy gweat fwiend in wome. He has a wife you know. Do you know what she is called?’ ;)

Oddsock May 11, 2012 at 03:26

Opus

“Perhaps it was Vespasian who first said: ‘I have a vewy gweat fwiend in wome. He has a wife you know. Do you know what she is called?’”

Lol

Was she by any chance married to a guy called Biggus Dickus ?

If Eric cant answer I suggest we fwo him to the fwa, vewy woughly!

crella May 11, 2012 at 05:07

“On the other hand some human experiments find no difference between HFCS and standard sugar, which suggests it is the sheer amount of sugar being consumed in Big Gulps & everything else.”

I agree. Sugar is sugar. You see a lot of people using honey because ‘it’s natural’ but, sugar is sugar no matter what the form.

American food is LOADED with sugar. A McD’s shake has 110 grams. That’s a half a cup! Try eating half a cup of sugar with a spoon. I don’t use that much here in Japan to make a cake for 8 people….48 grams in a Costco muffin, 43 in a Coolata….a quarter cup of sugar every time you have a snack or a drink. It adds up!

The above link will take you to a site that shows you in pyramids of sugar cubes, how much is in your favorite food and drinks.

Jay May 11, 2012 at 06:52

It’s refreshing to see an honest and heady editoral here that suggests that we do have things to learn from our Western European bretheren. Yes, American lifestyles are not the healthiest and (yes) we could do better as a culture in some ways.

For me, I notice how new developments have few or no sidewalks – everything seems to be built to prevent any kind of walking anywhere.

Kyo May 11, 2012 at 09:32

I must concur with Meistergedanken and Jay: the US obesity problem begins and ends with automobiles and their domination of society.

This touches on an issue where I cheerfully admit to being a raving bigot: American life favors automobile drivers and discriminates against non-drivers in nearly every possible way, including ways that would never be acceptable against any other minority.

Imagine an employer that offered some benefit worth, say, $100 or more per month, but only to white people (a gym membership at a whites-only gym, say). Inconceivable in these PC times, but most employers outside the biggest cities offer free parking — but only to those who can drive to work. Born with impaired eyesight or epilepsy? Too bad, and if the office moves to a place that’s inaccessible to pedestrians and mass transit, you’ll have to quit.

Walk to ths supermarket? You know how there’s a “handicapped spot” right near the entrance? A noble thing to offer, if customers’ handicaps are physical. Those of us who have to walk or bike everywhere will necessarily walk further than even the person in the furthest-away parking spot. Yet everyone pays the same prices for their goods!

The new supermarket in my old hometown even adds salt in the wounds by offering free personal riding carts — not just to the disabled, but to people so obese that they can’t even manage walking up and down the aisles! Yet they offer no delivery options for someone without a car who might want to buy something that’s heavier and bulkier than they can carry.

The result of all this is that just about everyone who can drive does it. Why live half a mile from work and walk there when every aspect of life presupposes that you’re using a car? You might as well just buy one, join America’s Master Race, and drive it all the time.

Some of the least obese cities include Boulder, Colorado, where healthy people are hiking in the mountains, but also New York City, where everyone takes the train or walks. If you’re getting where you have to go using your own body, believe me, you can basically eat anything you like. But since this kind of life is impossible in most places, I almost can’t blame fat people who would rather keep their cars and push for fat acceptance than to try living a healthy life full of exercise.

Bring back low-cost mass transit and forbid employers to discriminate in favor of drivers. Tax these big-box stores that are inaccessible to non-drivers and who put neighborhood stores out of business. And (sorry, but this’ll be unpopular) raise gasoline taxes and highway tolls to European levels so that people have more of an incentive to walk or cycle to where they need to go. End automobile supremacism and you’ll have a healthy populace again.

Lara May 11, 2012 at 10:52

Kyo,
Excellent comment. I’ve never met a person who didn’t own a car, who was fat.

Lara May 11, 2012 at 10:54

I’d ride my bike more often, but all the traffic on the road makes it difficult.

Lara May 11, 2012 at 10:56

We should completely ban foreign cars.

Kyo May 11, 2012 at 10:59

“I’ve never met a person who didn’t own a car, who was fat.”

Lara, you just summed up all my rambling paragraphs in one sentence. Want to lose 20 pounds? Lose the 2000 pounds of metal that you drive around in all day first!

BB May 11, 2012 at 11:19

“Bring back low-cost mass transit and forbid employers to discriminate in favor of drivers. ”

Umm, this is why mass transit will never by sucessfull in the US.

jake May 11, 2012 at 11:47

I work at a nonprofit healthcare facility, Im in the IT field and most of the women I work with are obese… and having had kids is not an excuse, every day I watch them complain about their weight, and then they take the shuttle we had to hire when our parking lots were worked on, talk about lazy and fat, the first chance they had to add some exercise into the day they failed, I ride my road bike to work, I built it from throwaway parts, I ride or walk maybe 80 miles a month now. I also cut out fast food 10 years ago, fast food for these beasts is an everday event…

Eric May 11, 2012 at 12:49

Opus,
Well, Vespasian did once get sent to the Eastern Front as punishment for falling asleep during one of Nero’s lectures. I don’t remember the name of his wife, but after he became Caesar, another of his reforms was cleaning up some of the female intrigues that were on going on behind the scenes during the Augustan Age.

It’s said that when he was dying, Vespasian complained that, now that he was about to be deified, it would be more work being a god than it was to be an emporer or a general. A man’s work is never done, even after death! LOL.

Eric May 11, 2012 at 12:52

BB,
What we say about public transit in Seattle: ‘Bums and drunks ride free, but everyone else pays double.’

Anybody who doesn’t think that fat people don’t use public transit doesn’t use it themselves. I saw a fat slob get stuck in a bus doorway once. They should make those people pay for two seats.

WRB May 11, 2012 at 14:56

“don’t even get me started on that mushy chemical crap that they call “bread”)”

I disagree (and I grew up in Europe.)
Look at the list of ingredients. Most breads have a long list, but in some cases the list is short – flour, salt, yeast, maybe some vitamins (e.g thiamine , niacin). You are more likely to find good bread in ethnic stores (e.g Polish, Russian, Jewish,) also try Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods.
By the way, Kosher foods will in general have few artificial ingredients, I guess rabbis are against it.

Anonymous age 70 May 11, 2012 at 15:28

@”Avenger May 10, 2012 at 18:04

###

The problem is the medical profession has been preaching low fat so long that everyone is totally confused. When low fat doesn’t work, which is almost always, people try weird things, such as water diets and God only knows what else, so when you tell people the truth: Low carb; moderate to high fat; they assume it’s just another stupid diet that also isn’t going to work.

We had a 17 year old telling us about his diet. I absolutely believe his simple diet works for him, NOW, but it won’t when he’s 50, which is when he really needs an effective diet. I feel extremely offended every time I see a person with Type II diabetes or dies with an infarction. It is totally unnecessary.

I seriously propose a trillion dollar class action lawsuit against the AMA and AOA. When they have to produce evidence to support the Low Fat hoax there will be consternation in the lawyer’s offices when they realize there is no such evidence.

I note you have no clue about cooking history. In the 1950′s my mother made yeast based bread in the oven of a cookstove which burned corn cobs and small pieces of wood. It isn’t that hard. In the “old days” baking bread in the home was part of a woman’s household skills.

@ERIC (Mexico)

>>Even though they eat a lot of sweets, they don’t have near the obesity problem that we have.

While I like Eric’s viewpoints, I must disagree with this particular statement. Obesity is growing very fast in Mexico. Diabetes Type II is up every year. If he lived here a few years ago, it would not have been as bad, so his observation would have been correct, then.

Last November, my best friend in Mexico, a 35 year M.D. told me he had pain in his leg muscles when he walked. I told him he was going to die, a correct statement, but a bit gutsy for a non-doctor. He knew I was right. He had me explain to his wife how the New Atkins diet works, and he is down 15+ pounds, and no more intermittent claudication. He now preaches low carb to his patients, but says it is hard to get them to listen. He admitted last week that the medicos have absolutely no treatment for this problem.

crella May 11, 2012 at 15:49

‘Yeah, there is proof of that. The Atkins Institute ran through tens of thousands of patients and 95% of them saw diabetes Type II and infarctions completely eliminated. Other medical practices emphasizing low carb; high fat diets show exactly the same results. How many million participants do you need?’

There is a doctor about an hour away from me here who has put out a book. He is a diabetes specialist, and he started to wonder why, if starches are converted to sugar, are diabetics (eating Japanese meals) allowed 110g-120g of rice with their meals, and portions of fruit daily? He devised a really really low-carb diet and something like 35% of his patients (so far) have been taken off insulin.

Eric May 11, 2012 at 18:11

Anon@70:
I was in Mexico until 2007. I remember some stories on the news about obesity increasing in Mexico, it might have gotten worse since I was there.

Brigadon May 12, 2012 at 10:34

@Crella-
What’s the doctor’s name, or the name of his book? I am going ultra low carb and have seen incredible results so far, but it’s not enough, and I could use more suggestions on ways to keep healthy vitamins without having to take supplements constantly.

Uncle Elmer May 12, 2012 at 15:24

Maybe because I live in a city neighborhood, but no one who walks in America can be seen without a cell phone to their face “making the deal”. It’s some kind of humiliation to be seen walking.

beta_plus May 13, 2012 at 06:23

Learning to cook for yourself is sadly necessary in the US to maintain a healthy diet.

2 tricks that have helped me immensely:
1. Create a diet where you can cook all of you meals for the week on Sunday and store them in throw away tupperware. Allows you to avoid a lot of processed food. My meals usually consist of boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked vegetable stew such as ratatoulie, and brown rice.

2. Learn to cook beans. They are dirt cheap, extremely easy to cook (usually just throw all the ingredients in a pot and turn it on) and if you don’t fill it up with fat extremely healthy. You can easily add vegetables to them for extra nutritional value.

anexpat May 13, 2012 at 18:41

@Avenger

Sorry, but this is BS. For the same price you have a pizza or a hamburger combo in a fast food joint in the States, you have healthy meal in Europe, in popular inexpensive restaurants. Even in Latin America you have this available (the so-called “comedores”). No need to go to a fancy restaurant to eat healthy food.