Some Extracted Lessons from The Underground History of American Education

by Elusive Wapiti on April 11, 2011

John Taylor Gatto, author of An Underground History of American Education (which I review here), drafted a synopsis of his landmark book for inclusion a larger compendium entitled Everything You Know Is Wrong. (Note: EYKIW is available on Google Books here, my review of EYKIW is here, and Gatto’s synopsis of Underground History contained within EYKIW may be found here).

In this article, Gatto aims to, ironically, “re-educate” Americans on the purpose(s) and methodology of their compulsory public schooling (PS) system. A quote from his article frames his argument the best:

It was only the law of nature as they perceived it, working progressively as capitalism itself did for the ultimate good of all. The real force behind school effort came from true believers of many persuasions, linked together mainly by their belief that family and church were retrograde institutions standing in the way of progress. Far beyond the myriad practical details and economic considerations there existed a kind of grail-quest, an idea capable of catching the imagination of dreamers and firing the blood of zealots.

The entire academic community in the US and abroad had been Darwinized and Galtonized by this time, and to this contingent, school seemed an instrument for managing evolutionary destiny [emphasis mine, EW].

But discuss Gatto does, and the lessons come quickly.† The first one is that the aim of PS system is not to educate, but to “impose on the young the ideal of subordination” to the aims of the political State, as well as produce two kind of workers…”one class to have a liberal education [and] a much larger class…to forgo the privilege of a liberal education and fit themselves to perform specific manual tasks”* fit to labor in the nation’s factories.

Second, the school system teaches that only a certain small elite shall rule, both through structure (the two-tier educational system), and through each student’s personal experience in the social cauldron of the PS.† Howso? By being lumped in with peers a la Lord of the Flies, each student sees how cruel and irresponsible their peers can be, first-hand, in a mass demonstration of human deficiency.† It is not hard to imagine how the PS system, by conditioning the citizenry to believe in their hearts that their peers are cruel and intellectually stunted beings incapable of self-control, trains the populace to accept, even desire, the yoke of heavy government.† This conviction feeds the growth of the State and with that growth liberty retreats.

Third, the PS system bears the indelible mark of the socialist, even fascist, philosophy in vogue at the time of its creation. Consider the mission statement of Rockefeller’s General Education Board in 1906:

In our dreams…people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hands. The present educational conventions [intellectual and character education] fade from our minds, and unhampered by tradition, we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers or men of learning or men of science. we have not to raise up from among them authors, educators, poets, or men of letters. We shall not search for embryo [sic] great artists, painters, musicians, nor lawyers, doctor, preachers, politicians, statesmen, of whom we have amply supply. The task we set before ourselves is very simple…we will organize children..and teach them to do in a perfect way the things their fathers and mothers are doing in an imperfect way.

This mission statement makes it clear that the mission of compulsory public schooling is to mold, to centrally direct, and to indoctrinate. †NOT educate.

Gatto’s fourth lesson is that the PS system utterly fails in its mission to school, providing as evidence† plummeting literacy rates after compulsory public schooling was implemented nationwide. Whereas before they were literate, but after they were not.† So much so, in fact, that just after World War II, the Army could not believe literacy had fallen so much in a generation that they commissioned a study to find out how over half a million recruits had attempted to fake illiteracy. They hadn’t quite yet discovered that yes, their recruits really were that illiterate, and no, they weren’t faking it.

Fifth, the PS trains the student to anesthetize themselves, to alienate themselves from themselves, from their families, religions, and culture. Why? So that they could not adequately resist being led by whichever leader was appointed over them.† Independent-thinking men are potential revolutionaries. Another quote, from a luminary late 19th-century educator William Torrey Harris:

Ninety-nine [students] out of a hundred are automata, careful to walk in prescribed paths, careful to follow the prescribed curriculum. This is not an accident but the result of substantial education, which, scientifically defined, is the subsumption of the individual.† The great purpose of school can be realized better in dark, airless, ugly places…it is to master the physical self, to transcend the beauty of nature.† School should develop the power to withdraw from the external world

The sixth lesson Gatto imparts is the PS system was “expressly created to serve a command economy and a command society, one which the controlling coalition would be drawn from important institutional stakeholders in the future”. One can only speculate as to who this “controlling coalition” will be comprised of. †The PS system was designed to accomplish this command economy / command society task with six functions:

1. adjustive (how subordinates react to authority),
  2. diagnostic (determining the students “proper” role),
  3. sorting (training students to serve in their determined role),
  4. conformity (children shall be produced so that they are all alike. Standardized testing serves this purpose),
  5. genetic hygiene (tagging the unfit so clearly their genes are eliminated from the gene pool…what we men know as the glass cellar**), and†
  6. continuity (training the next generation of educators).

Many may still be asking, even after reading those lessons, “how is such a diatribe against compulsory public schooling relevant to the manosphere?”† The answer, my friends, is simple: members of the manosphere desire freedom, and the public school system is designed to choke off that desire.† Instead, it is designed to create and indoctrinate dim, unquestioning subjects to serve as cogs in the great corporatist machine.† Your freedoms and futures, and that of your sons*** and daughters, depends upon your and their ability to think for your- and themselves, and that ability is in many ways contingent upon sidestepping this indoctrination camp, or rehabilitating others who have escaped with their lives and minds intact.

In the end, it is the ultimate rebellion, the clearest expression of ‘taking the red pill’:† how clearly may we, and those whom we love and have custodial responsibility for, see when our thinking is not clouded and our habits are not molded by the social and mental conditioning acquired in halls of concrete and steel with a program of instruction approved by and implemented by agents of the corporatist State? †If we want a revolution…that is, a change in how things are…our first step is to free our minds and that of our sons and daughters.

I’ll end this column with a quote from, appropriately so, Lenin

Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted.

and Der Fuhrer

When an opponent declares, “I will not come over to your side,” I calmly say, “Your child belongs to us already… What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community.”

* This quote is from the world’s first fascist head of state, Woodrow Wilson. The quote may be found here.

** I expand upon Warren Farrell’s seminal definition of glass cellar to capture also the social condition of men in our society who fall through the cracks. †Consider the homeless person, and ponder why is it one sees so few women homeless, vagrants, and bums?

*** Boys in particular suffer badly in a PS system, if for no other reason than their maladaptation to such a stupefying environment begs disciplinary action and forced medication.

About the author: EW is a well-trained monkey charged with operating heavier-than-air machinery. His interests outside of being an opinionated rabble-rouser are hunting, working out, motorcycling, spending time with his family, and flying. He is a father to three, a husband to one, and is a sometime contributor here at Spearhead. More of his intolerable drivel is available at the blog The Elusive Wapiti.

Uncle Elmer April 11, 2011 at 09:38

Excellent writing.

Again I suggest a “like/dislike” button for the essays themselves, not just the comments.

AfOR April 11, 2011 at 09:39

I was educated in UK “public schools”, which actually means fee paying private schools, and in specific fact in a subsection of the public school system known as boarding schools, where you live in the school 24/7 all term time.

It is the greatest preparation for later induction into either prison or the armed forces going.

It is also the greatest education going…. I knew more about the world, people, history, science etc at 14 than most university graduates know today at 21 and 22.

we do actually already live in an Idiocracy.

Carnivore April 11, 2011 at 09:49

EW,

Great article. Leads right into What If Public Schools Were Abolished?

Jabberwocky April 11, 2011 at 10:23

Bravo. I loathe and despise nothing more than the education prison I served my 18 year sentence in.

Eric April 11, 2011 at 10:32

No wonder U.S. schools are openly resembling prisons more and more everyday.

Elusive Wapiti April 11, 2011 at 10:54

Carnivore,

Thanks for the link. I can only hope what Lew suggests comes to pass.

Keyster April 11, 2011 at 11:23

At the time I was in school, the early 70′s, my father was the local representative for the John Birch Society. Their biggest fear was that communist idealogues were infiltrating the public school systems every where, so they would instruct JBS members to attend school board meetings and ask hard questions about budgets, union influence and curriculum.

Dear Ol’ Dad was a rabble rouser and the local newspaper that covered school board meetings, would often quote or cite his stances. We would look forward to getting the paper the next day to see what kind of trouble he was stirring up.

At about this same time the school district was going through a transition from older traditional faculty to the new young progressive types, fresh out of the 60′s liberal movement on college campuses. There was a great amount of tension in the air between the old and new; their instruction methods, “new” math, social studies, etc.

To say some guys were sentenced to the “glass cellar”, would have been an understatment in my particular case. The teachers were vindictive and I was an easy target. So yeah, not a big fan of our edumoocational system.

As for Dad, our family and most of the town thought he was a bit of loon.
I did too.
I’m not so sure now though.

Una Salus Victus April 11, 2011 at 11:24

At my niece’s elementary school, they have an extra grade that is determined by your behavior. This grade is non-transferable, as it has nothing to do with scholastic ability. It does, however, determine whether or not they will register you as having made the honor roll that semester. Currently, as she has told me, there is a boy in her class who is livid because his lowest grade is a B and he has just 2 of those, but his behavior grade is an “S”, which disqualifies him recognition for his scholastic achievement.

When I first heard of this, I was beset by the clear intention of the school system. They are basically saying that you can be smart, but you cannot be a boy. The breakdown of these ‘behavior’ grades are as follows: E=excellent, G=Good, S=Satisfactory, P=Poor. Anything less than “G” disqualifies potential recognition. There is no guideline, either, for these categories. As they are written, it largely comes down to the opinion of the teacher whether or not the child is behaved.

Rusty April 11, 2011 at 11:24

Gatto also emphasizes that it is not just the State and social and “scientific” busybodies who have created the modern schooling system, but also Big Business.

If you love reading about education and thinking, and the history thereof, read Ritchard Mitchell’s books and newsletters, free online:

IMHO, sending one’s children through the government school system is akin to child abuse; and every day it gets worse. Escape the gulag, homeschool now.

Robert April 11, 2011 at 11:24

“More of his intolerable drivel ”

EW, your knowlege, wisdom and experience(s) ARE FAR FROM INTOLERABLE and they, IMHO, are far from drivel. You have much to teach. CARRY ON!

Elusive Wapiti April 11, 2011 at 11:57

Thanks Robert. I was having a little bit of fun with the “intolerable” and “drivel”…but there are quite a few who do find my scribblings intolerable and , I quote, “sickening”.

anonymous April 11, 2011 at 12:12

EW – Consider the mission statement of Rockefellerís General Education Board in 1906:

In our dreamsÖetc….

EW – “This mission statement makes it clear that the mission of compulsory public schooling is to mold, to centrally direct, and to indoctrinate. NOT educate.”
Some monied elites do not want competition but rather a multi-generational workforce tending to their contrived monopolies. The workforce, us, are the stability to the vagaries of the shifting tides of industry. This is not a Marx/Engels doctrinal putsch. The intended or otherwise consequences of Marxist theory repulses me.

Sure, some monied elites have laid infrastructures that conveniences us all today. Humanity before has never had it so good in such relative abundance.
Yet, one could speculate why elite educationally and politically mandated foundations allow or perpetuate some of the drivel and reduced standards found in the PS system. Here’s one – foster competition among the Plebian class to keep wages low. Or, keep the masses arguing amongst themselves amid world changing economic events barely surfacing above the radar. Or, make use of, or exploit, the geopolitics of the underdeveloped nations without the costly social infrastructures of the Americas.
All speculation, though no proof. However, one thing is certain, world events have never before changed as rapidly as they do today with such little effort. Tweak a little here manipulate a little there and, voila’, frog soup becomes a little warmer.

Public confession time. I write this anonymously for the want of privacy. I am a semi-regular contributor here with a regular shield. I do not write wildly popular statements but have noticed the tolerance of the other readers by not telling me to get lost via downvote. You know I’m on the mrm side but don’t express it all that well sometimes.

I resigned from secondary schooling in mid adolescence. I couldn’t do what was required to achieve passing grades because I didn’t want to do it.
“Why am I doing this?” and “What is the purpose?” of this hogwash.
‘To get a job’ was the answer heard from inhabitants of the lower/ middle middle-class. That wasn’t good enough.
I’m still searching for that one practical magical raison d’etre that hasn’t yet appeared.

Thinking outside the box has landed me in an outlier category. And a not very influential or wealthy one at that. Then along comes the moment I’d been waiting many years for. Valuable areas of concern and topics pertaining to men, within the company of those discussing them. I know many writing here are on the right track.

The talent recognized in those online with the aims of the mrm is vast. Achieving a public recognition for men’s issues and the downfall of feminism is not impossible, but it is necessary. I need not remind anyone of why.

My best advice to the younger men here in the audience: establish yourself in that gut feeling career or paid calling, first. Then become the mrm outlier.
There is plenty of good guidance displayed by many writing in places such as this. And if you get out of line, ex. suggesting something illegal or stupid, someone will boot your ass back in place.

There’s work to be done.

Robert April 11, 2011 at 12:16

EW, They do not understand your experiences or your logical thought process(es). Watch what I post get downvoted. Each member of the MRM plays a key role in dimantling feminism.

Peter-Andrew: Nolan(c) April 11, 2011 at 12:17

OT.
Gents. We will be proclaiming our new courts into existence in Sydney on Friday 15th. If you know men in Australia please pass them the link below. If you are active on forums in Australia? Please pass along the link below.

I’ve done the last of my lawful notices of the current batch today. This one is directly to fathers challenging them to join in. To not fail their children and grand children by refusing to be part of the remedy.

How appropriate to have an EW post to piggyback this one on.

Robert April 11, 2011 at 12:24

Peter-Andrew: Nolan(c) April 11, 2011 at 12:17

I posted the link where all fathers in Australia can read what is said.

Peter-Andrew: Nolan(c) April 11, 2011 at 12:25

Yep..I knew there was something terribly wrong with the schools when I was 6. My mum had taught me to read and write and count before I went to kindergartern. So when I asked for something else to do like READ A BOOK that was ‘too much trouble’ for my FEMALE teacher so I was told to ‘sit down and be quiet’. Um? I am a 5 year old BOY! We don’t do ‘sit down and be quiet’.

In my next year the same thing happened. Not that I ‘knew it all’ but that I did my work so fast that I would finish in maybe 20% of the time of the other kids. So I did what all 6 year olds did. Entertained myself by being class clown. When my parents found this out my dad whipped my arse so hard I couldn’t sit properly for a week. I was like WTF? Am I supposed to just sit here and do nothing? They told me they wanted to teach me stuff and I keep asking to be taught stuff but they won’t do it!?!?!

I spent a lot of time counting bricks outside the principals office. This is early 70s. The schools are there to churn out drones. Smart kids? They are ‘problems’.

Robert April 11, 2011 at 12:27

Peter, You have much to teach. Continue and carry on. Spread it to the corners of the Earth.

Peter-Andrew: Nolan(c) April 11, 2011 at 12:27

Eric April 11, 2011 at 10:32
No wonder U.S. schools are openly resembling prisons more and more everyday.

When I went past my old high school in November 2009? The cricket nets were in decay. The tennis courts were in decay. But there was a six foot high fence with very sharp pieces that the top that no boy could scale safely and it surrounded THE ENTIRE SCHOOL. It must have cost TENS of thousands of dollars.

When I noticed this I was shocked and very disturbed. The only reason it could be there was to normalise high impenetrable fences as ‘the new normal’.

Peter-Andrew: Nolan(c) April 11, 2011 at 12:34

Robert April 11, 2011 at 12:24
I posted the link where all fathers in Australia can read what is said.

Thanks Robert. Now that we have established that the Freemasonry Gangstalking Process is linked into ASIO and we have evidence that ASIO are deliberately covering up a cold blooded murder…and we have evidence that divorced fathers are often targeted by ASIO for unlawful harassment by agents and the cops….We are getting more men interested.

After all…when your GUVMENT is caught suppressing the evidence of a murder by persecuting the man who is bringing that evidence to light? This seems to be what it takes to prick up men’s attention. It has been a frantic two weeks and we have this week to go to see how the guvment reacts to our declaring new lawful courts into existence. Possibly not well.

It is very frustrating men in Australia are such whimps now. One old business acquaintance merely responded to this news ‘take me off your mailing list’. How sad is that? The man has kids too.

Peter-Andrew: Nolan(c) April 11, 2011 at 12:46
Gilgamesh April 11, 2011 at 13:08

and of course the “motorist” is girl. A really ugly girl. How many men do you know who try to text while driving? I’d guess none. Sure they might talk on their cellphones, but they won’t avert their eyes from the road to write a text message.

Alexamenos April 11, 2011 at 15:10

All in all it’s just another brick in the wall.

Seamus the Classicist April 11, 2011 at 16:16

This is pretty much what my column at the examiner is about: the social engineering of the modern educational system at the expense of a real education. Though not touching directly on gender issues, I propose the older method of schooling, as determined by the community, culture, and religion. I also touch on ancient philosophy and legal matters. I have a lot older articles people would enjoy:

If anyone wants to search through my corpus all they have to do is click my name.

No education is no longer education, it is training and indoctrination. It is not about developing the student to the student’s potention is about leveling a field. I can only hope that in the next few years, with all the unemployed college graduates, and educational requirement inflation (I knew one spoiled entitlement princess who had a Bachelor’s in ‘Camp Counsuling’ serious that just makes a four year degree worthless,) that the hoi polloi will see through the sham and pull the plug.

Carnivore April 11, 2011 at 17:32

Homeschooling is a good option. I know four couples who are homeschooling. It keeps the children out of the Robot Programming Institute (i.e. public schools) and also keeps wifey occupied. No time to sit on her butt watching Oprah and the like and gives her a very important task – teaching the next generation. Of course, these are all families where dad wears pants at home and mom is like-minded.

Gentle Wally April 11, 2011 at 19:00

Peter-Andrew: Nolan(c) April 11, 2011 at 12:17

Peter, I’ll be there in person. To assist you with getting the word out I’ve posted the links to the Parramatta Police, the Parramatta Leagues Club and every tabloid journalist I could find. I’m looking forward to meeting you and the boys on Friday.

X Factor April 11, 2011 at 20:22
migu April 12, 2011 at 02:47

The entire book is available for free at lewrockwell.com. search the john Taylor ghatto archives. It was published chapter by chapter last year over the course of a few weeks.

Libor Plus Two April 12, 2011 at 05:05

I was constantly enduring s* test from the “education lackeys” as a self-employed young single father when my boy was in public school. All the while I could feel and knew somehow there was something fundamentally and structurally wrong with public schools. The major one being: It’s filled over the top with women, most of them seething with bitterness. Where are the men that represent 50% of the boy student body? Why isn’t there some kind of affirmative action statewide employment policy to make sure there’s parity gender representation of the student body on at least a district level?

The last straw was sitting in the office with 7 school officials, a rep from ISD administration down to the school counselor, the last week of school, telling me there was a serious matter to discuss and I needed to do what they told me about my 1st grade son:

Cut off his mohawk or he couldn’t come back and would miss the end of the school year party!

Not only did I not send him back – I sent them the bare bones legal notice that I was immediately and moving forward would be homeschooling him. (Thank you, HSDLA). That was four years ago and there’s a physically noticeable difference every time we run into one of “those people”.

He is articulate, well mannered, and well behaved. At 11 he’s doing GED study guide workbooks from Mardel. Because of my background, he’s learned how to draft executive summaries from business plans and is learning to put together PPMs.

It was not long after homeschooling did I learn and read about John Taylor Gatto. Anyone with children, especially boys, in public school should immediately read his books and/or listen to his lectures.

scot April 12, 2011 at 05:59

What distinguishes the fate of American children as to whether they will live in an orderly patriarchy, or will live in matriarchal violence and chaos can be somewhat determined by their schooling.
Private schools in the US, employ around 50% male teachers, while public schools employ around 12% male teachers. The upper white middle class “Gender-raunch” community, who are the main “Mouthpieces” and “constructionists” for breaking patriarchies, Rarely come from the broken matriarchal underclass.
I say to “gender-Raunch”… go break yer own patriarchy you little pigs!!

V10 April 12, 2011 at 07:02

As I recall, Gatto asserts (in another of his essays) that public schooling has grown far beyond the original plan of its elite backers, morphing and expanding so that it snares many middle-class and even some upper-class children, too.

An orderly under-class of trained serfs is all well and good, but you still need people smart enough to manage those plebs on the day to day basis (the minor gentry, as it were).

Lee Raconteur April 12, 2011 at 07:22

The world would still be much as written above, even in the absence of the education system and its values. There is always going to be a top 1% that runs the show – 12,000 years of human history proves this to be the case. Someone has to make stuff, someone has to manage them, and someone needs to make political decisions in power.

Common Monster April 12, 2011 at 07:54

Sounds as though Gatto has evolved somewhat in his thinking… For anyone who’s interested, here’s a twenty y.o. essay of his which I liked from the time I first saw it: The Six-Lesson Schoolteacher.

“I never lie outright, but I’ve come to see that truth and [school]teaching are incompatible. ”

An education is free – it’s schools that cost money.

van Rooinek April 12, 2011 at 11:00

Libor Plus Two “….. there was something fundamentally and structurally wrong with public schools. The major one being: Itís filled over the top with women, most of them seething with bitterness. Where are the men that represent 50% of the boy student body? ….Why isnít there some kind of affirmative action statewide employment policy…”

Most men don’t DARE get jobs as teachers, because phony sexual accusations are so terribly easy to make, and totally life-wrecking even if you’re ultimately exonerated. I’ve been told over and over, ad nauseaum, that I’d make a fantastic teacher but I wouldn’t do it even if they paid me a million dollars a year.

All the affirmative action in the world won’t correct the “imbalance” if no men apply. You’d have to resort to conscription….

“…..The last straw was sitting in the office with 7 school officials…..Cut off his mohawk or he couldnít come back and would miss the end of the school year party!…”

What a bunch of spiteful jerks. Schools are filled with bullies, and the biggest bullies of all are often the “adults” that are in charge. Sometimes I think that the people who get jobs at schools, are disproportionately drawn from the subset of the population that, as children, *enjoyed* school wayyyy too much, and as adults they seek to re-live their glory days by kicking around the good kids all over again, this time with the power of the administration at their disposal.

Homeschool!

Stickman April 12, 2011 at 12:24

Honestly I think the issue is not so much with schools but with parents. Im no teacher as anyone who attempts to read my posts can attest to. I believe that the HUGE amounts of money thrown at school is a waste. The “students” for the most part have no wish to learn. Most parents put zero effort in seeing that their kids get an education. Is this because of single mother parenting… maybe. Allot of parent/s see school today as free daycare. Our current culture In the US has lost its respect and reverence for hard won knowledge. Public school is a social club for kids and some teachers to “hook up”. You cannot teach a person who has no interest in learning, and the ones who do must put up with the noise of the others.
Home school may be a good solution for some. I Know there are great successes, but i have seen FAR to many dismal failures. 8-9 year old children who can barely speak coherently, because mom/dad can “understand” them so never correct them. Its become hip to HS but it takes allot of effort to give a child a well rounded education AND not have them be socially retarded.

The only way to solve the problem is to change the way an education a REAL education is perceived. That will never happen when celebritys are known for sex tapes and even popular books are terribly written (Twilight). As far as I know 100% of the current pro sports stars (in US) went to a 4 year school. Do they use that education, even after the sports limelight is gone? Did the even EARN the degree that they were given? Or was it just a gimme.

No .. knowledge, and the work required to gain it, is not respected. Until it is nothing will change.

Carnivore April 12, 2011 at 17:05

I believe that the HUGE amounts of money thrown at school is a waste.

But that is how ANY government operation is run. When a private business fails, it eventually goes out of business (unless it is large enough to keep politicians in its pockets in which case it will get a bail out). When a government operation does poorly or fails, there’s ALWAYS a cry for more money to be thrown at it.

migu April 13, 2011 at 02:59

Funny. Here is another red pill and it is the least popular article this week.

Come on guys you’ve already swallowed at least one. This one is no different. What is the hang up?

Vortac April 14, 2011 at 09:53

This is an excellent article which should be remembered (or even referred to), every time a feminist says to you: “I find you very uneducated”, because you happen to point out that actually the legal system favours women or some other fact like that.

Women in general seem to be very proud of ‘education’, and many people seem to equate ‘education’ with ‘intelligence’, ‘wisdom’ or ‘deep and wide understanding of the world’.

I have tried to tell people that the word ‘educated’ and ‘uneducated’ are really the same in meaning as ‘brainwashed’ and ‘not-brainwashed-enough’. But of course people are so indoctrinated into worshipping and respecting the western world’s school-systems that they can’t grasp this sort of perspective at all.

It’s good to finally see the truth come out for more people to see. The school system has many purposes, and it has many effects on people, but education and becoming civilized are not among those purposes or effects, as this article so clearly points out.

Put creative, happy, idea-rich, energetic, unique children in from the other end, and you get corporate-worshipping, miserable, brainwashed, dull, unimaginative, tired, misandristic follower-drones out the other.

- Vortac