WWNEBD?

by Uncle Elmer on February 6, 2012

Post image for WWNEBD?

Author’s note : I wrote this a few months ago but never submitted it as it seemed too self-absorbed. But with the recent “Komen”controversy I saw it as a good chance to draw attention to myself.

So here it is

“What Would Norman E. Brinker Do?”

I was traveling last week on business. My client took me to an “Asian” restaurant. Of course I recognized it as Vietnamese when we went inside, but the lady was Chinese. She said her husband was Vietnamese. I spoke to her in Pimsleur Speak and Understand Vietnamese : “I speak a little Vietnamese, but not very well”. She was not impressed. Then I spoke to her in Pimsleur Speak and Understand Mandarin : “I speak a little Chinese, but not very well”. She merely grunted. Then I identified that she was from Cholon, the Chinese district in Saigon. Still not much reaction. I recalled the time I bragged to my sister-in-saw that I spoke Khmer, they being puzzled why I had traveled to Cambodia before our wedding (to produce Khmer music videos! that’s another story) . So they brought forward a Cambodian woman while we were eating lunch. I spoke to her in Modern Broken Cambodian : “I speak a little Khmer, but not very well”. She smiled politely and left. I thought “I am such a clever chap who speaks many languages.” Afterwards my wife tole me the lady said she did not understand what I was saying. Later that day the electricity went out. We sat there in the darkness. A woman on the radio news was talking. My sister-in-law ast me if I understood. I said “Yes, she said the power had gone out and will be restored in 20 minutes.” They were awed. 20 minutes later the power came back on. I didn’t tell them it was a wild guess, because it always takes 20 minutes for power to be restored.

Back to the restaurant story. I ordered “Sea Cucumber”. The lady said it contained no meat. My client and I argued that it was an invertebrate, and indeed was meat. So I called my viet wife, who said it was a vegetable. I ordered it anyway, having heard somewhere that it stimulates prostatic function.

The restaurant was a hideous “Olde English” theme festooned with paintings of ribald men clutching beer steins and frolicking with pock-marked, cleavage-busting wenches. A gigantic unused salad bar dominated the center of the claustrophobic Elizabethan architecture, which had hints o’ 1970’s love for simulated wood paneling. The lighting was cold and ghastly. I nervously considered if I would catch plague or get kneecapped before my dinner was served. I guessed it was an old “Steak and Ale”. I ast the lady, what was it before they bought it? She said “a Steak and Ale”. My client was impressed with my command of trivia.

I pondered, who the hell gets an idea to create an olde English theme restaurant and sell it to American midwesterners? The “sea cucumber” was too salty, but I ate as much as I could stomach. When we returned to work, I googled ( Steak and Ale ).

It was started by one Norman E. Brinker, who among other things, invented the concept of the serve-yourself salad bar and later took the “Chili’s” chain to success. He also coached many executives in the restaurant industry and was indirectly responsible for such outrages as the “Applebees” chain, but I won’t hold that against him. When he died his business operations possessed assets of  $4 Billion and employed 100,000 people.

His sister-in-law was Susan G. Komen, who died of breast cancer at the age of 39. Norm established the breast fund in her honor, and other charities as well.

My client was working on a tech report. I started relating details from the biography of Norman Brinker. He told me to get back to work, so I pretended to fiddle with the instrumentation while glancing at Norm Brinker information. I pull up ForbesWoman and find a Susan G. Komen essay, profiling of Nancy Brinker and her efforts to take the Komen initiative global. No mention of Norman E. Brinker. Then I get on the official “Susan G. Komen For the Cure” website and look for evidence of Norm amidst the surrounding clutter, but find nothing. I use their search function on “Norman E. Brinker”. Result : your search match any documents. I get back on Forbes Woman and post some stupid-ass comments, then remember that Price has requested full-on essays instead. So I recrafted the Komen comment and turned it into this essay.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. I suspect, but can’t say for certain, that the sea cucumber was responsible for vivid and disturbing erotic dreams throughout the night after I ate it. So I google ( sea cucumber ). It’s an invertebrate related to the starfish family and one of the oldest life forms, with many fascinating features that I will leave to the readers to explore.

AlphA February 6, 2012 at 05:46

…….WTF?

ahamkara February 6, 2012 at 06:15

Seems to me the point was that the Komen charity was started by a guy, and the charity itself has conveniently forgotten that fact as part of its “women are awesome” feminist ethos.

I don’t know the facts, but I think that’s what he is trying to say.

Snark February 6, 2012 at 07:06

“I have no idea what message you were trying to get across. Apart from the “Norman E. Brinker not showing up on the website” part, this article was a waste of time.”

It’s stream-of-consciousness writing. Like Kerouac without the adventures. I enjoyed it. Especially the part where the woman thinks a sea cucumber is a vegetable.

Snark February 6, 2012 at 07:08

On second thought, I shouldn’t have laughed. I should be blaming the patriarchy for giving sea organisms such confusing names, something which was intentionally done to make women humiliate themselves at restaurants (restaurants are also patriarchal institutions).

Rocco February 6, 2012 at 07:48

I suppose we can’t make women stop taking credit for things men have done but we can point out the unfairness of generations of largess that have been extended to women only have no place in our oh so multi-cultural and egalitarian society.

And if no one loves their father, husband, brothers and son’s enough the Fed govt. will have to take a portion of those wages our little ladies earn so they can heap scorn on us and finance policital movements to injure us, then, this money must be taken as tax money for federal funding to equalized breast and prostate cancer research or the amounts donated by “we only like women” groups should be reduced or donated to a general fund to be handed out in a more egalitarian way.

Because, as they are saying, they have more money than they know what to do with. I work in this area and it’s true. They are now funding helpers that check on the care and how well patients are navigating the systems but only for women with breast cancer, no heart disease, lung disease, colon cancer, or definitley not prostate cancer, now labelled the biggest cancer killer in men.

See MRA are all for equality.

BachelorLessons February 6, 2012 at 08:31

I think the part of the article is the significant fact that Norman E. Brinker was overlooked, and no one cares. It would certainly fit well- here’s this super-long post about nothing relevant, but at least in this super-long, irrelevant article, Norman E. Brinker gets more recognition for his part in establishing one of the largest Breast Cancer charities than even his own charity gives him. But as the conclusion of the article turns back to the irrelevant topic, Norman E. Brinker is relegated to an obscure footnote, and so we are forced to look up empty-eyed and confused- along with Feminists and Breast Cancer survivors alike- and say…

Norman who? This has nothing to do with him. I’m talking about all the work women have done to help other women cure Breast Cancer.

Rocco February 6, 2012 at 08:44

OT

They’re really gearing up to start screwing Indian men and they’re directly and quickly implimenting Anglo divorce laws shoving down the throats of Indian men.

This article is about a law their proposing making property you own before marriage community property upon marriage. The rich peope in the US would never allow that, but for poor Indian women, get a guy get a car might be a good deal.

Interestingly the comments are uniformely negative and from men.

Here is one from singapore I imagine:

“Raj (Simgapore)
5 hrs ago (04:11 PM)

There are a hell lot of men who are running like crazy in this rat race only because of wife n kids. Once separated they might decide to live a far more peaceful life with some mundane low Paying job concentrating more on the hobbies they always wanted to pursue but could not due to wife pressure and kids. In short what this law states is for men if u are married what ever be the outcome you are doomed.”

IMGTOW, Indian Men Going Their Own Way

The MRM is an international movement, as it grows we must link up with like minded org’s. We are fighting a global group of greedy feminists.

Aharon February 6, 2012 at 09:04

A white conservative Republican ex-military (Navy) self-made man created companies, innovated new processes, and provided jobs helping people improve their lives. He was generous with his money giving to charities. “Then I get on the official “Susan G. Komen For the Cure” website and look for evidence of Norm amidst the surrounding clutter, but find nothing”. Another one of countless examples of how society, and women in particular, don’t acknowledge how traditional white hetero males have done so much for them. Rather, women seem to have a strange need to deny or rationalize how they really are the ones responsible for most/all the good in civilization.

BTW, when I lived in California, Asian restaurants would often classify dishes such as broccoli with oyster sauce as vegetarian. I noticed that some vegetarian menu sections would list real fish as a vegetarian entrée. I suspect that there might be a connection here between the emotional-thinking of modern womyn rationalizing away and not acknowledging men’s contributions, and how the Asian restaurants define seafood as vegetable yet I’m not sure how to articulate it.

Anonymous Reader February 6, 2012 at 09:22

Uncle Elmer’s stream of consciousness is very good. For those that don’t get the stream of consciousness style, IMO the real point of the article can be summarized rather simply; the empowered, strong, independent wimmenz of the Pink Power foundation (501(c)3, of course) would not have jobs were it not for some nameless man. So once again we see that the fish really do need bicycles, they just don’t want to admit it. In fact, the Pink Power types who claim to be all about equality will go to great lengths to cover up inconvenient facts.

Perhaps there is a parallel to be drawn between the sea cucumber and the wimmenz as well? Certainly some of the latter seem to breath in a fashion similar to the former…

Art Vandelay February 6, 2012 at 09:28

Even worse: A high-level government panel has suggested that all movable and immovable assets acquired by a married couple or a couple living together be classified as joint property which would be divided equitably in the event of separation or desertion. [Emphasis mine]

What’s equitably mean by the way? Can’t be 50:50 can it, if one paid for 70%?

Aharon February 6, 2012 at 09:34

Guys, this comment by a man is classic. It just appeared on a popular gun blog called The Truth About Guns:

“My Probate Court clerk told me that more couples are coming in for (gun) carry licenses than marriage licenses. We get our carry licenses in the same office as marriage licenses”.

meistergedanken February 6, 2012 at 09:48

This reminds me of the scene at the beginning of “Atlas Shrugged”, where the main character (Rearden), the owner of a profitable and innovative steel company, gets hit up by his whiny brother to make a large contribution to a charity that he “works” for. He cuts his brother a check for the requested amount, only to be told by his brother that the donation must be anonymous, because it would “look bad” if such an obviously selfish capitalist pig’s name would be associated with the charity!

Money – or real wealth, anyway – comes from something: effort and risk. There is no getting around that, much as the feminists and progressives try to blind themselves to this inconvenient truth. They desperately NEED the money for their own more noble purposes, of course, and this need justifies them taking it by appeals to guilt or outright confiscation. It doesn’t matter who earned or donated it – they will soon be forgotten, as Elmer’s tale rather circuitously points out.

keyster February 6, 2012 at 09:52

There are no large charitable organizations in existence today that was not started with funding from the estate of a wealthy self-made male entreprenuer, inventor or business man.

What happens is that the man (or men) dies and the family sells the business concern out in the form of stock or a buy-out, and the grieving widow starts a “Foundation” along with her daughters or perhaps daughter-in-laws. This Foundation or “Trust”, will usually benefit leftist causes of some sort, typically focusing on nature preserves and women’s progress such as young girls in poor countries, college scholarships and health research.

The only truly self-made woman that’s created charities and funded them with her own money is Oprah, and those are for poor black girls only.

Men create the wealth, eventually transferred to wives and daughters, which then leads to the seed money needed to grow and support feminist/marxist causes. There is no large feminist cause (or women’s health cause) that was started originally with female money. The Rockefellers, the Fords, Hewletts and Packards, Bill Gates, etc. The men make — the women “redistribute” to other women.

MRA February 6, 2012 at 10:07

It is amazing when you google “Norman E. Brinker” there is nothing of Komen just not the results, if you click different page you get nothing neither.

Rocco February 6, 2012 at 10:11

And these large fortunes pay dividends taxed at 15% unless donated to charities and that’s how some pay even less….14% taxes while I, as a single father paid 45% taxes and recieved no CS.

If you do pay CS you have (Salary – 45%*Salary)- CS, with CS = 33% Salary so you have (S-.45S)- .33S = S-.78S= You get to live on 22% of your salary your ex get’s 33% and the rich live on 74% of theirs.

Then your wife and these rich ladies donate to orgs that make sure you get screwed over.

This is the machine that keeps organized feminism running.

If I were that guy I wouldn’t want my name on the org….better to be known for the buffet bar.

OT

Excellent and entertaining video on “gender differences” and how Northern European social dictators sound more like American creationists than credible social scientists:

btw: The social scientists are saying their’s a missing link….ever heard of that before? And also, they are saying that they have a Theorum it’s a hypothesis they don’t know or ignore any pretense at being anything other than neo-religeous cultists.

meistergedanken February 6, 2012 at 10:11

“The Rockefellers, the Fords, Hewletts and Packards, Bill Gates, etc. The men make — the women “redistribute” to other women.”

To be fair though, the Ford Foundation was started by Henry’s son Edsel, and similarly, the male Rockefeller heirs were pretty liberal and gave a good push to help birth the New World Order. I suspect we will see this again when the elder Murdoch of NewsCorp dies and his pansy son takes over. Lesson: education of your sons is of vital importance!

But at least if the original men give their own money away it is usually better used (hardly surprising). Witness Carnegie’s donations to build thousands of public libraries, for example.

PeterTheGreat February 6, 2012 at 10:18

@Aharon
” Asian restaurants would often classify dishes such as broccoli with oyster sauce as vegetarian. I noticed that some vegetarian menu sections would list real fish as a vegetarian entrée.”

Well, there is some logic to this. For ex: Catholics traditionally do not eat meat on Friday, because of Christ’s admonition that when He would leave his followers would fast. My point here is that fish and sea food do not count as meat.

So, from that perspective fish would, indeed, be a vegetarian entrée.

Aharon February 6, 2012 at 10:35

@PeterTheGreat

Good point. Since the French ruled IndoChina for a number of decades there are a large number of Vietnamese who are Catholic. Incidentally, I believe that about half of Vietnam’s population is of Chinese decent.

Charles Martel February 6, 2012 at 11:05

AlphA

Disagree. Elmer’s essay was entertaining and made two clear points.
1. The Susan G. Komen Foundation has disenfranchised poor old Norm.
2. Women control 65% (70%?, 75%?) of the wealth in the USA because they inherit it, not because they make it by taking risks and working hard. They truly believe they earned it too.

I know an older man whose wealth is well into eight figures. It makes me puke hearing his wife talk about “her” money. Some time ago he was in hospital, quite ill. When I arrived at the hospital, his wife’s first question to me was “what am I going to do, he won’t sign a power of attorney?” Meaning, he wouldn’t give her control over all his money while he was battling a very serious medical condition.

keyster February 6, 2012 at 11:14

“And don’t forget Joan Croc – third wife of McDonald’s Ceo Ray Kroc, who gave $230 million to public radio.”

One exception would be the Walton Foundation (WalMart), that focuses primarily on education reform (privatization) and environmental causes, mostly water quality issues. There deal is fostering “innovation and individual accomplishment”, so they’re decidedly right leaning, including Sam’s daughters.

Art Vandelay February 6, 2012 at 12:09

Reminds me of an episode of “Curb your Enthusiasm”, it’s pretty much condensed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDm27PhS4Ng

joeb February 6, 2012 at 12:50

I think it a feminist thing , The starfish we all know picks the Male with the biggest Rock , The sea cucumber is a form of starfish. the young are brooded by the female . The sea cucumber is one of the earliest forms of life we are some sixty times removed so acting like a sea cucumber is pre – Neanderthal . Take it whatever way you want I suppose .

joeb February 6, 2012 at 13:15

I suppose the feminist would also like The Susan Smith endive salad served with Jacana eggs . If that’s OK with the under sized Male .

crella February 6, 2012 at 17:13

‘For ex: Catholics traditionally do not eat meat on Friday, because of Christ’s admonition that when He would leave his followers would fast. My point here is that fish and sea food do not count as meat.’

It is in line with some forms of Buddhism, as well. Four-legged creatures are not to be eaten on some sects, nothing with legs in others (fish is ok) and no animal protein at all for still others, so can be ‘vegetarian’. The Japanese language has dedicated ‘counters’ for different objects/shapes.

Animals are ‘hiki’ (changed to ‘piki’ depending on what number it’s paired with.) Dogs, cats etc.
Large animals are ‘tou’ (head), cows. moose etc.
Birds are counted as ‘wa’.

Interestingly enough, rabbits are counted by ‘wa’ , the counter for birds. It’s thought that this was a way to dodge the four-legged rule of Buddhism in Japan and fill people’s bellies in the wintertime. Ditto for calling deer ‘mountain whale’.

Boxer February 6, 2012 at 19:35

Dear Art:

What’s equitably mean by the way? Can’t be 50:50 can it, if one paid for 70%?

In the parlance of the divorce industry, “equitable distribution of community property” seems to amount to a 70/30/ split, with the attorneys taking the lions share, and the woman taking her bonus for divorcing the sucker. The woman then gets to reap lifetime alimony on the back of the loving chump who busted his ass to buy the stuff divided, and will bust his ass until death paying exhorbitant amounts to princess, simply for the crime of marrying her.

Remember boys, don’t sign on that fucking dotted line. Do not marry any woman.

Just say no, to marrying that ho.

Regards, Boxer

Migu February 7, 2012 at 02:04

I’m stealing it boxer. I’ll modify it a little so I can pretend it’s mine.

Just say no, don’t marry the ho.

Common Monster February 7, 2012 at 10:24

Finally good to see it in print: Applebee’s is indeed an outrage.

This is what women gave up cooking and got men to stripmall the country for?