R/mensrights and the MRM

by Paul Elam on October 20, 2010

By Paul Elam

In this movement, for lack of a better word, there are frequently calls for more organized activism. While there are some laudable organized efforts afoot, I have to admit that I have always been of the opinion that we are doing just fine for the length of time we have been at this, and that there is a lot to be said for individual, leaderless work.

But I feel compelled at the time to break from my own tradition and make a suggestion regarding some collective effort.

Reddit.com has a menís rights area, or r/mensrights if you will, that appears to be growing quite rapidly.† Just a couple of months ago there were 9,000 members and now there are over 14,000.† Articles from AVfM that are posted there do draw a respectable amount of traffic, and have resulted in quite a few new registered users on the site. It is some pretty strong evidence, along with other factors, that interest in menís issues is growing at a pretty brisk pace. But you already knew that.

There are also some problems.† Due to its growing popularity, it has become a magnet for feminist trolls whose sole purpose is to go in and down vote articles so they are less likely to be read. A good example of this is my latest article on Rape Culture. At this point it has a near even distribution of votes, 29 up and 22 down. †My guess is that the down votes arenít coming from too many MRAís.

While the site continues to provide a valuable venue for MRAís, it would be a lot better if we were able to collectively negate the effect of the feminist trolls who are attempting to block our effective use of a resource that reaches a lot of people that would not otherwise know about the MRM.

In my admittedly less than humble opinion, it is time for r/mensrights to be dominated by MRAís, and I actually believe we need to do it.

I have spoken on the phone with Bill Price over at the-spearhead.com, and he willing to work together toward a solution.

You may have noticed that in a couple of recent articles I have included a link at the end to reddit with a suggestion to vote on the article over there.† Early in the game, the feminists were all over those posts with down votes, but we still made it back into the positive as time went on.

What I am proposing here, both to readers of this site and The Spearhead that they take just a moment to click through that link and vote on the article.† I am firmly convinced that this will ultimately serve to discourage trolls at r/mensrights and more importantly drawn new readers into MRM literature.† A nice feature is that you donít have to back-browse to return here.† There is a link back to the article on site immediately to the right of where you vote, as you can see here:

In the end, I donít think it matters a great deal if we succeed at this or not.† This movement is growing regardless.† But the boost, both in traffic and moral, certainly canít hurt. And the way I have it figured, 20-25 new voters on these articles is all it would take to make that particular men’s rights forum exactly what it ought to be- user unfriendly for feminist trolls.

Vote on this article at Reddit†HERE.

SingleDad October 20, 2010 at 09:56

Thanks for the heads up.

I have added it to my regular round of MRA sites and will vote on every article every day, I already to this with the articles linked here from the main steam media, I will certiainly do it with these articles.

It is very interesting that, in my opinion, our point of view is being taken up by many men that comment in main stream media articles from many countries, especially England.

WGMOW October 20, 2010 at 10:26

Done. I will also pay more attention to Reddit and up-vote articles supporting the MRA position.

Robert October 20, 2010 at 10:54

I voted the article up. Well done Mr. Elam.

Richard October 20, 2010 at 11:14

I have never visited REDDIT before.

It was confusing.

CLICK the UP ARROW next to the name of the article to VOTE UP.

You can also vote up and down on comments by clicking on the UP and DOWN arrows next to the comment…

I re-read the article above – I don’t think it mentions this.

Yes, I am not terribly bright, hence the nic “ScareCrow”…

I voted them up.

J. Durden October 20, 2010 at 12:54

I have been avoiding Reddit, but FINE, Paul Elam. You’ve made your point. I will submit to the machine and do my part.

Traveller October 20, 2010 at 13:15

Done, but what a ugly graphical interface, that site.

Paul Elam October 20, 2010 at 13:21

And it seems to be working. I would have expected this article to get buried in down voting, but we are now 10 votes up. Thanks, gents.

SingleDad October 20, 2010 at 14:08

So, Paul, an oranged colored up arrow means I already voted up, if I click it again, I negate my vote and it becomes light grey correct?

It is very unappealing site layout.

Richard October 20, 2010 at 14:16

@SingleDad and J. Durden:

Agreed – REDDIT – its just confusing.

And here I was starting to feel like a stupid “un-hip” old-fart.

Can they make the font any smaller on that site?

I can actually read the letters. They need to make the font so small that each letter is just a single pixel.

Traveller October 20, 2010 at 15:31

Richard October 20, 2010 at 14:16

Any browser has a zoom capability.

For example, Firefox has the key combination Control and “+” and Control and “-” to increase or decrease the magnification. Control and “0″ (the number) reverts to the default.

SingleDad October 20, 2010 at 16:50

The only thing funnier than that site layout and function is that I got two down ticks here for saying is is unappealing…..lol

But I take this seriously. People read stuff like reddit so, I reiterate my request for clarification as to how the site works because, as other readers above indicate, it is not clear.

Like when I go back there all the up and down tick buttons are grey again so did I vote or not.

In conclusion: Thanks Price for making this site so easy to use. I had no idea it was so hard to do…kudos.

crella October 20, 2010 at 17:02

Firefox has the key combination Control and ď+Ē and Control and ď-Ē to increase or decrease the magnification.

Thank you, Traveller, I hadn’t noticed that, good news for these aging eyes.

Stealthmodeon October 20, 2010 at 17:30

Just a allied voting target – get on over to Urban dictionary and vote up the good definitions of “MRA”, Mens Rights”, “Fathers Rights”, “Masculinism”, “Anti-Feminist”…

And go to the feminist definitions and vote up the truthful definitions.

J. Durden October 20, 2010 at 18:27

Singledad:

Step one – ensure you are logged in.

Step two – click and frontpage this (it will now be available in the bar at the top of the page, towards the left end)

Step three – Read stuff, vote it up (arrow stays orange) or down (arrow stays blue) to taste

Step four – up vote everything I (DrDeezee) say because I’m awesome

J. Durden October 20, 2010 at 18:27

Step zero – register.

SingleDad October 21, 2010 at 09:19

Thanks guys, got it.

Troll King October 21, 2010 at 15:08

Beware guys there are a lot of feminist trolls over there and they are constantly trying to co-opt or appropriate r/mensrights.