British Survey Reveals Worker Preference for Male Bosses

by W.F. Price on August 11, 2010

Over two-thirds of Britons prefer male bosses, says a survey released by British recruitment website UKJobs.net. 3,000 employees participated in the survey, and a significant majority of both men and women indicated that they preferred male supervisors.

The issue was not that women are too meek or not intelligent enough, but rather that they backstab, slander and harangue employees. Some of the complaints revolved around hormonal issues, with most workers saying it was obvious when it was that time of the month, and others said female bosses had a hard time keeping their work and personal lives separate.

Almost half of employees said they trusted male bossses to be open and honest, whereas females often had a “hidden agenda” that created a climate of uncertainty and fear.

Some of the positive attributes of male bosses, according to the survey, include straight talking, less interested in office politics, and less likely to bitch about others.

HT Snark

trent13 August 11, 2010 at 13:21

Surprise, surprise.

doughboy August 11, 2010 at 13:25

Sorry guys. This is off the subject, but I just logged on and saw this article staring me in the face on my AOL homepage. Seems Bill O’Reilly called out Jennifer Aniston for saying that fathers aren’t necessary and that a woman can do just as good a job raising a child on her own. Please drop in and leave a few comments. The link is:

Diabolos August 11, 2010 at 13:52

Working for a female boss is insanity personified, let me tell you.

On another note, you guys pick these two up?

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/06/christina_muniz_arguably_the_w.php Here’s one about a woman who abandoned her sons to run off with a boyfriend to become a stripper.

http://www.dreamindemon.com/2010/06/29/ranay-collins-another-alleged-booby-biting-momma/ And here’s one about a mother who beat and bit her 16 year old daughter, claiming the daughter owed her rent.

Hillarous.

Anonymous August 11, 2010 at 14:13

Brother, I can relate. They might have added naked cliquery, aggressive contempt for male subordinates and eternal grudge bearing.

TFH August 11, 2010 at 14:21

And the mystery of why Anglosphere firms keep outsourcing jobs to Asia, despite a relatively minor delta in base salaries between the regions, continues.

I love it.

TFH August 11, 2010 at 14:22

Over two-thirds of Britons prefer male bosses,

So even some WOMEN prefer male bosses….

Nightrunner August 11, 2010 at 14:27

So even some WOMEN prefer male bosses….

Yes, 63% of women, according to the article.

Coastal August 11, 2010 at 14:29

This is exactly why I don’t bother with female clients.

Abandon logic and reason, it’s all about whether or not the guy giving the presentation d’jour gives her da tingles.

Uncle Elmer August 11, 2010 at 14:38

Not to mention the insufferable come-ons, either expressed or implied, for sexual services.

Rebel August 11, 2010 at 14:55

I can relate with my personal experience. I used to sell computer systems to a large variety of companies.
The System Manager was mostly male (thanks God!) but each time I had to deal with a female, things moved very slowly if at all.

I discovered that women in that field felt very insecure and would simply not make decisions. Not even the decision to say no.

Although I tried to find a way to deal with the “fairer” sex on a business level, I was never able to figure out a way to “make the sale” when dealing with a woman.

The only times I was able to win the deal was when I went over her head and talked to her male boss: he would then usually decide on the spot.

Paradoxotaur August 11, 2010 at 15:04

@Coastal: “For every woman under 45, the business world is just a chance to relive the school disco experience, and relive their glory days of shooting down beta geeks.”

Coastal just explained the inner workings of many HR departments, but the age group should be expanded as there is no top-end age for women wishing to relive their glory days of shooting down men they deem lesser.

Robertt August 11, 2010 at 15:38

Having worked under both a number of male and female bosses over many years I can definitely say that male bosses were more relaxed and enjoyable to work with, being much more able to delegate and then let go, or deal with rapidly changing issues on the fly in an improvisatory manner, much more so then the female bosses I have worked with…who tended to be high intensity micro managers prone to losing their cool when the going got tough and with the odd embarrassing meltdown thrown in.

Jay Hammers August 11, 2010 at 15:45

I actually have a pretty decent female boss right now – well, not my direct boss, but still above me, horizontally.

She’s actually really level-headed and a good leader. But she is probably the exception. And it might be that in my company, where engineers usually don’t succeed unless they really are good at their jobs, actually they aren’t even hired in the first place if they aren’t really skilled, there’s really no opportunity for the usual bitches to gain much power.

Of course, in corporate, there are PLENTY of women who are just there as eye candy and don’t really contribute anything to the company. Dumb as bricks, too.

My last female boss, a few years ago, was a bit of a bitch, way too much of a micromanager, but I handled her well enough :) .

Jay Hammers August 11, 2010 at 15:47

^ She’s horizontal to my boss, I mean.

TFH August 11, 2010 at 15:56

Jay,

A female boss who is a married mother of boys, who are at least 15 years old, can be a good boss.

But all those qualifiers are a must. Married to thebiological father (rather than on chillimony), have at least one son (rather than daughters only), and the boys have to be old enough to start facing the dating battlefield.

The less a woman boss fits the above description, the less likely she is to be good to work for.

TFH August 11, 2010 at 15:59

Rebel,

Game can help you close these deals. Game is about much more than sex. It is about navigating the female mind in ALL situations. Sex is merely the most obvious and popular applicaton of these concepts.

Game could have increased your income in that setting.

It is time for you to get with the program regarding Game.

TDOM August 11, 2010 at 16:12

I’ve had some good female bosses and some bad ones. For the most part, I’ll agree with the reasons given as to why the bad ones were bad. I’ve had some good male bosses, and some bad ones. With only one xception, the bad male bosses were bad because they were incompetent. The lone exception was every bit as vindictive as the bad female bosses. If I had to choose, I would certainly prefer a male boss. They are more likely to judge you on your abilities and the quality of your work and they will demonstrate a good deal more consistency, but they aren’t necessarily more competent.

TDOM

Anonymous August 11, 2010 at 16:36

Actually very few women manage to hold things together. While the majority are your worst nightmare.

A few good female bosses are rare. They have the capacity to lead. But lack a few things. of which they need an anchor.

as TFH said

But all those qualifiers are a must. Married to the biological father (rather than on chillimony), have at least one son (rather than daughters only), and the boys have to be old enough to start facing the dating battlefield. –

***

Few women are capable, fewer can hold things together. But I suspect that women, who are good bosses would become rarer.

managing the household is part of the woman’s description. Guiding the household is another part. I surmised that for a woman, managing a business is somewhat the same thing.

The old saying goes, its better to tackle the problem at hand. And worry about another when it arises.

Then again, those kind of women are extremely rare. You got bozos and douchebags with breasts running around.

Reality2010 August 11, 2010 at 16:55

They for got the biggest one of all… ACCOUNTABILITY! Women are completely unaccountable for anything EVER and this doesn’t stop at work. If a female boss makes a mistake and you try to point it out, you might as well clean out your desk because she is then going to find anyway she can to fire you out of ‘revenge.’ It’s also why they make horrible managers for the company anyway. Lack of accountability is why women never grow as people, develop character and are all around just shitty people.

That is the warped, psychotic thinking of females and the same goes for all other female employees. The absolutely incredible manwomanmyth (also in Britain I might add) goes into further detail as to why women are so horribly repellent to employers. Here:

Lovekraft August 11, 2010 at 17:13

Another result of Affirmative Action, the brush that paints any woman supervisor in the same brush – forced through without regard to merit in order to satisfy socialist ideals.

This creates disrespect in subordinates and most likely their colleagues.

redshirt August 11, 2010 at 18:11

Having worked in Fortune 500 companies in a managerial capacity, I have had both male and female bosses. I can outline exactly the difference between a male boss and a female boss.

Let’s take a scenario where your boss has asked you to do something. A few days later, you get called into your boss’ office and this is what transpires:

Male Boss: Report.

You: Well, you asked me to do Project XYZ, I ran into some issues but managed to sort them out. The project has been completed on time and on budget.

Male Boss: So you ran into some issues, but you dealt with it?

You: Yes, the issues have been dealt with and will not affect future projects.

Male Boss: And the project was complete on time and on budget?

You: Yes.

Male Boss: Good job!

Now, let’s run the same scenario, with a female boss…

Female Boss: Report.

Female Boss: WHAT??? Issues? How could there have been issues? Why were there issues? This is not acceptable!! Why was I not informed?? Did anyone else find out about this? This doesn’t make us look good! Don’t you know that perception is reality? Why was it not perfect? blah blah blah blah blah (more freaking out and sky is falling) We need to manage perception and I want a full detailed report of every action taken, and set up a meeting with our group so you can walk us all through it… (blah blah blah more freaking out and sky is still falling)

Anti Idiocy August 11, 2010 at 18:25

“Some of the complaints revolved around hormonal issues, with most workers saying it was obvious when it was that time of the month”

This is what scares me about the idea of having a female president who hasn’t gone through menopause. And speaking of menopause… If you think “that time of month” is bad, we’ve really got to wonder about having a president who is GOING THROUGH menopause!

Holy Christ!

Anonymous August 11, 2010 at 18:35

I am afraid I must adamantly register a major difference between the opinions of those surveyed versus the sentiments I have for my own female boss.

My own female boss is definitely NOT intelligent enough!

DirkJohanson August 11, 2010 at 18:42

@Anti Idiocy

True. Impending menopause is one of the major reasons not to have allowed Palin to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. That, and the fact that she’s retarded.

Speaking of the last election, for those of us who have have had any misgivings about the fact that McCain didn’t win, no need to have those misgivings anymore. Its official: McCain is now irrefutable senile. Today he announced Snooki “might be too good looking to go to jail.”

TFH August 11, 2010 at 18:44

Well…… let’s not get carried away.

Anonymous August 11, 2010 at 19:39

@TFH
“Well…… let’s not get carried away.

“While the UK, Germany, etc. have had female heads of state of varying quality, it was not the end of the world by any means.”

Do you know for sure that they had not already gone through menopause?

Anti Idiocy August 11, 2010 at 19:40

“Well…… let’s not get carried away.

Do you know for certain that they had not already gone through menopause?

Anti Idiocy August 11, 2010 at 19:47

Actually, the relevant question is: “Do you know that those women were going through menopause while in office?”

That’s the frightening prospect.

ZenCo. August 11, 2010 at 20:40

I’ve only had the misfortune of having a female boss once.
Once was enough. Work for yourself. Find what you’re good at and pimp it.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Keyster August 11, 2010 at 21:02

@redshirt
Sadly, I’ve had male bosses exctly like that.
I had a lesbian boss that was very good.
All the women hated her and even some of the guys.

Mostly I’ve worked for very inept managers, who had no idea how to manage people and really didn’t want to in the first place. This is in the high tech marketing arena.

Bad managers are the bane of the modern work system today. They undermine and demoralize their staff, while doing nothing but preserving their own hide first and foremost. They get promoted into these positions because they were good at kissing ass, lucky or decent individual contributors. They’re then thrust into management where haven’t a clue.
Managing people is VERY hard work.

Robertt August 11, 2010 at 21:58

hmmm…I had a lesbian boss when I was a dept. head at one organization I worked at. I found she would not respond to any of my requests at all and frankly I was shocked at how easily she said no to me on seemingly every single issue of need for my department and its members….until I started to send down my very attractive twenty something ethnic female colleague to relay all of our important requests…and after that things got done rather quickly and our departmental needs were taken care of.

hell_is_like_newark August 12, 2010 at 11:34

The co-workers I had who have stated they absolutely refuse to work for women were almost always women (in positions related to clerical or secretarial work).

Van Hones August 12, 2010 at 13:34

I’m the boss. I paid the cost to be the boss. There is only one job I’d assign to a woman, and it involves four censored letters followed by these three letters… j…o…b.

Snark August 15, 2010 at 07:31

Update:

Yet another bit of woman bashing took place last week. According to a survey of 3,000 employees, women bosses are incapable of leaving their personal lives at home and are eager to bitch about colleagues behind their backs.

Yet men, on the other hand, according to research commissioned by the recruitment firm UKJobs.net, never bring their personal lives to work (I can confirm this. I sat opposite a man for three years and only realised his wife had just given birth to their fourth child when one day he stood up, then keeled over, exactly like a felled tree).

Most tellingly, the survey found men in the workplace are simply not as moody.

I would love to get on my Sapphic high horse and say this is all rubbish but I’m afraid the picture is far, far worse. I was the boss of about 30 young women for a few years.

The office was awash with a hormonal soup, DayGlo gonks atop every desktop computer. There were colourful cushions and mugs bearing winsome slogans.

Was I a good boss? One of my ex-minions later told me I had veered crazily between trying too hard to be liked (I allowed everyone to leave early on a Friday, and by that I mean a quarter to six), and behaving in such a demanding, dictatorial manner (I once made my PA clean the floor-to-ceiling windows of my loft-like office, and not just on the inside) that I brought one particularly nervous fashion assistant out in psoriasis.

I tried to adopt the philosophy that went, well, the secretary earns the least, so don’t give her too much stress, but it didn’t work, not when every time I walked past her desk she was either eating, or surfing Net-a-Porter, or cooing to her dim-witted boyfriend.

The trouble is, at work women either care too much, or not enough: which camp they fall into depends on whether or not they have children.

Look at those who have made it to the top, and I guarantee they are either barren, like me, or have farmed their offspring on to nannies and boarding schools.

I was a boss who cared insanely too much. Moving from the male-dominated world of newspapers, where I had toiled away for 11 years, to the female world of glossy magazines came as a culture shock.

These women chatted when they arrived at work, their swivel chairs turned away from their screens (it was all I could do not to scream, ‘Face the front!’).

And, oh my goodness, the tears. Ask a female employee to move desks, there will be waterworks.

Ask a female employee to stay two minutes late, and a look of shock will cloud their over-decorated eyes, their faces will flush and, ooh yes, there will be tears in case they are late for the nanny (the one woman in the world they are not afraid to bully and bark at) or the spin class (why do women still insist, during a recession, on working out at lunchtime? A quick time-and- motion exercise will tell you an hour is simply not long enough).

When I became an employer again, about five years ago, I swore I would never hire a woman of child-bearing age: too many boyfriend problems, too many times of the month, too many lengthy sojourns when they simply have to go shopping for more dreadful High Street tat, far too many days off sick.

While this column will probably lose me the few remaining stalwart friends I have, I must say that women complain too much: they moan and they whine and they feel sorry for themselves.

Young women are by far the worst culprits: they’ve come of age in a time when they think they ‘deserve’ a nice life, rather than having to work for one.

I get emails from graduates all the time, saying they want to work in fashion or magazines, but they don’t want to iron clothes, or lug suitcases, or write picture captions. ‘How do I become a columnist?’ they type, sometimes leaving out the all-important ‘n’ in that word. ‘Am I too young – 23 – to write my memoirs?’

Women generally are, as the survey found, ‘loose cannons’, expending a great deal of energy on office politics (not real politics, mind; when I gave a female employee the afternoon off to find her polling card and vote, she said she couldn’t go because she hadn’t had her roots done).

The pretty ones always, always, always use their looks to get ahead, but even the ugly ones still manage to slope off on maternity leave.

I feel sorry for men in the workplace. Only the gay ones are allowed to sulk, or wear interesting clothes, or secrete hot, hormonal tears.

Disagree with that at the end. I once worked for a gay male boss, and he did not sulk, wear different clothes, or cry. The point Liz Jones misses is that men just don’t want to do these things, even gay guys.

Laura August 15, 2010 at 14:54

I, for the most part, don’t want to work for other women. However, some women are okay. TFH makes a good point that a mother of boys may be more understanding of the male ego and it may help her be a better boss. Sons do have a way of putting you in your place, so do brothers.