Be Prepared

Post image for Be Prepared

by Keoni Galt on March 19, 2011

I was once a Boy Scout. I never attained the rank of Eagle, but the time I did spend in the organization has impacted my life and has given me tools and principles that are a part of me to this very day, over 20 years later.

The Boy Scout motto has always been my credo: Be Prepared.

I expanded it into my own personal maxim that I tell people all the time:

Better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it.

When I watched the events that unfolded after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, I realized that the veneer of civilization is an illusion. The breakdown of civil society is but one natural disaster away from occurring.

I was determined to never be one of the starving masses, huddling with fellow survivors in some location like the Superdome, waiting to be fed by a Government bureaucracy.

I began buying a little bit of canned food on every grocery trip.

Every time I buy a case of toilet paper, I take a few rolls and stash them in a closet.

I have cases of bottled water, plenty of extra butane, propane and lantern fuel, portable stoves, as well as an abundant stash of whiskey and plenty of ammunition for all of my firearms.

There’s no point in having supplies if you can’t defend them from someone who is desperate because they did not plan like you did, and they seek to steal or rob it from you.

That being said, I hope every person reading this article takes note of the recent disaster in Japan. Take note of what happens the moment a disaster strikes any urban or suburban community: the first that happens is a stampede of people at the grocery stores to buy up whatever supplies they can get their hands on.

From the appropriately named blog: SHTF Plan – (the Shit Hits The Fan Plan), What Your Grocery Store Will Look Like In An Emergency:

The Guardian reports that panic buying and fear is spreading:

People in the capital, home to 12 million, snapped up radios, torches, candles, fuel containers and sleeping bags, while for the fourth day there was a run on bread, canned goods, instant noodles, bottled water and other foodstuffs at supermarkets.

Retailers said the panic buying was reminiscent of the oil crisis in the 1970s.

The electronics firm Panasonic said it was increasing production of batteries, which were being bought in large quantities as far away as Hiroshima in the south-west.

Fears are rising that if the hoarding frenzy continues it will affect the ability to deliver emergency supplies to the disaster zone. “The situation is hysterical,” said Tomonao Matsuo, a spokesman for the instant noodle maker Nissin Foods. “People feel safer just by buying Cup Noodles.”

Prepare now, because you just never know.

The last place you want to be during a disaster is scrounging for scraps at the grocery store.

A perfect example of the panic buying that ensues depending on the disaster or emergency of the moment is what we are seeing with Potassium Iodide tablets. The essentials will go first, within a matter of hours. If you don’t have what you need before an emergency, don’t plan on getting it after it has happened.

Some people scoff at the idea. They will say it is unfounded paranoia. That it could never happen here. I’ve seen the grocery stores emptied out here in Hawaii on 3 different occasions within the last decade. All three instances here on O’ahu occurred in the face of a threatened disaster, not even an actual one. When there was an earthquake off of the coast of the Big Island that shook the entire island chain back in 2006, the safety features on the O’ahu power plants caused an automatic shutdown, leaving the island without power for almost 24 hours. The grocery stores were emptied in a matter of several hours after the earthquake.

The same thing occurred again when a Chilean earthquake in 2010 threatened Hawaii with a potential tsunami. Once again, the masses bum rushed the grocery stores leaving empty shelves…long before the 4 inch tsunami washed up on hour shores.

In the face of yet another tsunami threat from the Japanese Earthquake last week, it happened yet again.

Where ever you are in this world, there is some sort of natural phenomenon that can and will occur that will interrupt the regular mode of obtaining your daily food and water.

If you’ve got a SHTF Plan of your own, you won’t need to run out to the store and stand in line as the shelves are emptied by the panic of the unprepared in the face of the next catastrophic event.

Learn from history. Disasters, catastrophes, and cataclysms happen.  It’s not a matter of if…but when.

Will you be prepared?

demirogue March 19, 2011 at 08:55

You can have all the rations and supplies but unless you have a means to hold on to or defend them, it doesn’t mean squat. And increasingly enough, the dolts are relying on the government for protection while at the same time handing them their very rights that allows oneself the ability to survive. Katrina is a perfect example where an armed 70ish year old woman was taken down by the “law” enforcement thugs in her own home because she refused to surrender her lawfully owned handgun.

Brendan March 19, 2011 at 09:06

Lol, we get this in Washington DC when there is a snowstorm forecast. What do people do? Why they flood the grocery stores and buy/hoard staples. Go too late and there is no more bread, milk, eggs and so on. It’s very predictable human behavior.

It’s a good post and a good idea — be prepared. I do think that another lesson from what has happened in Japan is that society/culture/(genes?) matter. A large part of NE Japan has been clobbered, and yet we did not see scenes reminiscent of what happened in N.O. after Katrina. The Japanese are different from the denizens of New Orleans in some pretty interesting ways.

Paul Von Schlegel March 19, 2011 at 09:32

I highly recommend the book “Preparedness Now: An Emergency Survival Guide” by Aton Edwards, (ISBN 978-1-934170-09-0) which serves as a primer for everything from drinking water, extra supplies, to even the most ideal housing structures.

Also of note, “The Truth About Self Protection” by Massad Ayoob, and of course the classic U.S. Military Pocket Survival Guide is a must as well.

Rebel March 19, 2011 at 09:53

No food supply lasts long under a tsunami.

There are times when death is the best escape.

And there’s never a short supply of that!…

Opus March 19, 2011 at 10:04

Paradise, Hawaiian Libertarian Style?

or

Thomas Hobbes, State of Nature?

Hot Debate?

Carnivore March 19, 2011 at 10:31

Timely article, HL, and a topic that can’t be repeated often enough. Some suggestions of my own:
1. Food – stock up over time with the things you normally eat or enjoy from the grocery store. I typically eat fresh, so the canned goods I’ve stocked up on aren’t an exact match to my daily meals, but come as close as possible. Pay special attention to caloric density. Pre-packaged survival pails & boxes often come up very short, especially for men who need more calories.

2. Water – store what you can, as you have the room. If you live near a fresh water source (lake, stream) get a water filter.

3. Clothing – for colder climates – plan ahead with clothes, even if only stashed away for an emergency. Because it’s possible to go from a heated house to a heated, attached garage, and then indoor parking some people really skimp on warm clothing. What if there’s no heat for a week in -20 degree weather?

4. Personal hygiene – if nothing else, stock up on toilet paper!

5. Defense – you have at least one firearm and some ammo, right? Considering home security is also a good idea. Much money can be spent in that area, but you can start out small, too. Every little bit helps. After all, what happens if you have to leave your home, even if only for an hour or two.

Aharon March 19, 2011 at 10:53

Good post! Thanks. I think this is an important subject for men to consider.

It is important to also consider the possibility that your home and the local community get heavily hit by a disaster and you are unable to have access to your home where you have stored supplies. A few possibilities: earthquake, hurricane/typhoon, tornado, flood, civil unrest, plague, etc. Don’t laugh at the last one, plague, as the world is long overdue for a big one to hit us.

You might have only minutes (or less) to grab something and flee. Therefore, you might consider a bug-out bag. Note: politically, as an MRA, I have some issues with the overall site linked below as they seem very much into chivalry and white knights. OK, putting that aside, here is the link:

Rebel March 19, 2011 at 11:07

It’s easy to stock up on grains (wheat, barley, beans,etc…) but wather is the biggest problem.

Someone invented dehydrated water yet?

Muk March 19, 2011 at 11:17

I’ve been thinking about stocking up on supplies, but my family is a little big. It would be easy to stock up for myself, but what happens when mom dad sister cousin uncle auntie brother approach for help?

Keyster March 19, 2011 at 11:21

“When all Hell Breaks Loose”
By Cody Lundin

He makes Les Stroud and Bear Gryls look like wimps.

I take a more basics approach. Stocking-up assumes food distribution will be restored shortly. I wouldn’t assume that. Learn to hunt, fish, trap and build fire and make a shelter. Really understand what’s needed to survive and learn it. And the most important aspect above all else is mental fitness, staying busy, keeping your wits about you.

oddsock March 19, 2011 at 11:30

My survival tips. Do not buy the economy Gingernut biscuits from Tesco. Yes they may be cheap but they fall apart within two seconds of dunking them in your tea.

Further; inflatable sheep are much better than live sheep. You dont need feed them and they don’t crap everywhere plus you can put whatever clothes on them you wish. Having said that, you can’t eat your inflatable sheep.

Lyn87 March 19, 2011 at 11:47

^ This. And remember you have to be able to put the bullet where you want it, which means regular practice. A full-size pellet gun will keep you sharp if you can’t hit the range all the time. Shooting is shooting – the same skill set is involved.

Carnivore March 19, 2011 at 12:03

The way you deal with that is to have a family pow-wow before anything happens. Start out by referring to articles & videos about what happened in Japan, Katrina, etc. Talk about prepping. (Don’t say you are doing it; just suggest it as something to start.) That will flush out the relatives who can see the signs and agree it’s a good idea. Those are the ones you discuss it with separately, in more detail, at the next meeting. The others you’ll have to forget. If it’s not many, you might be able to store extra. If most or all your relatives don’t want to bother, they, not you, are out of luck.

Shared resources with relatives can really help and allow preparation of two or more safe houses – in case one has to be abandoned.

Paradoxotaur March 19, 2011 at 12:14

One item to consider is a small solar panel capable of charging a car battery. If the sun is shining, you can charge the car battery to power other electronic devices, and even run 120V AC for short periods if you’ve got an inverter.

A bicycle might be nice to have, too, if you don’t already have one.

I can see a sturdy, water-proof tent (a car camping variety that you can stand up in) being handy in many situations, as well as fun to go camping with.

I was having a discussion recently with a friend about how expensive and destructive horses are and she asked me if there was anything positive I could say about horses. My reply: “You don’t need to keep them refridgerated in the event of a natural disaster”, so I guess I’d add BBQ lighter fluid and matches to the list. I use my vacuum bagging system to vacuum seal 20 strike-anywhere matches to form little flat packs of matches, which are basically in every glove box, tackle box, flotation vest pocket, etc.

Carnivore March 19, 2011 at 12:14

There’s bottled water and also 5 gallon camping containers (One example.) Larger hard plastic containers are available as well as water bags.

Also, don’t forget a hot water tank stores 30 or more gallons. A bathtub can be filled if there’s some warning.

Carnivore March 19, 2011 at 12:20

Another good reason men should prep.

Paradoxotaur March 19, 2011 at 12:20

Oh- almost forgot- I’ve got a small stash of 1 oz silver coins in both American Eagles and Mexican Pesos for critical bartering. A buddy of mine was going to buy a $30k bar of gold and bury it in his garden. I asked him: “And if you need to buy some critical medicine or something, what are you going to do, pay $30k for it?” I figure a 1 oz silver coin should be good for something that costs ~$20-30 today. If I never use them, no big deal, they’re quite nice to look at.

Matt March 19, 2011 at 12:32

Another suggestion: get your amateur radio license and learn how to operate the equipment. Natural (and unnatural) disasters tend to wipe out the existing communications infrastructure. Being able to reestablish communications can save a lot of lives.

DCM March 19, 2011 at 13:02

4. Personal hygiene – if nothing else, stock up on toilet paper!

Cat litter in case the water is out for some time and you have to do it in plastic garbage bags or the like.

Keoni Galt March 19, 2011 at 13:14

It’s easy to stock up on grains (wheat, barley, beans,etc…)

While this is true, since I follow a primal/paleo dietary lifestyle, I’m more concerned with nutritional density…maximum calories packed into the smallest space possible. In that case, it’s canned meat products. Spam, vienna sausage, corned beef, tuna fish, canned chicken etc. While I do have some rice and canned vegetables packed and stored away, the majority of my SHTF storage is canned meats.

You could survive on one can a day if you had to…whereas one can of vegetables or fruit would be nowhere near as sustaining.

As for water, just remember to store a few days worth, but also have the tools to boil more. A protable stove and a large pot.

And Lyn87 – good point. It makes no sense to have a firearm that you never practice with….although if you realistically can’t regularly practice with it, than you probably should have a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot as your weapon of choice – no precision aiming necessary.

TFH March 19, 2011 at 13:30

Hawaii Libertarian :

See here in the prior Spearhead article comments for a bunch of people insisting ‘Game is not useful for people seeking LTRs’ :

You probably have seen this way too many times….

Keoni Galt March 19, 2011 at 13:40

You probably have seen this way too many times….

You can only lead a thirsty horse to water, you cannot make him drink it.

universe March 19, 2011 at 13:41

As men, another thing to remember is how things played out in Haiti, once the outside help and relief came in. Wasn’t it something like – women are only providing for their hungry children but men are greedy pigs who are hoarding only for themselves./blockquote>
– Yes, it appears that men might very likely be considered last for aid when disaster strikes, considering the zeitgeist of the last 40 years in the Americas. (“Here, chew on this bone, you oppressor, while we gorge ourselves even more sillier on the fruits of your labours. Get
back to work. Somebody has to save US”).
And, yes,

Another good reason men should prep.

– And while contemplating the above I’ve questioned myself on who would I rescue or deliver my personal aid to knowing full well how the men and boys have deliberately been shortchanged, sans credibility, by our culture, led by status quo feminism.
Will I be charitable toward those vacuous gender barbarians? Or will I allow them to swirl down to their rightful abyss? We know that these ass-clowns are going to clamour only for themselves and only for their kind once disaster strikes.
“Love your enemies” (Matt.5:44) [Contemporary 'feminism' has declared me, by virtue of my sex, the enemy] will be a most difficult conundrum.

Rebel March 19, 2011 at 13:51

In case of such a disaster, we all would be forced to live a more primitive lifestyle: it could be a good idea to learn to live like the first inhabitants of the continent.

How about living in an Indian tribe? They know how to survive. And they already have a civilization that will outlive ours (possibly)

oddsock March 19, 2011 at 14:06

After reading the comments in this thread (and many others) I have come to the conclusion that I am far from being the only lunatic on this website. Infact, I am feeling a tad crowded at the moment.

Beltain March 19, 2011 at 14:10

The sustainable living practiced by American Indians would require more land and less competition than we would be likely to see anywhere a major disaster could strike in the US. Food storage is your best bet and the canned meats idea Keonie mentioned is top notch. I started out storing a years worth of rice in pails with a shelf life of somewhere close to 10 years and then went the highest calorie and fat content I could for emergency storage.

Disasters aside the coming austerity about to hit the US and other Western countries should be enough to make all of us look to food storage and sustainable living complete with alternate energy solutions and gardens as large as we can maintain. Let’s just hope this austerity will also limit the ability of the alphabet cops to enforce their silly regulations and bogus inspections.

Aharon March 19, 2011 at 14:21

My thoughts are that I will first help those closest to me (family and friends), then help my tribe (men I don’t know), and if anything is left over then I will decide on maybe helping my enemies (western women). That last thought makes me sick.

Be careful how you offer help to your enemies. If you show your enemies that you have some sort of ‘treasure’ they value, your enemies may spread the word what you have stored and they will return in force with the help of those with weapons to take what you have left by force.

BTW, government claims to have the right to take anything of yours in an emergency by force if necessary. We all know the female gender is married to government, and males are disposable soldiers that it is fine to let suffer.

Junny March 19, 2011 at 14:27

Stocking up is possible…if you live in a First world nation.

In a third world nation like mine:

1. Pay is extremely low and prices are so high basic necessities are unaffordable luxuries. Compromise is the only way to live here, even if you’re from the privileged middle class. I’m a med student living with my parents and money is wired to us from my father who works in a Gulf state. The money that comes in ($1,500 per month for 6 people) is immediately spent before the month ends. Thus no money for stocking up.

2. Lack of storage space: Most houses are 300-400 sq. meters, all of which are covered by a few rooms, a small kitchen and two small bathrooms (7x8m). There is no space left for storage. Our house is no exception.

Lyn87 March 19, 2011 at 14:29

A way to increase shelf life is to line the pails with a plastic bag. Put a chunk of dry ice between two paper plates and pour the rice on top of it and close the bag except for a small opening at the top (you can use a straw to hold it open). As the dry ice sublimates it will replace the ambient air between the rice grains with CO2, which removes nearly all oxygen from the pail since cold CO2 is heavier than room-temperature ambient air and will push the O2 out through the straw. The weight of the rice will cause the plates to collapse on each other when the dry ice is all gone. Once the bag stops “poofing up” just pull out the straw and seal the top so it’s air-tight. NOTHING can live in there after that.

Aharon March 19, 2011 at 14:31

Staying online when the Internet goes dark.

Some of you may find the review below interesting. It covers staying online in the event of an Internet crash or shut-down and the steps that you can take now along with other new technologies for creating your own survival network. At the end, I linked it to an even more detailed article that covers the actual referenced technologies.

What would it be like if you lost access to the Internet? Most people in modern societies will lose a vital communication tool. The ‘who and what’ that are responsible for the cut-off are secondary to your problems and pain that will be the result of the loss.

Fortunately, there are steps you can take that can possibly keep you connected to other people for when the net goes down. You can do this by having prepared back-up plans and creating internet redundancy. Much of your success for staying connected will depend on how much you and others prepare and the aggressiveness of the Internet problem itself.

Patrick Miller and David Daw wrote about different backup plans in their article; “Get Internet Access When Your Government Shuts It Down” published by PCWorld. In their article they cover current (and upcoming) technologies available to have basic network connectivity that is independent from land-line and cellular Internet connections.

One of the plans to provide continuing basic network connectivity that Miller and Daw cover include setting up a system using several PCs and an app to turn your normal ad-hoc wi-fi adapter into a multi-hop wi-fi network. Another app working in unison with the previously described setup can provide the ability for members of the network to speak with each other.

Miller and Daw then cover some of the older, yet still potentially practical technologies for use in an Internet crisis. Modems and dial-up Internet is another communication option even if old-fashioned and slow. If 99% of your community is without access and you have it then you are doing fine under the circumstances. Should dial-up Internet numbers cease to work, for whatever reason, there is then the FidoNet worldwide computer network which was used for communications between bulletin board systems (BBS) that was popular in the 1980s. Ham Radios can also be connected to devices to then send text and other messages within your computer network.

There are existing technologies that are being retrofitted and other new technologies that are on the way in response to the shutdown of the Internet overseas and political moves in the United States to create an Internet kill-switch.

If you want to take this to the next level (and the authors mention more technologies than you are reading about here) then I suggest clicking the link below to PCWorld where the original article will name the technologies, give more details, and provide you with links to the technologies for you to learn more about creating your backup plan. It is a great article. Good luck!

Lyn87 March 19, 2011 at 14:38

Right… don’t tell anyone what you have unless they’re part of your plan unless you know the crisis will be short-lived. The veneer of civilization is a lot thinner than most people think, and desperate people do desperate things.

Mark Trueblood March 19, 2011 at 14:42

Off Topic:

Check out this smart and provocative piece critiquing feminism and misandry from a self-described “anarcho-misogynist.”

craig klimek March 19, 2011 at 14:48

I cannot stress enough that you be armed. A handgun in 9mm or .45 acp to ensure you can get ammo. But more importantly get a RIFLE. Something in 5.56mm, if you can afford it get a M4 type or for a less expensive rifle perhaps a mini-14. Again they take the most common ammo and mags available. You know why you should be armed….

Beltain March 19, 2011 at 14:53

Lyn87

Actually I use oxygen and moisture absorbers but I have tried the dried ice method. I just have a hard time finding it for actual sale in my neck of the woods. There used to be a dairy and a grocery store that carried it but they both stopped.

Rebel March 19, 2011 at 14:53

If you’d like to have a pretty good idea of what the aftermath of a major event might be, I would warmly recommend reading this book:

That’s how I became aware of the “survivalists”.

Keoni Galt March 19, 2011 at 15:07

Another thing to remember – while the advice to buy silver coins is good, I’m in no economic shape to save any significant amount of money like that.

However, it is a good idea to have easily bartered goods on hand.

In my own case, I have several bottles of alcohol – rum, vodka and a lot of whiskey.

It’s easily measured and stored, and it can certainly serve for more than just a beverage – medicinal properties, painkiller, etc.

Another good barter item would be cartons of brand name cigarettes…especially if you’re not a smoker yourself.

Welcome to the club…have you donned your tinfoil hat yet?

Ryu March 19, 2011 at 15:10

Good commentary so far.

One thing hasn’t been mentioned so far. We can see that while the Japanese and New Zealanders hoard basic supplies, they do not riot in the fashion of the citizens of Los Angeles or New Orleans.

Remember that culture comes from behavior, which comes from the large scale effect of genetic regulatory networks. If you live near large groups of minorities, be prepared for rioting, arson, roving gangs. The response of millions of people of the same race is predicatable. Do not buy the John Lennon “imagine” fantasy.

Paradoxotaur March 19, 2011 at 15:12

Another book that I think is well worth reading is The Fourth Turning by Strauss and Howe. It basically proposes that American culture/civ. turns over once every seculum (80-100 yrs, i.e., a full human lifespan) following a consistant 4-phase pattern (called turnings). The only time it skipped was after the Civil War, when Lincoln was shot. You can read stuff written hundreds of years ago in the same phase that could have been written recently. It’s rather dry reading up until ~Chap. 10. The book was published about 13 years ago and has been pretty accurate about the last decade IMO. The authors have some pretty good, basic advice about how to prepare for WTSHTF, several of which do not require spending money. They make no predictions about how the US might emerge from the predicted chaos.

@Beltain: “I have tried the dried ice method. I just have a hard time finding it for actual sale”

Have you tried a welding supply outlet? That’s where I get mine. Well, there or at the wholesale ice vendor (bring cash). The welding supply should at least have bottled CO2 for MIG welding.

Rebel March 19, 2011 at 16:17

For those interested in such things, there is a ton of information on this site, by Zerzan

Covers pretty much all aspects

oddsock March 19, 2011 at 16:26

@ Paradoxotaur

The welding supply should at least have bottled CO2 for MIG welding.

Nah. A thing of the past that mate. C02 is only an additive in other shielding gases nowadays. The best bet for getting a small bottle of Co2 is from your local brewery or pub. Thats what they use to pressure the beer barrels to send it to the pumps.

Uncle Elmer March 19, 2011 at 17:37

Rebel March 19, 2011 at 17:52

“Uncle Elmer March 19, 2011 at 17:37
A bicycle-driven generator so you can fire up your laptop to post some comments on The Spearhead.”

Smokenet will replace the internet. You will need a bicycle-driven smoke generator.
And some spray net to hold the smoke signals together.

Uncle Elmer March 19, 2011 at 18:08

Smokenet personal ads? Women’s list of demands in a desirable mate would take too much smokewidth.

OK, but also your dog-eared copy of “How to Date Young Women for Men Over 35″ by R.Don Steele.

And an old-fashion iron to press your gabardine slacks.

Anonymous age 68 March 19, 2011 at 18:23

Two of the most important items were left out.

1. Honey, raw honey. I have somewhere, probably back in Hell, a book by a D.O. on disaster preparation. He says raw honey, that is, not boiled, is a great antibiotic. Not only for external injuries, simply smear it on any open wound. But, for such diseased as cholera. He said, I forget, but a pound or so of raw honey a day helps prevent the extreme diarrhea which is the usual cause of cholera deaths.

He recommends burying the honey in sealed containers in your yard, if you have one. Honey has an unknown life expectancy. They have found honey in ancient pyramids which would still be edible, if it weren’t too valuable for an antiquity. And, there is a good chance anything stored in your house will be useless when your house is swept away.

He said the Russians used honey for wounds, well through the Cold War, because the US would not sell them new antibiotics.

2. bleach, the usual stuff used by women on washing clothes. Start with two or three drops per liter/quart of water, add a few more until a very light bleach smell is detected, and voila’ drinking water. I mentioned this a few days ago on a Mexico forum and some moron said chlorine is a dangerous chemical, that should not be put in water. Sigh. I can’t imagine any town or city that does not add it to the water.

I remember after Katrina, a white woman was shown on TV, whining because the government was not bringing drinking water to her house. Yet, I would be surprised if there were no bottles of bleach floating around in the flood, unless NO people never bleach their clothes. I shouted some unprintable remarks at my TV while they interviewed her.

If there is oil on the water, from the cars the libs wanted us to believe did not exist, because George Bush didn’t plan for the hurricane, move the oil aside, it floats on top, and dip out the water you need.

In a flood, morons are dying of thirst?

I don’t think bleach has a long life expectancy, so I doubt burying it in the yard will work. But, one can store the tablets for purifying water, from Wal-mart.

Oh, another tip. A year or two ago, a family was stuck out in the ocean in a small craft. The mother was a nurse, and she kept them alive, not by drinking salt water, but by enemas of salt water. If the article was not fiction, it was claimed that water in your lower intestinal tract enters your body without the salt, by osmosis. I would sure like to know more about that.

Rusty March 19, 2011 at 18:40

Stockpiling is easier if you set aside a large area for *all* of your food, store only what you regularly eat, and rotate your stock (put the new stuff in the back and pull from the front, or put new on the right and pull from the left).

fmz March 19, 2011 at 20:03

Who has the means to defend has the means to take.

When TSHTF, all the bullshiat goes straight down the shitta.

Lyn87 March 19, 2011 at 20:26

craig klimek March 19, 2011 at 14:48

True. There are two-legged predators and four-legged predators and protein sources. Handgun and rifle calibers and shotgun gauges should be readily available and sufficiently powerful. If you can’t defend what you have – including your stuff and your life – you’re just relying on luck.

Handguns: 9mm Parabellum or .45 ACP, with +P semi-jacketed hollow-points. I’m not a huge fan of the 9mm Parabellum, but ammunition is readily available. Spare magazines are a must for any auto-pistol. If you prefer a revolver get a medium-frame .357 Magnum: it is powerful (for a handgun), ammunition is plentiful, and you can safely substitute .38 Special ammo, which is also plentiful.

Carbines and Rifles: Something in 5.56 mm (a.k.a. .223 Remington) is a must, preferably a semi-automatic. An ACOG tactical gun site is a nice addition – just don’t get anything that needs batteries. You’ll also want a scoped rifle in the .30 caliber range for taking down larger game or engaging targets out to around 800 meters. Either a .308 or 30-06 bolt-action rifle is a reasonable choice, as ammunition is widely available and you can “up-gun” or “down-gun” a lot by using different loads. And for Heaven’s sake don’t buy a cheap sling.

Shotguns: it’s hard to beat a 12-gauge magnum pump-action. Slugs and buckshot will bring down a deer at close range, and various types of birdshot will put meat in the pot as well. You do have to aim though – they’re not magic wands that you just point in the general direction of your target. A 20-gauge or .410 is good for kids over about 10 years old or people who are wussies about recoil.

A .22 long rifle is also a nice addition in either handgun or rifle configuration. They can bring down small game and ammunition is cheap, light, and everywhere,.

Don’t even bother with any kind of automatic weapon. They are ridiculously expensive, the permits are a hassle, and all they do is waste ammunition.

Now go practice.

Troll King March 19, 2011 at 20:45

OT but this article is funny, all the feminine mysticism in the comments…damn.

Anyways.
Wow, I got into reading survivalist stuff months back and even thought about sending welmer a article similiar to this about BOBs(bug out bags) but thought it might make us look too crazy or something.

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks about this stuff. I worked in a grocery store and can tell you that this is correct. Around here we get a snow warning and people go crazy stocking up on supplies.

It is a little offbeat but one site I like to lurk on is the Zombie Survival Wiki:

I know, it is about zombies but they use it as a catch all for disaster prep. For anyone who doesn’t know much about survivalism it has a lot of links and pages on all sors of things; from water and food storage to evacuation plans to types of guns and so on.

I would also suggest youtube. There is one group called the pathfinders and I like their videos a lot. Plus, you can actually watch and listen instead of reading and if you don’t have much gun training(like me) then you can see how various guns are broken down. The pathfinder guys also show how to make tents and fire and identify poinonous animals and insects and trapping and stuff like that. They have one video about putting together a survival kit on the cheap, less than 50 bucks…let me find it:

Well, Here is their channel : http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pathfinder+school&aq=2

I keep seeing ads for a solar generated generator but they don’t list the price. That would probably be handy.

As far as food goes I would stack up on MREs that can be bought from your local gunshop or police shot or maybe gunshows…I know the tactical shop sells them here. The reason I say MREs is because many come with a heat activiation thing(similiar to hothands hand warmers) that heat them and could be used separately for hypothermia treatment but also MREs have something like 3500 calories or basically one days worth of caloric intake in just one packet. This is because soldiers are carrying 100lb of gear and expending much more calories and require more calories than most but in a survival situation having MRE on hand probably takes up less space than cans of soup and if you had to ration and eat one a day or every two days you aren’t going to starve to death.

Some other things to store up on would be gasoline and water and be careful with adding bleach to water because that can fuck you up.

Gasoline, just like food production, is based on supply lines and it goes fast in a emergency too. Also, unless it is treated gasonline only lasts about 18 months and it is usually already six months or more older when you get it at the pump…so make sure to rotate your stock and if you see any crud in the gas make sure to filter it before you put it into your vehicle or it will fuck up your engine.

I would also pick up some coffee filters to be used to filter water before boiling.

Also, a battery operated GPS device and probably some local maps from the gas station would be good to have.

I don’t own any guns yet but I know you can buy bulk ammo from http://www.cheaperthandirt.com and can even get military grade ammo for a AR 15/M16.

Good article.

tweell March 19, 2011 at 21:07

Bleach will go bad in two years in a sealed bottle, faster if at elevated temperature. For emergency water purification, I have picked up some pool shock. You want the calcium hypochlorite type only. With this you can make your own bleach solution, or a pinch of the powder added to a 16 oz (0.5l) bottle, then shaken vigorously will do. Kept away from water, it will not go bad.
I also have an old style child wading pool and a tarp to put over it. That gets setup on my back porch and filled if I believe that there is a chance for losing water in my area.

BeijaFlor March 19, 2011 at 21:21

I find it interesting that much of this advice (other than gun advice) applies clearly to cruising – i.e. ocean travel on a live-aboard sailboat.

A wisely-equipped cruiser has, if not “all the comforts of home,” at least enough comforts and necessities that you can make it your home. Plus equipment like watermakers (reverse-osmosis desalinators) to make sea-water drinkable; single-sideband radios for worldwide communication; solar panels and wind generators, for electricity, and other such to keep you alive, safe and comfy on an ocean passage that can take a month or two, or more. Provisioning for such an ocean passage is similar to the emergency foods you’re stockpiling; the same goes for tools and spare parts/equipment, because if you need it out in the ocean you’d better have brought it, or you’re going to do without.

Of course, you have to be a good sailor to take advantage of this particular kind of “escape system”.

BeijaFlor March 19, 2011 at 21:25

@ Uncle Elmer:

“OK, but also your dog-eared copy of “How to Date Young Women for Men Over 35? by R.Don Steele.”

I looked this up on Amazon and I have to report one “interesting” reaction from the description – when the blurb-writer said “… analysis of her real motivation to step-by-step courting scenarios….”

my first thought on combining “courting scenarios” with anything that has to do with a woman, involved lawyers and a black-robed judge.

Sad, ain’t it? (tee-hee-hee)

Migu March 19, 2011 at 21:54

Batteries. Don’t forget batteries.

Troll King March 19, 2011 at 22:10

Also people, water gos bad too. It seems like it wouldn’t but it does. If you have ever had the emrgency water system go off in your dorm(Like I did when some assholes put a lighter under the sprinkler head) or building then you would know it smells like shit. The reason is that the water just sits in the pipes and without oxygenation it goes bad. So make sure you swap out bottled water every year or so.

ZenCo. March 19, 2011 at 22:12

Funny article considering the Japanese government has/is doing an excellent job handling this catastrophe. They (Japanese government) are doing what they should: Coordinating disaster relief on a massive scale only a federal government could do. But this is Japan.
Here, in the USA, while G.W.Bush was trying to find his manhood with both hands and a flashlight, taxpaying (but not Republican – i.e Black) taxpayers got threatened by Beuford T. Justice-style cops for simply trying to survive during/after Katrina.
Any apologist for G.W. Bush is just another mangina to me. It means you lack simple empathy and brotherhood for your fellow Americans and like following someone else’s orders.
Stupid and paranoid articles like this are gold for our enemies as well. Think ‘Ruby Ridge Fringe-Psycho’ = RightWing Gun Nut, etc. = MRA.
Yeah, that’s smart; let our critics put us in a nice little box.
I actually am an Eagle Scout BTW. Order of the Arrow too.
I only know this: we will not be successful if we don’t allow all men to feel comfortable in this movement. It is/should be super-political and completely inclusive. I sure as hell don’t think about what’s on my voter registration card first when I get railroaded by judges who both parties put there.

Aharon March 19, 2011 at 22:26

Handguns: 9mm Parabellum or .45 ACP, with +P semi-jacketed hollow-points

What about .40 cal?

A Ruger 10/22 with a 50-round drum magazine is also just fun to shoot.

James March 19, 2011 at 22:51

@ Anonymous 68,

You know, I have been following you since you were Anonymous 65.

That is a few years now.

Quite constantly, I see you that you fall back on your “experience” from writing “op-eds” during the 80′s and 90′s, and leading a divorce survivors group.

Anony 65-68, you have been online for at least 3 year or 4 years now, using these SAME arguments to shut down debate… so, good sir, would it NOT be reasonable of the rest of us to reasonably ask to READ all the op-eds you supposedly wrote that you brag of?

I mean, did you destroy all the copies? I doubt it!

Is there some reason why you browbeat us with the amount of articles you wrote in the 1980′s – as a way of preventing us from questioning you – but still at the same time, refuse to publish those same articles you hang over our heads?

If you won’t publish those articles online… might I suggest that using those articles you supposedly published is an inadequate device to bash men over the head with whom you don’t fucking agree with?

You are being ridiculous.

Publish them, or shut the fuck up about them.

You have been bashing men over the head with your “supposed” op’eds from the ’80′s for the ENTIRE FUCKING 90″s and 2000′s!

Put up or shut up, loudmouth.

You are the only oldtimer without a website, who relies on his old – unsubstantiated crap, to justify his bullying behaviour – and you have for several years now – most often relying on your friendship with Zed to back up your assholeness.

Publish your goddamn op-eds that make you untouchable, or shut the fuck up and go home.

I’m just sick of listening to you. This isn’t Lee’s where he stands by you protecting you while you pee.

Avenger March 19, 2011 at 23:27

68-the seawater enema won’t work and in fact will dehydrate you more. The salt in the seawater is much more concentrated than all the various solutes found in body tissues. Through osmosis water in the body will move through the gut wall to reduce the concentration difference. And what if the water is dirty? You’ll kill yourself by using an enema. btw, drugs like dilaudid are sometimes used in enema form and it goes right into your bloodstream and is even more effective than IV.
I read of a case of a man who gave himself a wine enema and died from alcohol poisoning. And those witches during the middle ages would administer drug like belladonna, henbane etc by enema (probably at the end of a broomstick lol)

Avenger March 19, 2011 at 23:56

And be prepared, get one of these

Kyo March 20, 2011 at 00:21

Hawaiian Libertarian, this is a great and timely article. I agree with all of your points, but want to get on the soapbox for a minute to stick up for an under-represented class of people in the US.

If I were to ask, “What’s the most discriminated-against group of people in the USA today?” the answer would surely be “Fathers!”

And during normal times I’d agree with you. But today I want to mention another group: people without automobile privileges.

Usually when we think of “handicaps” we think of things like leg paralysis and crippled limbs. We don’t usually think of people with visual impairments, or epilepsy, or who just lave low reaction times because they’re getting old, as “handicapped”. But they are.

In the USA, seemingly every part of society presupposes that everyone has an automobile and can drive it freely, but these people are forbidden from doing that. If any of you readers work at your town or city halls (and you have my sympathies if that’s so), make “getting food and transportation available to people without cars” a main pillar of your disaster plan. It’s not these people’s fault that American society was re-built in the second half of the 20th century around something that they have no access to.

It goes beyond that. If you want to live in a home with enough space to hold these vast amounts of supplies, you can’t live in the city — but everywhere except big cities is geared toward the automobile. If you have low vision, or are prone to seizures, or have any other condition that makes driving dangerous or impossible, you will have long ago moved to the city (or, if you’re elderly, to a retirement community).

I live in central Tokyo and none of this storage stuff is an option — we have 40 square meters (about 430 square feet) of apartment space. Big rice pallets? Where would we keep them? Bury things in the yard? What yard?

Here in the big city, we can store high-calorie energy bars in a small space, and fill the bathtub with future drinking water, but for the most part, it’s community that counts. I can’t store all that stuff, but I can join the apartment complex governing committee and make sure there are some supplies in the common rooms. I can get to know my neighbors and make sure we help each other out when a disaster strikes — just as we in fact did last Friday. I was happy to hop on my bicycle and bring food back from the supermarket for older folks who had been dependent on the daily delivery truck — in the US, where each person is expected to be their own delivery truck, I’d be the dependent one.

Thankfully, Japan isn’t as automobile-worshipping as the US is. Of the five or six supermarkets within walking distance of me, all but one have no parking, so when it comes to carrying our goods out of the store, everybody’s equal: you carry out what you can fit in your own two hands. Imagine the inequality in the USA: one group of people would be loading up their monster SUVs with many times their own weight in food and supplies, leaving nothing behind for the other group who just wants two armloads of stuff. Think that could go on without any violence?

If you work in local government, make sure that your disaster plans don’t depend on every resident having a car and the privilege to drive it. If you’re a store manager, consider limiting people’s purchases to what they can carry by hand in the event of a disaster. And if you’re just a regular person watching on TV and you see people staying behind and not evacuating, remember that the town probably issued an evacuation order but didn’t provide them with any transportation. The ultimate government “unfunded mandate”.

I think people in Japanese cities did better than Americans would expect because the “automobile gap” wasn’t a factor. We all had to stay home; we all had to buy the same stuff from the same stores; nobody had opportunities to hoard many times what their peers could hoard. The hoarding could have been much, much worse than it was (and is).

OK; off the soapbox now. But I’d be interested to hear what kinds of preparations other big-city, small-apartment, no-car people are making.

Lyn87 March 20, 2011 at 00:53

Aharon March 19, 2011 at 22:26

What about .40 cal?

A Ruger 10/22 with a 50-round drum magazine is also just fun to shoot.

Aharon,

I didn’t mention the .40 S&W because the ammo may be a bit less common than the other two. Ballistically the .40 S&W is superior to the 9mm and the equal of the .45 ACP. But I have a personal thing against the .40, since it was specifically developed for the F.B.I. because they blamed their weapons rather than their marksmanship when a bunch of them got their butts handed to them in 1986 by William Matix and Michael Platt in Miami. But don’t let my bad attitude stop you – the .40 S&W is an excellent caliber. My personal favorite is the .357 Sig (a 158-grain JHP leaving the muzzle at 1350 fps means it shoots like a freaking laser beam), but if TSHTF it may be harder to get ammo for it than the others. The 7.62X25 mm Tokarev is another interesting choice from a ballistic standpoint but there are no decent pistols chambered for it and you have to special order the ammunition. But I digress.

The Ruger 10/22 is great carbine and fun to shoot, but be wary of the very-high capacity magazines until you’ve used yours enough to know it won’t jam on you. The 10-round mags work flawlessly, but I’ve had a 30-rounder lock up on me a few times.

I suppose I should have mentioned the Hi-Point pistol/carbine set for people on a tight gun budget. They come in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. The carbine magazines will even work in the pistol (but not the other way around). They’re inexpensive, reliable, and require almost no maintenance.

DCM March 20, 2011 at 03:00

Anonymous age 68 March 19, 2011 at 18:23

tweell March 19, 2011 at 21:07

Good advice. Having worked for water utilities for nearly 30 years (before I retired) I can tell you that some very small systems simply buy bleach and use it in their portable treatment setups.

Contrary to what people believe chlorine really does kill nearly every pathogen (there are one or two rare exceptions that are hard to kill). Do you want to die of water borne diseases after several days of vomiting and diarrhea or maybe risk some damage 50 years in the future?
Some time back around 1990 there was an epidemic of typhus and cholera in Peru and Bolivia because some environuts convinced the authorities chlorine harmed the population. Hundreds died before the situation could be corrected. I hope the environmentalists were executed, but I doubt it. Pay no attention to them; they are urban luddites who couldn’t survive outside modern technology.
Of course, boiling is the best way to disinfect water but in large quantities the energy expenditure would be enormous.

migu March 20, 2011 at 03:48

.40 is fine stateside. Plenty of police use them so there will be ammo. .308 and. 223 for rifles. Make sure you get one that can handle the NATO variants. 7.62 x 51 and 5.56 x 45. Also remember you can only carry so much ammo. Don’t waste your money on a 1,000 rds. You can’t take with you.

TomJW March 20, 2011 at 05:19

ZenCo. March 19, 2011 at 22:12

Emergency management is led by the local authorities.It is their failurew (Nagin) to even implement their own Emergency Management Plan with at least the 72 hour lead time, even against Bush’s begging to have it implemented 48 hours in advance, that caused so much misery for the inhabitants. Add in the way the Lousianna legislators always diverted money for repair and upgrade of the berms to favorite projects and again you have locals screwing things up. Finally, the hurricane was so devastating that useful infrastructure was taken out for miles inland so that there was no nearby place to stage hurt the relief efforts.

At least you were able to parrot the MSM line that it was all Bush’s fault and add a little shaming language that anyone telling the truth “…is just another mangina…”. Well played.

greyghost March 20, 2011 at 06:34

Good post! Thanks. I think this is an important subject for men to consider.

Ahoron,
This one area that the MRM can have a huge mainstream influence on basic culture. An MRA can join or say participate in the site and through comments and an article submission add the MRA influence. I wouldn’t High jack the site with the you whiteknight and mangina. Maybe a article on the art of manliness in family court. a little game, some MGTOW, etc. Not enough to derail but a slightly less whiteknight approach to solutions to everyday problems. Just as there was no place for a man there will be no place for a whiteknight or mangina to be with a counter influence. Don’t be insulting and radical just be different. (non chivalrous)

Peter-Andrew:Nolan(c) March 20, 2011 at 07:39

Slightly off topic…..but the idea that we should post to really popular videos is not an all bad one… ;-)

Over here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5u6ES7BBo

I put

If she is so ‘equal’ why didn’t SHE organise the date for the ‘big night’?
Oh…that’s right because ‘equality’ only applies where it benefits women.
War dead 98% men
Workplace dead 93%? men
Incarcerated 90% men
Homeless 90% men
Alimony payers 99% men
Child support payers 99% men.

Who would be stupid enough to get married nowadays?

Peter-Andrew:Nolan(c) March 20, 2011 at 07:47

OT..
And here is a company that makes man hating adds….and seems to have gotten so many negative comments that they are approving comments now! LOL!!

Peter-Andrew:Nolan(c) March 20, 2011 at 07:50

ditto..

Ah yes….wonder woman insults her family. Way to go mum!

My? mother recently turned 70. Guess what? She NEVER insulted her family like this. EVER.
peternolan1109

Aharon March 20, 2011 at 07:57

Lyn87 and Migu,
Thank you for your replies regarding firearms and cals.

greyghost,
I agree that posting pro-mrm articles on other sites that appeal to a mostly male audience is a good idea. In the specific case of the AoM site, even a moderate pro-mrm article would probably not be welcomed though I could be wrong. Most of the articles are written by the husband-wife team that run the site. Posting pro-mrm comments might work. I have no idea how much if any censorship goes on with comments. Feel free to go there and comment away.

sharp March 20, 2011 at 08:13

OT:

There’s a movie called Sucker Punch coming out March 25. It’s about 5 girls who escape from a mental asylum and become “kick ass action heroines” on a revenge fantasy, or something. One of them was put there by her “wicked stepfather”.

“I get incredible work as an actor,” actress Jena Malone says. “But no one ever says, ‘When I look at you I see someone who can kill 40 men with heavy artillery.’ Never had I had anyone instill that belief in me. It was incredible.”

This fcked up quote speaks for itself, but could imagine a male actor salivating over the thought of killing 40 women?

The film goes so far as to exclude men entirely from the main cast.

Except when you need cannon fodder.

There are no “boyfriend” roles at all, and most of the male characters are villains,

I’m shocked.

from Babydoll’s abusive stepfather to brothel owner Blue (Oscar Isaac, “Robin Hood”). Scott Glenn plays the Wise M
an, a benevolent father figure who sends the women into battle; he is the film’s only “redemptive” male, according to Snyder.

Director Zack Snyder’s pearls of wisdom:

“The most dangerous place to go, I think, with female sexuality, is when people are conscious of their own sexuality and it becomes a tool,” Snyder says. “The power of it, when they’re aware of it — that’s dangerous. Society is not into that, for whatever reason. I thought we had a sexual revolution and everyone is cool with that. But apparently it’s still a hot-button issue.”

You gotta be kidding me. Women using and abusing their sexuality is constantly encouraged and celebrated by our media.

greyghost March 20, 2011 at 08:16

Aharon
I think an MRM approach would be not the way to go. But comments and articles that deal with life’s problems that use an MRA’s solution without mentioning the MRM at all would be a good way to steer the mind set. Would need to read a couple months worth of articles to get the feel for the site. Would be interesting to try.

mgtow March 20, 2011 at 09:04

See, that’s another reason to GYOW.

When TSHTF, you have significantly lesser worries.

You don’t have extra mouths to feed, or extra lives to protect.

Just get the bare essentials for yourself, and that’s enough.

freebird March 20, 2011 at 09:09

James wrote:
James March 19, 2011 at 22:51

@ Anonymous 68,

You know, I have been following you since you were Anonymous 65.

That is a few years now.

Quite constantly, I see you that you fall back on your “experience” from writing “op-eds” during the 80?s and 90?s, and leading a divorce survivors group.

I mean, did you destroy all the copies? I doubt it!

Is there some reason why you browbeat us with the amount of articles you wrote in the 1980?s – as a way of preventing us from questioning you – but still at the same time, refuse to publish those same articles you hang over our heads?

You are being ridiculous.

Publish them, or shut the fuck up about them.

You have been bashing men over the head with your “supposed” op’eds from the ’80?s for the ENTIRE FUCKING 90?s and 2000?s!

Put up or shut up, loudmouth.

===================================

Whoa.Hold on a minute there bronco billy.

Just because you have no idea where those articles are posted does not mean they do not exist.

For your information I copied those articles to another site you are not aware of just a few days ago.

If you had done research at all you would have found them, and also the authors own website.(the one you claim does not exist)

This old geezer has done more in his time than most of us will ever do,so get off his ass.

Now go find the info,I am not handing it to you.

freebird March 20, 2011 at 09:36

Whew.My apologies folks my BP skyrocketed
there for a moment.

To read the articles first register at happybachelors.proboards.com

The first thread is here:

The next 6 threads are nestled next to it.
Written from 1984 forward, then reposted in 2009,hopefully saved forever
on the internets.

Good work old man,I do hope you are happy and well.

Peter-Andrew:Nolan(c) March 20, 2011 at 10:12

@HL.
These guys just found me this week. You might like to check out their site. They are mailing out interesting items as well.

Peter-Andrew:Nolan(c) March 20, 2011 at 10:22

freebird March 20, 2011 at 09:36
Arseholes like James abound on the internet. Don’t be letting them affect your blood pressure. I have noticed LOTs of young men refuse to read now. If they can’t get it in ‘snippet’ or ‘video’ format they don’t want to know.

That is THEIR problem. When I created my intro post to the forums here?

Some said I didn’t provide enough ‘evidence’ of the existence of the Illuminati. So I posts a whole LOT of evidence. Others then claimed it was ‘too much to read’. Blah, blah, blah. I am the only guy with 4,200+ views on his intro post who is banned from the forum. Hhhhmmmm.

I put that link to that intro post as far and wide as I could to bring men to the spearhead. But a lot of men arriving here? They really can’t be bothered reading or educating themselves. I think any man refusing to read being taught that skill deserves his slavery. Don’t you?

freebird March 20, 2011 at 11:45

I will agree Mr. Nolan,with a quote from the Eagles “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains,never knowing that we hold the keys.”

I have been meaning to go to your site and check out the common law solution,I do believe you are correct in that if enough good -informed- men sat on a jury
things could be turned around.

This is why a 78 yr old man was jailed for 6 months for handing out jury nullification pamphlets on public ground recently.

The law is lawless.

Keoni Galt March 20, 2011 at 12:48

@ ZenCo.Funny article considering the Japanese government has/is doing an excellent job handling this catastrophe.

Now why would this article be funny? Whether the Japanese Gov. is doing an excellent or a poor job, a person without their own supplies is STILL stuck waiting for the Government to rescue them…and even an excellent government response may be hampered by factors out of it’s control and keeping people from getting the supplies they need to survive.

The core tenet of this article is Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

So if you have supplies, but the government gets to you quickly, great.

But if you’re reliant on the Government, and they can’t get to you right away?

Well, you can only survive 3 days or so without water.

Stupid and paranoid articles like this are gold for our enemies as well.

Great Einstein. On one hand you criticize Bush for failing to do enough to help the victims of Katrina, than on the other hand, you call an article like this, in which I advise people to NOT rely on the US Government in case of emergency “stupid and paranoid?” Whatever, moron. I’m sure you’re confident that Obama will help you in the event of any disaster, eh? You’re attitude of scoffing at “Be Prepared” should be enough to strip you of your Eagle and Arrow of Light, you idiot.

You may have achieved the highest rank, but you failed to learn it’s most important lesson. Funny that this second-class, Boy Scouts drop out has to explain the importance of the organization’s motto to a so-called Eagle and Arrow of Light Scout.

@ KYO – In your case of living in a crowded urban environment with little space, I’d still say you should store enough food and water to survive for 7 days until aid could get to you. 7 cans of spam and 7 liters of water at minimum is not that much space. That minimal amount will keep you alive and with enough calories to fuel your minimal energy requirements.

Lyn87 March 20, 2011 at 14:11

I missed this the first time:

ZenCo. March 19, 2011 at 22:12

so I went back to read it when I saw all the comments about it. Good grief man, did you learn nothing from Hurricane Katrina? Judging by what you wrote, not only did you not learn anything, but everything you think you learned is wrong.

I’m no G.W. Bush fan by any stretch of the imagination, but if you think he’s the one who caused the mess in New Orleans you’re simply delusional. You’re entitled to parrot the HuffPo talking points you were told to memorize, but don’t expect people who know anything about federalism to indulge you. He did everything within the limited scope of his power to save those knuckleheads from their own folly (you must have learned something about the “Separation of Powers” in your Eagle Scout / Secret-Squirrel-Order-of-the-Acorn meetings, or whatever you called it).

Sure, there are things governments can do more efficiently than individuals, and everybody here has paid his dues in exchange for the benefit he receives, but government comes unglued a lot more easily than you think, and if you’re not enough of a man to do what needs to be done when TSHTF, then I hope Big Momma Government gives you a big cuddle in a timely manner. In the meantime I’ll leave you with this quote from Samuel Adams, “May your chains rest lightly upon you.”

JohhnyUtah March 20, 2011 at 16:26

Good luck protecting your self/stash when armed government thugs confiscate your gun’s after the disaster like they did after hurricane katrina,

Sebastian March 20, 2011 at 17:12

You don’t need coins of any kind if you have ammo, and I’m not advocating armed robbery – bullets will make great money if we have to start using the fake stuff we currently carry for toilet paper… which you also won’t need a large supply of once you start using clothe that can be washed… You should have more ammo than you can carry – some in your current abode, some in your car, some elsewhere.

Mobility and a plan for rallying your loved ones is important – everyone should have a bug out bag and enough gasoline to get to the rally point. Cars should always be stocked with clothes and water for 3 days of survival. Cell phones might not always be available.

Short term civil disorder due to natural disasters are relatively easy to plan for and much more likely than long term social breakdown. Simply stock up on what you already use, plus canned food, peanut butter, honey, enough water for 5-14 days, bleach and water purifying tablets, meds, emergency medical kits, extra soap, tp, etc…

If you have the ability or are willing to learn how to rig your home for electrical generator back up, then they are a good idea, along with a suffiicient supply of fuel. Modern gasoline doesn’t store well – rotate your supply by filling your car from your stock and resupplying once every 3 months. Diesel generators can be a good option, but you already know that if you have the ability/wherewithal to use one effectively.

If you already have your own guns, favorite calibers, etc, then you don’t need the following advice: No automatic weapons, no semi-autos!

order of priority:

Concealable and in house personal defense: .357/.38spl revolver – Ruger SP101, stainless steel – small enough to conceal, simple, strong. Takes some practice to achieve effectiveness. Shoot .38spl for practice and if you have recoil issues. If you can handle full .357 loads, practice some with them, also. Long guns aren’t so good for in house defense. Don’t buy a light alloy gun to save weight. Load with high expansion hollowpoint .38spl rounds in house. Use .357 hollowpoints for trips outside your dwelling.

Learn to use this before you waste your money on another weapon.
A course on weapons based self defense would be a good way to go.

Multi-function: pump action 12 guage with a short smoothbore barrel (longer smoothbore ‘bird’ barrel optional) – Remington 870 variants, marine magnum version is a good option. For any trips outside your house this is the best possible self defense for someone unwilling to spend hours/month maintaining skills. 00 buckshot for general defense, slugs for use when traveling by car to your ‘safehouse’ and for killing deer/large game at shorter distances.

Learn to use this weapon before you waste your money on another.

Small game/training: .22lr rifle, but not a semi-auto. Semi autos promote ammo wastage, poor shooting, and are unnecessarily complex to maintain. There are many possibilities, so I won’t recommend a specific model. Small game is a much more feasible way to supplement your diet of stored food/survival garden/etc… Unless you already have killed and butchered a large animal yourself you will find learning how to ingest rabbits and squirrels much less taxing and much less dangerous.

Learn to use this weapon before you waste money on another.

Centerfire caliber rifles are silly unless you plan to spend the time and money necessary to become proficient. Most folks for whom these are a worthwhile expense already have one. This is the one case where I would argue for a semi-auto, since proficiency is expensive in time and money, you might as well have something that is a true force multiplier. Keeping it clean and functional isn’t that tough if you are going to the trouble of becoming proficient anyway.

In a true catastrophic long term social breakdown event most of us are going to die. The advice you get here won’t help you if you don’t already have a rural background and a means to continue living. Unless you are a farmer, a doctor, can prescribe and build eye-glasses, or something along those lines, you can kiss your butt goodbye. Preparing for short term disorder situations is very important and feasible – other time and effort is better spent in cultural/political actions that promote long term social order and the rule of law. Apocolyptic zombie fantasies are not productive.

Anonymous March 20, 2011 at 17:43

fourth turning? Just read Spengler

crella March 20, 2011 at 17:54

I keep 6-12 liters of water (we drink it as it’s expiration comes up) and a case of vacuum-packed red bean rice on hand as a bare minimum, two camping lanterns and a foil blanket for each family member, and hand warmers. It all fits in a small space, the foil blankets are about the size of a pocket pack of tissues.

Aharon March 20, 2011 at 20:10

Sebastian,

Thanks. Good comments.

Jack Donovan March 20, 2011 at 20:27

One thing I’ve thought about stocking up on is dry protein powder–though I rarely see it mentioned anywhere. I can use my Health Savings Account at GNC, and I have enough in the account that I’ll never miss a couple hundred bucks worth of powder that, with adequate potable water, could help me meet daily protein requirements for weeks or longer. Most of them are stacked with vitamins and so forth as well. Real food is better of course, but as emergency rations it might be something to think about. I’d rather drink delicious chocolate shakes than eat canned meat. If cost is an issue, the stuff they sell at Wal-Mart (Body Fortress) is good enough and pretty cheap.

crella March 21, 2011 at 01:20

Jack, that’s an excellent idea.

randomjapan March 21, 2011 at 04:36

My supermarket looks nothing like the one in the picture. With the exception of the ramen aisle-which looked like a bunch of locusts swarmed through.
However, I live near Nagoya and not ground zero.
The media is making it worse than it really is in other parts of Japan.
Godzilla has not leveled the country.

Ken March 21, 2011 at 06:23

Military MRE (meals-ready-to-eat) are also excellent choice for survival stock as a case (6) of them can last you five to six days as ONE meal per day is sufficient for sustaining….I’d add in a snack as well with each!
Easy to get at surplus stores or via the mail if you don’t mind $75 a case.

Of all the end-of-social-order survival scenarios and their hunker-down suggestions I still believe in the “BUG OUT” solution because remember your neighbors? (unless you in alone in a cabin somewhere) Your neighbors will come pounding on your door eventually for your food, water, and woman once the Police and/or military is no longer able to respond.

Demonspawn March 21, 2011 at 10:58

The reason is because it doesn’t store well. The shelf-life of said products are usually below 2 years (often less than 1).

Yep. I plan to be on the living side of things.

There is nothing that will prevent the upcoming economic collapse that will befall the USA (ok, I’ll admit that if we repealed the 19th it just might save us, but that’s not going to happen). You have two choices: Expat or Prepare.

If you want to Expat: Um… Err… Sorry guys, I don’t have a good resource. It’s not my plan.

If you want to Prepare: http://www.survivalblog.com I’m a stubborn fool and I plan on being family-sufficient indefinitely. Find land. Get away from other people and from egress routes. Get something worth defending, and then get the means of defending it. Notice I said “family-sufficient” as you will need more than just you to survive post-collapse (you can’t grow the food and guard the property at the same time). Your family can be biologically or belief based.

On the subject of guns: get a semi-auto .308 and get training now while they’re still legal. If you can’t handle a .308, then you can rationalize a 5.56 (but, honestly, why would you protect yourself against people with a gun you wouldn’t use to hunt deer?)

I’ll be honest. Expatting is probably easier and likely safer. I’m just a stubborn old fool ;)

Frank March 21, 2011 at 11:04

This is so true. Every adult man, should have food, water and other supplies to support himself and other household members for a minimum of 90 days. Yes, 90 days, minimum.

Ideally, a family or household should have over a years worth of food stored up to weather any economic, logistic or natural disasters. It’s actually pretty easy to keep an eye out for sales at the grocery for canned good and dry food sales. You can buy bulk rice, beans and oats from the LDS stores online much cheaper than anywhere else.

gender foreigner March 21, 2011 at 15:29

Dear universe:

Hear, hear; big time.

crella March 21, 2011 at 17:23

Even in Kobe, the same thing. All the instant ramen is gone, people are sending it up north. Also, batteries and gas camp-stove type things and the gas canisters are all sold out, even though parcel services won’t ship the stoves. Canned goods are dwindling as well.

In Japan you’re really stuck for space, I can’t store a month’s worth of food, never mind a year’s worth. However we’re built right on top of bedrock, (as we found when we expanded a room last fall), so we don’t rattle a lot, and our pipes probably won’t break in this area, there were no water or gas interruptions in the ’95 quake. Don’t know about the Nankai, how that night affect us though. Along with 2 cases of water (I could squeeze in four probably) and vacuum packed rice I have a lot of ham and similar stuff that doesn’t need cooking, along with stocks of noodles (soba, somen) that keep forever. I think we’d be good for 2 weeks or so.

My neighborhood is having a clothing drive this morning. I wish we could do more, but for now actually getting into the quake zone seems to be next to impossible in the harder hit areas, right now they need food clothes and money and that we can send from here.

crella March 21, 2011 at 17:27

Godzilla has not leveled the country.

The foreign media would make it seem so, though. Not all news outlets, but a good many, have engaged in fear-mongering and exaggeration. DILs mother is an interpreter for tourists from France, all her work has been canceled for the months of April and possibly May, too. A huge art exhibit due to arrive from France, to be held in western Japan was canceled because they ‘don’t want the art works damaged by radiation’…DHs conferences have been postponed in definitely. It’s this kind of reaction that will bring this country to it’s knees, I fear for the coming economic crisis as people avoid Japan for both business and tourism.

Keoni Galt March 21, 2011 at 18:38
James March 21, 2011 at 21:34

@ Freebird,

Nice… A Password Protected Link

Nope, if this guy want’s to throw his “weight” around on free, un-password protected sites – according to his “activism” – then he can put up or shut up.

He throws it around like he is a heavyweight – and yet, he is and EXPAT, living with a new wife in MEXICO, and he is RETIRED. Nothing can harm this guy!

And yet, he throws his ’80′s and ’90′s weight around, unsubstantiated by proof of his acts, and then browbeats other men into his position. He has done this for years now.

He should put up, or shut up. He even claims his wife supports him, so, what the fuck has this guy to lose?

Yet, he attacks others, using his “activism” as his shield, and attacks even more as his “activism” as a form of his expertise… and yet, he refuses to show his real activism or expertise.

This man, while I believe he truly supports Men’s Rights, does so out of credientials HE gave to himself, browbeats others with, and yet refuses to openly display to others.

At least Zed publishes the book of Zed. Angry Harry has his own site. Welmer has this site… and so on… all of them have something tangible to lose for putting their money where their mouth is.

But Anon ?? is supposedly retired, in a different country, with an agreable wife… and yet hides himself behind one facade after another. He has nothing to lose!

Yet he browbeats us daily with his accomplishments, which he is obviously too scared to share publicly.

That is his business, if being a chickenshit defines his life…

But he has no place comment to others, and ADMONISHING THEM, while he is such a chicken turd.

Put up or shut up, Anony 65-68.

Sick of you!

crella March 21, 2011 at 22:39

I think that article represents the conditions in the first few days after the quake; it took a while to get people mobilized, the roads were out, and some of these places are isolated even without natural disasters.

In the past few days many volunteer groups have set up tents and are cooking hot meals twice a day, and are distributing bread and rice balls for breakfast. Truckloads of vegetables, drinks, noodles etc were delivered the beginning of last week. Citizens all over Japan are sending food and clothes in privately. People in isolated areas have been brought by bus to a big stadium in Sendai (I think it was) to live for the time being. Contrary to what the article hints at, the government is not keeping the people captive in their villages (the bit about the road to Tokyo open but unusable).

Those in the shelters had hot baths in 55-gallon drums yesterday, arranged by the Self-Defense forces. Temporary housing is going up at a good pace. For 10 days after such a horrible event, I don’t think that’s bad. It was the worst quake in Japanese recorded history, the fourth largest on earth. 20,000 are presumed dead, perhaps more. It was a cataclysm unlike any I’ve seen before. In the face of this, British media continuing to say that the Japanese should be angry at their government leaves me thinking that they just don’t understand the situation. The tabloids have done a lot to fan the flames of panic in the foreign community in the past week.

Taking the gas out of the tsunami-smashed cars is actually a good idea, seeing as there isn’t gas in many areas. No sense in scrapping the cars with full or half-full tanks of gas…

randomjapan March 22, 2011 at 05:34

Don’t we all.
Seems like the charity sites only want money, or shit on their own terms.
You’d think that able-bodied Japanese Speaking people who could easily go up north and lend a hand would be welcomed- but alas, they are not.

randomjapan March 22, 2011 at 05:37

Here here brother.
I’ve been getting mails and calls from everybody back home.
Although the BBC is not my normal news source, and I detest Fox, I sent some mail to the Brit’s letting them know how not everyone is dead, floating, or glowing in the dark.

crella March 22, 2011 at 06:13

Seems like the charity sites only want money, or shit on their own terms.

True. However, after other quakes (Niigata for one) people just sent stuff willy-nilly, and stuff left over had to be disposed of by those in the quake zone. Now they tend to ask for what they need, and give tasks to different areas. Hyogo-ken has been asked to gather coats, which my neighbors and I did this morning and then brought them to the collection post. It seems more efficient, time will tell. I don’t know about the people issue…..I do have friends who went up just to come back, but that was immediately post-quake. They said that as volunteers also need to sleep , eat and drink they felt it was too early given the lack of supplies. Don’t know about this week.

That made me laugh! It has been awful, the press coverage. Sensational coverage has caused an endless panic loop in much of the foreign community. Lots of people have left just to shut their families up!

crella March 22, 2011 at 17:50

You gotta love it-Badass of the Week

Peter-Andrew: Nolan(c) March 24, 2011 at 09:34

crella March 22, 2011 at 17:50

Yep…us men…we are such useless pieces of shit…we ought to be thrown to the gutter and have all our property stolen from us in divorce. It’s not like any of us ever do anything heroic. We never save any womans life. Any childs life. We don’t work our hearts out for 45 years in jobs we hate just to feed our families. Nope. We are just shit. You are better off without us.

/sarcasm off.

Anonymous March 24, 2011 at 10:56

Crella’s link was to an article praising a guy who seems pretty close to a superhero.

crella March 24, 2011 at 17:14

Is that what you got from a heroic story of a Japanese ordinary guy who donned scuba gear and dove into a frikkin’ tsunami and swam to save his wife and mother? I’m in awe of this guy, he is a hero! This is a pro-male board, I posted it here because I’m sure the estrogen soaked American mass media won’t pick it up in more than passing.

That guy rocks!

crella March 24, 2011 at 17:20

I liked that someone actually posted the story in terms of unabashed admiration for him (despite what you think of the language in the article), it isn’t done all that often.

And, despite your active imagination, I never said that guys who work all their lives to support their families aren’t heroes. We’re bombarded daily with tales of death and destruction. The American media all switched over to Libya, but there isn’t any escape from it for those of us in Japan. The estimated death toll has gone from 10,000 to 20,000 with estimates of as much as 50,000. There’s radiation in Tokyo’s drinking water. There’s radiation in spinach, broccoli and milk from the north. We are now having shortages of bottled water and other things because so many are shipping things to the quake zone. Nothing but bad sad news here lately, the article was a ray of sunshine and hope.

ThirdMonkey March 29, 2011 at 13:37

Not only are booze and cigarrettes suitable for bartering, ammunition is, as well. It would be tough to buy bread with an ounce of gold, but pretty easy to swap for 10 rds of 9mm. Also, use the booze for bartering before the ammo. If your trading partner is armed before he is drunk, you’ve got problems. If he’s drunk, his judgment is compromised and you may get a better deal if you decide to trade with him a couple of hours later.