Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics such as Cipro and Levaquin Ruin Lives

by Featured Guest on June 21, 2010

Americans are being poisoned on a vast scale by toxins generated by corporations whose only goal is profit regardless of the consequences on humanity and its future.  These corporations include but are not limited to pharmaceutical companies and the medical establishment, which thrive on treating illnesses with expensive toxic drugs rather than simple, natural treatments that wouldn’t turn a profit.

I stumbled upon all this after experiencing side effects from Ciprofloxacin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic that is highly toxic to human tissue yet still prescribed like candy by doctors.  My side effects have been mild so far (aching joints and muscles, primarily) but were significant enough to drive me to research the causes and treatments for exposure to fluoroquinolones, including Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin, Avelox, and others.

I quickly learned not to blindly trust doctors regarding my health and when in doubt to do my own research.  I also learned that the FDA is funded largely by pharmaceutical companies and thus has a glaring conflict of interest, which is why the fluoroquinolone antibiotics have not been pulled from the market despite the debilitating side effects. The FDA had to be sued just to issue an ineffective black box warning regarding only the potential for tendon damage.

The adverse effects of fluoroquinolones include chronic fatigue, tendonitis/tendinopathy, tendon rupture, joint pain, muscle weakness/soreness/fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy, muscle spasms, popping/cracking joints, endurance problems, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), heart palpitations, anxiety attacks, brain fog, depersonalization, memory loss, difficulty finding the right word at times, seizures, buzzing/tingling/vibratory sensations, dry eyes/mouth/sinuses, numbness (especially at night), floaters/blank spots in field of vision, depression, and death.

The worst part about the symptoms of fluoroquinolones is that they are not short-lived.  They can cause chronic mental and physical pain and disability.  They can ruin lives.  And the longer you are exposed to them, the more likely you will suffer these “side effects”.  These chronic ailments are not often connected with the use of fluoroquinolones because doctors often rely on drug reps (salesmen) for their information rather than examining the readily available literature such as the Physician’s Desk Reference on the drugs they prescribe, their side effects, and contraindications.  Patients are not given informed consent about the dangers of these drugs.

Ciprofloxacin is routely subscribed for urinary tract infections, which affect women about ten times more often than men, even though there are far safer alternatives than Cipro.  Lo and behold, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome affect women about ten times more often than men, too, and these illnesses just happened to sprout up all over the place shortly after fluoroquinolone use became widespread.

Fluoroquinolones are also routinely prescribed for a variety of off-label indications such as suspected sinus infections or prostate infections. These antibiotics are extremely dangerous toxins that may cause symptoms of severe fluoride poisoning quickly in perfectly healthy individuals.  Sometimes they are even given to children or in combination with NSAIDs such as Ibuprofin, which increase the dangers.

Many of the illnesses we see today, such as cancer, were exceedingly rare only 100 years ago.  However, toxins introduced into our environment by industry now circulate in our bloodstreams and reside in our tissues.  These toxins and irresponsible agricultural practices have robbed vital minerals such as boron from the produce we buy from the supermarket, contributing to many chronic diseases of the heart, body, and mind.  It is true that we live longer today and are more likely to be afflicted by cancer as we age, but at the same time carcinogenic toxins that permeate our environment, our food, and our bodies make cancer more likely at any age.

The government’s fluoridation of our water supply has exacerbated our insufficient intake of iodine and is suspected as a major contributor to fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, thyroid problems, cancer, and various neurological pathologies.  Aluminum, mercury, and other contaminants in the food we eat and the cookware we use may lead to chronic diseases such as Alzheimer’s and cardiovascular disease.  Yet the government continues to allow us to be poisoned and devotes no effort to investigating the ill effects of these contaminants even though research has shown their detrimental effects.

Doctors continue to ignore natural, diet and supplement-based strategies to combat illness, instead relying on poisonous substances to treat the symptoms of disease rather than the underlying causes.  One-third of pharmaceuticals contain fluoride, which is toxic to every cell in the body, is not an essential nutrient, and was shown in one study to lower the IQ of children.  Fluoride allows chemicals to penetrate human cells more easily and even helps aluminum contaminants penetrate the blood-brain barrier.

The typical American diet provides a breeding ground for fluoride-based drugs to do their damage: we ingest copious amounts of the toxic halides fluorine, chlorine, and bromine from our food and water while subsisting on a diet low in the essential nutrient iodine, which competes against these toxins in the thyroid and other tissues. The FDA’s recommended daily intake of iodine is several magnitudes too low for thyroid sufficiency, especially in an environment where most fluids we drink contain added fluoride and most breads and flour contain added bromine. Neither the government nor the medical establishment is willing to recognize or even investigate honestly the disastrous effects such toxins and poor nutrition are having on us. It will be up to us as individuals and small communities to educate and protect ourselves and our families from the physical and mental horrors resulting from fluoride, fluorine-based drugs, and other toxins the establishment callously subjects us to.

If you or a family member suffers from symptoms of fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, or an autoimmune disease, I’d urge you to check their medical history for use of quinolone antibiotics.  Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin, Avelox are common ones but there are others, although many have been removed from the market due to the dangers. And please never let a doctor give these drugs to you or your loved ones, especially children.  There are always safer alternatives.

Limiting one’s fluoride exposure (through drugs, fluoridated water, toothpaste, and processed drinks) is important to overall health, but fluoride and fluorinated drugs such as the fluoroquinolones, Prozac, and Paxil are just the tip of this iceberg.  The truth is that pretty much everything you can buy at the supermarket is contaminated with toxins.  This makes it quite difficult to limit one’s exposure to harmful substances.

Dr. Joseph Mercola runs a website exposing much of the dangers of common foods and products.  He is a businessman, too, so you may take his advice with a grain of salt.  Always do your own research.  He does have an excellent article on the fluoroquinolones and the failure of the FDA which I’d urge you to read.

I am actually thankful for my exposure to Cipro for two reasons.  First, I was able to prevent my mother from taking a prescription of Cipro which I am certain would have led her to experience chronic joint pain for the rest of her life, if not worse.  Second, I am now motivated to protect myself, my loved ones, and my future children as much as possible from dangerous chemicals which prevent people from reaching their full potential by stunting their growth, lowering their IQs, and leading them to an early death.

I’ll leave you with a video of Bob Grozier, who lost his family, nearly died, and suffers from debilitating physical and mental side effects from the combination of Cipro and Vioxx, a dangerous NSAID.  It is important to note that fluoroquinolones can do their damage alone, even without the combination of NSAIDs.

rebecca July 15, 2010 at 04:15

hi i was given 18 courses of cipro for what was thought to be a kidney infection which i was badly mistreated for. after that for the past 4 years i have been suffering from numerous neurologecal disorders. cervical dystonia, leg pains in calves so painfull i can hardly walk constent buzzing in nerves though out body. back pain, vertigo to the extent i was in hospital for 2 weeks all of which have been unexplaned. ive undergone numerous tests to no real reason to all this. I have asked on many occasions could it be due to this antibiotic and they have laughed at me. I cant believe what im reading here and now i think i have my answers. What next? how do i rebuild my life/

David towers September 14, 2010 at 21:49

Ron September 20, 2010 at 10:28

Excellent article. I recently had nasal surgery to remove polyps that had made it nearly impossible for me to breathe. After a successful surgery, it was found that it was a staph infection that had caused my problems. Unfortunately for me, it was found that the typical antibiotics were resistant to my staph infection. Thus, my doctor put me on Levaquin. After only two 500mg doses of Levaquin, I had shooting pains down my forearms and into my wrists. It also aggravated a basketball injury that I suffered ten years prior, and now I am hobbling around all over again. It has only been a few days since my last dose of Levaquin, but I am not feeling any better yet. My doctor wants to keep me on it, but I am refusing. He said there is no other alternative. I would rather deal with staph/sinus infections than suffer any longer lasting effects of using any drug from this class of antibiotics. There was no “black box” warning on my prescription, so I wonder if that is still something that is required.

Jay Hammers November 7, 2010 at 02:52

I believe only physicians see the black box warning. But they generally don’t give two shits about you.

luce November 7, 2010 at 15:30

I don’t know that it’s all clear that the fluoride component of these compounds is what’s causing the problem, but there is no doubt the the quinolone antibiotics have the potential to cause serious and potentially irreversible reactions in many people, including muscle, joint, nerve, skin, visual, hearing, psychiatric, and accelerated aging damage. They are extremely powerful medications, prescribed way too often and in excessively large doses by clueless MDs who then don’t have the slightest idea of how to handle the consequences. The 2008 Black Box warning has done almost nothing to curtail their usage. For more information, check out cipro, levaquin & avelox in askapatient.com, where nearly 3,000 reports have been submitted on these drugs, nearly all of them negative. Go also to fqresearch.org, death-by-leavquin, yahoo fq toxicity, quinolone facebook page

Daniel Jereb November 27, 2010 at 12:50

Doctor prescribed Levaquin for a bad sinus infection. Prescribed for 30 days, took myself off after 23. Left with chronic tendonitis of the thumb. Boy was I lucky

Sarah December 14, 2010 at 20:42

Doctor prescribed Cipro for serious bacterial food poisoning when we had just started a 2400 mile trip to our summer home. Within a few weeks after taking 9 days of 1000mg/day, I began to have excruciating pain in both hips, both knees and both shoulders. Although I exercise 4 or 5 days a week and was in pretty good shape when I took the Cipro, I was reduced to barely being able to walk. Thankfully, after weeks of massage and acupuncture, the symptoms began to lessen. But I still have residual pain in every joint. What I want to know is why the Mayo
Clinic, for example, and most doctors don’t list fluoroquinolones as a cause of fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome!

Darby January 8, 2011 at 06:08

1 tsp Bugle weed tea,1 tea bag peppermint tea combo steeped for 20 minutes followed with a cup of coffee 3 times a day till your heart rate drops into the mid 80 beats a minute range. Then decrease the frequency to morning & night when you hit the high 70 ‘s beats per minute. When you’re down to 72 beats a minute, do the tea and coffee once a day for 2 weeks, then every other day for two weeks, then every 3 days for 2 weeks and then your symptoms should be gone. I am still well a year later after following this regimen. [email protected]

I had a UTI and was given Ciproflaxin which gave what seemed to be flu sypmtoms, muscle aches, racing heart, joint pain, shortness of breath. I went to 3 different doctors and was finally diagnosed as having Graves disease. They wanted to put me on a beta blocker to slow the heart down (which had bad side affects) and a pill for the thryoid which also had bad side affects.

I looked online and found “The Green Pharmacy” by Duke and it recommended the bugle weed tea, and peppermint tea as potentially slowing the Graves disease. I only used the bugle weed not the verbena or other addition since it was only one aspect of my thyroid that wasn’t working. I didn’t want to suppress the part that would need to take over once the excess thyroid hormone got processed. I’d also read that moderate coffee intake actually lowers the heart rate. The other oddity was that a lot of folks that have taken Ciproflaxin complain of Grave’s type symptoms! I did extensive reading on Ciproflaxin and read that it had an affinity to caffeine and to not drink caffeine while taking it because it might have adverse affects. So I deduced that perhaps since I was no longer taking the cipro that now coffee might leach it out of my cells.

To make a long story short, I went from almost be totally incapacitated to total disappearance of symptoms after a 6 month period. I did the 1 tsp bugle weed, 1 Celestial Seasoning peppermint tea combo morning, noon, and night for 3 months solid. Within 30 minutes of taking the tea I would then brew one of the Folger coffee bags that’s similar to a tea bag and drink that.

My eyes bothered my for awhile, but that has also subsided.

When I go to the endocrinologists my tests are all normal, except I still have the high ANA which is indicative of Graves.

I’ve seen no adverse side affects from the regimen I followed. My aches and pains are gone. My heart rate is 68 beats per minute (it was 110 beats per minute for months, day & night), my energy is returned. I hope this helps others who were diagnosed with Graves or on Ciproflaxin. There is a cheap and natural way to recover! [email protected]

christopher January 22, 2011 at 16:50

In July of 2004 I was a very healthy, fresh out of college, in my 1st apartment and my 1st real job and I got health insurance. I had one health issue, just one. A swollen prostate. I was put on an antibiotic and lost everything I had and myself.
?Here are the events that took place in chronological order.

Having new insurance I went for a physical and my doctor said my prostate seemed a bit tender and I should see a urologist. I scheduled an appt with a urologist in August of 2004. At that appointment and exam I was told that I may have bacterial prosititis and I would be put on 3 weeks of Cipro, 500mg a day. Trusting a doctor and not questioning an antibiotic I accepted and went to CVS. I filled my prescription and went home.

After a few days of work and preparing to move into my 1st apartment, I started to experience hip, shoulder and leg pain, also headaches, dizzy spells and major fatigue in all parts of my body. I brushed this off thinking it was my physical activities and continued with my week. Taking cipro 2x a day faithfully. Within a week I was experiencing back pain, fatigue, sore arms, muscles crunching and popping in my back, as well as all my joints starting to snap and pop. I still put no connection that this was my antibiotic… I well on my way into a Cipro Adverse Reaction Toxicity.. but I kept on strong and living my life, unaware. Around my 2 month mark I realized that something was happening and I brought it to the attention of my urologist who told me that Cipro could not be causing such affects and the only damage that might happen is to my Achilles tendon. I was then given a 3rd months prescription and sent on my way with a follow up a month later. A total of 63 days of cipro I was on by the end. WELL into my cipro treatment came my next appt…..

In September of 2004 I was to have a root canal, this was not affordable at the time so I had a tooth pulled and I was to have an oral implant put in via surgery. The surgery was scheduled and it was a quick 1 hour oral implant procedure. After surgery I was being prescribed medications for the surgery by my periodontist and his nurse. I was told that I would be put on an antibiotic to prevent any infections and 10 days of a prednisone packet to strengthen the implant. At that time, I made it very clear that I was on Cipro 500mg for over a month for a prostate issue. This was marked in RED pen on my file. Right underneath is marked the prescription for Prednisone.

already well into a Cipro adverse reaction and damage, then topped with Prednisone (major drug interaction)..

Within 2 days, I suffered an infection in the implant, the periodontist called in a prescription for Penicillin VK, Buspar for teeth grinding, NSAIDs and Vicodin for pain. These medications should never have been mixed with the already potent CIPRO and STEROIDS I was on. 3 weeks later I would call the dentist and inform them that Cipro and Steroids should never have been mixed, nor another antibiotic or nsaid. That their office was in negligence for not investigating interactions before prescribing. Within a week from that call I was called back asking Are you holding our dental office in blame for your medical issues and damages… I said I do not know who to hold blame, you shouldn’t have mixed those medications… my payment plan was quickly released to a collections lawyer and they never took my calls again.

Within 2 weeks I was unable to get out of bed, I lost major muscle mass and weight. I went to the ER, I went to doctors, all of this is fully documented from day one in my medical records that I went for HELP, over and over, telling them that I was suffering from a major adverse reaction from the mixture of Cipro and Steroids, and then having put so many other medications into the mix it had finally crashed and destroyed my young body. I was put through every test you can think of. I was also marked as a hypochondriac very quickly as no doctor would believe that an antibiotic could do such things. The damages continued quickly and painfully.. I started to have tearing muscles in my back, burning and tingling nerve sensations in patches on my back, and arms. The snapping and grinding of each joint, in my arms, legs, shoulders and spine were becoming constant and hurtful. Until this day I have not healed, I have ruined muscles, nerve, cartilage, chronic full body and spine pain, unbelievable fatigue. But I live. I will not surrender to it. I live.

While sitting at my grandparents one day, I felt a rib POP near my sternum. I touched my chest and I felt my rib cage clicking back and forth. I immediately went to the ER and they could not explain how it could have snapped. I went to my hospital and I was questioned about my medications. I told them that Cipro caused cartilage destruction in weight bearing joints and muscles. They said this could not be the cause at all, it had to be something else. I told them I had been swimming the week before and that was about it.. during physical exercise for my sore body. This was written down as the possible cause and my honesty about the cipro ruining my joints and such was brushed off.. This was now the medical reason to have part of my ribs removed in a one hour surgery. There was no swimming accident.

I started to write to the FDA, To Bayer, To Lawyers, To anyone that might listen, only to be shot down and told that there was no way that anyone would go against a pharmaceutical company and that yes, I was a victim of medical malpractice, and yes my doctors believed me as they knew me before hand, but it was not in the medical journals and that if I had printed the 50 paged warnings of Cipro, rather than relying what the bottle said do not drink or operate machinery.

I have lost everything, my college degree earned teaching job, my healthy body, my home, my partner, the friendships and family that cant help. For 5 years I have emailed, mailed, talked, tried to get help. I have been in touch with 100s of victims, belong to support groups, 100s of other people my age, younger, older, all in the same position as I am.. a very damaged body, a victim, ignored and left to suffer with the consequences.

I was perfectly healthy and happy before this medication. I had a life in order and I was ready to begin it and within weeks I lost it all. I trustingly took these medications from my doctor with the hope to fix my prostate. Over the past 6 years I have gone into financial disgrace, Ive had to move home with my family and I am in chronic full body pain and damages that no physical therapy and major medical visits are not repairing. I am so afraid of future, if I hurt this much at a young age I cannot imagine the pain as I age.??For my own sake and proof, from day ONE I kept a journal of every test, every pill, every exam I was put through. I also paid to have every medical record, dental record, doctors not, prescription, xrays, you name it… copied. I have a binder that shows a 25 year old healthy person in 2004 and then after that over 500 pages of medical records, exams and physical issues. The proof is as clear as day, in time line order. This has not been good enough for anyone Ive spoken too. Sadly, the other victims, who have just as long as a list as I do, suffer from the same ignorance from the medical and lawyer field.

What is dis-concerning in the end is that my Primary Care Doctor, My Rheumatologist, My Physical Therapist and many other doctors believe what happened to patients.. but they are not willing to take the stand or point out that these medical adverse reactions are not in their medical journals and that they are ill-informed of these events. Ive been told that the pharmaceutical companies also keep this from their doctors when selling the item. Like many of the victims, our doctors knew us before we took this drug when we were healthy people who happened to end up with a UTI or Prostate Infection that was mass dosed by Cipro or Levaquin.. only to have it ruin us fully.
?My medical life is taking over. My body has not healed at all, it has become worse.

The FDA knows the power of cipro, all the people taking it via Anthrax were damaged so bad it ended with a major law suit. The sister drug Levaquin is in the middle of major law suits due to the same damages… In 2008 the FDA black boxed Cipro due to its physical damages on humans.

I have no idea what to do with my life. On my right side I am damaged permanently and cannot work or collect disability. On my left side I have 85,000 in student loans that are ruining me financially into bankruptcy (which I cannot file as I have nothing to file for other than my student loans).

I need help. There has to be a class action law suit for myself and the victims. We all have our medical records, we all have proof, we all have rights. ??Search: Cipro, Steroids, Fibromyalgia, Tendon Rupture, Muscle Wasting, Fluorquinlione support groups and toxicity.. you will see for yourself. As for the power of facebook there are 2 Fluquinilone groups with peoples photos and stories. We need someone with a voice.

In just a facebook victim group (mind you, not all victims know of this group or have facebook).. there are 764 people.. growing everyday. Thats almost 800 letters sent just from one small support group to FDA and BAYER to no reply or help.

Christopher King
[email protected]
Boston Massachusetts

Nikki February 28, 2011 at 16:34

I am a 40 year old woman who lives a healthy lifestyle. I eat good organic food, I get restful sleep, I walk regularly as a form of exercise, I care for my home and my two young children, and I own my own business. My husband grows a large edible garden and we raise chickens for their eggs. Between the two of us, we are practitioners of Chinese Energetic Medicine, Reiki, Ayurveda, Herbalism, Yoga, Meditation, and other forms of healthy living. We have an active family lifestyle and in July 2010 we were working with a real estate agent in Costa Rica where we were planning to buy property in a beach community. During a particularly stressful time in my life, and against all of my usual protocols, on July 29, 2010 I decided to take an antibiotic for a UTI and possible kidney infection. I took Cipro 500mg 2x per day for 6.5 days before I realized that my body wasnt appreciating it. Three days after I discontinued use, I made another unusual and desperate decision, and took one dose of Advil for pain. Four hours later, my life was hanging on by a thread.

Over the course of the next week I would lose my ability to walk, my ability to drive, my ability to see , think, and communicate clearly, my ability to rationalize, my ability to care for my family and myself, and my ability to feel okay about ANYTHING. Over the course of the next couple of months my family would endure a living nightmare while my body and my mind degenerated before their eyes. I was physically, mentally, and emotionally incapacitated. These are some of the symptoms I have experienced to date: peripheral neuropathy, numbness, dizziness, convulsions, seeing things out of the corner of my eye that are not there, acute tendonapathy (in both ankles, both Achilles, both knees, right bicep, both shoulders, both wrists, neck, right hip, both thumbs and 8 fingers) torn rotator cuff, tremors, anxiety, fear, fright, nightmares, headaches, ringing in my ears, ear pain, confusion, depression, paranoia, hives, rash, irregular heart beat, irregular breathing, chills, fever, abdominal pain, diarrhea, pain, burning, tingling, tremors, weakness, a brain spasm/squeeze (wait, did I already say that?), difficult speech, brain fog, blank spots in my thinking, creaking joints, popping sounds when I move, loss of smell, vibration throughout my body, persistent twitching, loss of words, momentary blindness, short term memory loss, inability to walk, fatigue, extreme sensitivity to light, sound and movement, nausea, inability to raise my arms above my head, inability to grasp things with my hands, terrible body odor, loss of appetite, muscular atrophy, loss of control over my bodily movements, weight gain, blurry vision, irregular eye movements, and among other things that my messed up brain cant think of right now, a condition I can only describe as the crazies. None of the symptoms I mentioned have been mild. They have all been profound in their incapacitating, annoying, painful or frightening character.

Currently, I am still suffering from about a dozen of these items, but generally speaking I am more stable mentally and physically thanks to the use of alternative medicine. During this acute phase, I have experienced drastic improvements followed by slightly less drastic setbacks, but overall Im slowly and sometimes quickly improving. My tendons are still acute, my right shoulder is frozen and painful, I still have nerve damage, and I have no idea what my future holds, but I am alive and I am doing the best I can to keep my spirits up. One thing that helps is hearing about peoples success stories, so if you know any, please post them here on my website. We can all use a little direction, inspiration and hope.

I am so grateful to you for writing this article, the more exposure this class of drugs can get for its true nature, the more empowered we become to one day stop their production. Blessings to all the survivors!

Nikki February 28, 2011 at 16:39

I forgot to mention in my other post that I have a Surviving Cipro website for anyone interested in treating Fluoroquinolone Toxicity with alternative medicine. The web address is http://www.survivingcipro.com. Best Wishes for great health!

Jay Hammers March 3, 2011 at 01:05

Like so many other things, the vast majority of people won’t believe until it happens to them.

I know I got a lot of good nutrition advice from http://noquinolones.proboards.com/index.cgi originally and later also some from http://curezone.org

It is truly sick what some people are willing to do to make a buck. Truly.

For those of you FQ victims, please take a look at the rest of the site too. Much like FQ toxicity, most people won’t realize that men are discriminated against in a lot of areas of life in the western world until they are personally exposed to it. I was, just like I was exposed to FQs.

In both cases, I’ve gotten off very easy. I’ve faced misandry every day of my life, but I’m still going strong, largely unscathed. I stopped taking Cipro only a few days in after reading stories like yours, and for that I thank you. Today I suffer from moderate joint aches and popping, or whatever, but I’ve been enlightened to the dangers of prescription drugs. I can’t imagine how I would have reacted if I had gone through some of what you have gone through. I honestly don’t think I’d still be alive. Bravo to you.

yygrowensineelett March 19, 2011 at 07:38
Jay Hammers April 9, 2011 at 20:09

There are over 1000 likes on the Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic Toxicity Facebook page. This is double the number of friends Ferdinand has, about equal to the number of friends Paul Elam has, and three times the number of likes The Spearhead has.

People don’t just all decide to make this shit up.

Bruce Deile April 27, 2011 at 20:01

Include Doxycycline–adverse effects very similar to those listed above. It’s often prescribed for Lyme disease and may actually be the cause of ongoing symptoms (instead of chronic bacterial spirochete–borreliosis/Lyme disease).

Amazed May 14, 2011 at 17:23

I had blood in my urine and was diagnosed with gross hematura when I went to an urgent care clinic. I am an over 50 competitive athlete that has had surgery for a ruptured right achilles and a torn left achilles. I put this on my record and the physician at that clinic and I discussed this.

They did not detect any bacteria in the urine sample but three days later when the lab samples came back there was bacteria. We talked over the phone and she said she was going to give me a px for cipro.

I picked it up, went home, took a pill and then as an afterthought pulled out the leaflet and read the black box warning. I had never associated or would have stopped to think an antibiotic could cause tendon rupture. I am surprised I was interested enough to read it. I was furious when I read the literature and researched it on the internet.

I went back to Walgreens and asked the pharmacist why he did not tell me about the black box warning. He shrugged it off and said they don’t do that and I can ask the doctor for a different px. I told him about my achilles issues and he told me one tablet was not going to do anything. Well what about if I would have taken the whole 7 days course of 2/day? What then?

I called the doctor and left a message the next day on her phone. She had her nurse call me and prescribe something else. She would not talk to me to answer my questions that I left on her answering machine as to why she would prescribe something like this knowing I have had compromised and surgically repaired achilles.

I wrote to Walgreens off of their website (pharmacy-where they have a pharmacist talk via chat) and got a brush off answer. I went back to the Walgreens where I picked up my px and asked the pharmacist why they did not tell me about the black box warning but knew enough to ask me if I was taking calcium and warned my not to take any calcium. The pharmacist told me that they never tell anyone about the black box warnings because then people would be too afraid to take their meds and this was not going to change. I held up my new px and said “That is not true – they have a CHOICE to change to a different medication.”

No one cared. It didn’t matter whom I talked to or wrote to about this. No one in the medical community cares. From this day forward I will read everything and educate myself about anything that I take or am prescribed. I do not trust doctors.

My father who has passed away was a pharmacist so I had never had any reason to suspect or mistrust the medical community.

Lorry Norton June 4, 2011 at 08:45

My husband and I both had abscesses on our rears, and was diagnosed with MRSA. He had more than I did. After multiple surgeries for him and one for me to remove the abscesses, we saw an Infectious Disease doctor who put us both on two different antibiotics. I’m allergic to sulfa, so I had to take Levoquin. I actually read the material that came with the prescription and noted the side effects. I remember it saying it could cause tendon problems. I was a little concerned but I took it anyway. I was anxious to get rid of the MRSA. We both came out just fine, until three days ago. I’d been having some pain in my elbows. First the right, and then the left. Not at the same time. Then the pain went to my shoulders. It finally got so bad in the right shoulder that I went in to the doctor. They said I had bicep inflammation and gave me oxycodone, prednisone (cortisone) and Flexeril (a muscle relaxant). It is helping, but after reading what you all said I am concerned that I may be having problems for a long time if it’s from the Levoquin. I guess time will tell…

Fellow Floxie June 5, 2011 at 15:44

There are MANY more fluoroquinolone antibiotic toxicity victim stories (with photos, so you can put faces to all this needless suffering) at:

Richard Schaefer June 12, 2011 at 08:43

Took this drug for a minor infection nearly five years ago. Stopped after two days of terrible joint/tendon pain. For the first year post Quinolone (Levaquin) pain and stiffness was chronic – moving from one joint to another – mostly legs and arms – bilateral. Some days/weeks could not lift anything over a few pounds. Also had sleep problems and nightmares. The pain and stiffness would remit for a week or two – then return – often in different areas.. This trend continued for a little more than a year, then evolved in minor stiffness and mild aches for the next 3 years. 6 months ago it returned – worse than than ever. Now there is now no complete remission of symptoms and it is spreading. First began in right elbow tendons to wrist. Then to the left elbow and now has spread to both knees. Additional sporadic pains everywhere. Very difficult to kneel, lift even light objects (gallon of milk)l or climb stairs. Never had a joint pain in my life until a day after taking this poison. I know now that I will never recover as the 6 month trend has been worsening steadily. NEVER TAKE ANY OF THE QUINOLONES UNLESS RISK OF DEATH IS PROBABLE.

Jerry September 14, 2011 at 12:07

Are there alternatives to Levaquin and other antibiotics in this class for the treatment of chlamydia and gonorrhea? I’ve already taken two courses of the standard azithromycin and cefixime antibiotics but they failed. So my doctor prescribed 7 days x 500 mg of Levaquin and a shot of ceftriaxone. I don’t mind the ceftriaxone but I’m scared of the Levaquin.

Is there an alternative to Levaquin?

Heather September 20, 2011 at 22:31

This article hits the nail squarely on the head! In 2006 I got a 2-week course of cipro and within 6 months was no longer able to play guitar, my wrists and forearms were so painful. After 40 years of playing guitar, why so sudden? (I wondered…). In 2009 my elderly father (unable to speak due to stroke but able to walk) was given levaquin for pneumonia and suddenly 2 months later became unable to walk. NO ONE knew what the problem was, and the poor dear man passed away before I was able to figure all this out.

Starting in 2010 I began reading about this and put 2-and-2 together. Since then I’ve flushed fluoride from my system as possible through iodine, calcium, vitamin-D and magnesium supplements. Fluoride has a half-life in the body of 13 years! So it will take a long time. But I’m happy to say that now one year after making these changes, my energy levels are soaring, my brain fog has disappeared as have the heart palpitations, and the write/forearm pain has improved enough that I can play guitar again (though still infrequently).

Jay Hammers September 30, 2011 at 13:49

For those of you who have responded, I hope you know there are sources out there with answers. I would avoid quinolones unless you are facing death without them, and even then I would ask for alternatives. There used to be a forum for people to talk about how to counter the effects of quinolones, but it looks like it’s down now. That’s where I found a lot of my initial information on how to counter the effects.

It is true that iodine supplementation helps (iodoral or lugol’s), also in the very early stages you can inhibit the absorption of fluoride into your body with calcium supplements. A good multivitamin + magnesium are important. You might check out curezone.org and look around there for other tips, or the Facebook page. There’s also fqvictims.org.

The website I found a lot of information at was noquinolones.proboards.com but I suspect someone took it down to prevent the truth from being heard.

Jay Hammers September 30, 2011 at 14:13

I feel bad that I can’t help more at this time, but here is some more information on the types of things you might try supplementing in order to combat the effects of FQ poisoning. They helped me. Also remember it’s good to move around. If you can, ride a bike enough to warm up your muscles and joints, and then, if you can, do some stretches. You don’t have to push yourself hard. This helps to get blood flowing to the joints and combined with supplementation is very effective.

I’ll just list what I think are most important, and where I get them. Hope it helps.

Iodine – Lugol’s and/or Iodoral, jcrowsmarketplace.com and iherb.com
Alpha Lipoic Acid (not R-ALA) – NSI brand at vitacost.com
B12 (optional) – vitacost, Natural Factors B12 tablets
Boron (may prevent fluoride absorption) – Vitacost twin lab
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (optional) – is said to help with brain fog
Vitamin D3 – I get this at vitacost, it’s also good to get it through fish oil
Vitamin C – I like the MegaFood version
Magnesium – I like Bluebonnet chelated magnesium at iherb
Calcium – do not supplement unless maybe right after you’ve been exposed to limit absorption of fluoride – after that calcium supplements can be harmful
fish oil – Cod liver oil: either the Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver Oil (Lemon) in liquid form or NSI Norwegian cod Liver Oil softgels. Some recommend Seven Seas but I would do my own research about arsenic contamination first. You want EPA/DHA and also note the vitamin D content. Another option is Krill Oil but it doesn’t have the vitamin D. It does have astaxanthin which is a nice antioxidant though.
Multi-vitamin – there are a lot of other vitamins that typical foods do not have in sufficient quantities. I like the MegaFood varieties.
B-vitamin complex – If your multi-vitamin doesn’t provide B vitamins you might get this too
Whey protein – A very important thing to help rebuild cartilage lost due to FQs. Natural Factors Whey Factors at Vitacost or Amazon is good, unflavored and pure.
boku super food is nice if you don’t get a lot of veggies
Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM is good for joints – at Vitacost
Selenium – A very important mineral to supplement, even if you already have it in your multivitamin.
Astaxanthin – I almost forgot to mention this one specificially, BioAstin from Vitacost is good. This is good for your joints and to protect against sun damage

Of course, it’s also very helpful to eat natural foods – veggies, wild caught salmon (not farmed), things like broccoli and cilantro. Cooking with coconut oil is healthier than pretty much anything else. Natural and USDA organic are less likely to cause reactions. If you can get organic local products that’s great too. I never got that much into the organic stuff but when I was really feeling the effects of the Cipro during the first few months I was eating a lot of veggies, salmon, and even a few steaks. Here is some more information.

Jay Hammers October 6, 2011 at 14:05

For information on organic non-GMO foods, Google search the following:

“gmo brochure mercola”

“eat wild”

“local harvest”

Michelle October 7, 2011 at 13:50

My life changed on 4-23-2008. Was given Levaquin for an “upper-resperatory” infection. I took 3 pills. Began having anxiety, panick attacks, heart racing, tingling in hands, sweating, breathing difficulty, halucinations, twitching limbs, then my eyes went dry! I no longer produce any tears! Even when I cry! My corneas slough off and cause blindness when this happens. It has been 3 years and still have chronic dry eye. No tears at all. Doctors now take my blood plasma and make eye drops for me to help keep my corneas from scratching off. I use eye ointment and drops 24 hrs per day. I cannot travel without severe pain in eyes, cannot drive for more than 1 hr without cornea sloughing off. My life has been completely altered. The doctor that prescribed the antibiotic says there is no link. They tried to put me on Zoloft for anxiet & depression. I have never had a history of anxiety or depression. I refused the Zoloft. I knew in my heart it was a reaction to the antibiotic. My husband took personal leave to help care for me for 6 weeks. The symptoms finally went away all except my drey eye. I am stcuk with this disabling problem for the rest of my life it seems. It has now been 3 years. I am learning to adapt to my vision problems & chronic pain. However, it is very sad sometimes and very expensive to manage this. I am not working a full time job any more due to my eyes. I am not collecting disabilty (which I should) and the doctors wont admit their mistake. I beleive my medical bills should at least be covered. I am going to persue action against Levquin. Any advice will be helpful. Good luck & God Bless.

annette October 21, 2011 at 00:42

Try 1/4 teaspoon of BORAX to pure spring water at least 1 litre.
It removes fluoride from the system.
Drink Daily.
Increase your potassium.
Make sure you have magnesium
And Iodine in the form of Kelp tablets.
Iodine and Borax both fight fluoride which has no business in the human body. Fluoride acts as a receptor for calcium thus replacing it in bones potassium thus causing cramps in all musculature due to depletion. Get rid of it now!

Lionh34r7 October 27, 2011 at 19:00

annette, have you or someone you know been fluoroquinolone poisoned before? Have you or someone you know tried the supplemental formula you have listed? If so, does it cure the problem? please respond

"barium betty" November 7, 2011 at 18:55

I was prescribed moxyfloxacin for an intractable secondary bronchitis to a nasty flu that was probably sprayed on us via the chem trail program. When Zithromax didn’t even make a dent the doctor gave me Avelox. After just one pill I broke out in severe sweating, felt tired, felt like all my tendons were shrinking and had caught on fire. I made myself take three of these thermo-nuclear medicine bombs. B-I-G mistake. Should have quit right after the first one. I’m a professional violinist and the swelling it caused in my right forearm/wrist is still going on, six weeks post “treatment.”

THE Biggest Thing Idiots in our “culture” need to get? A HEART!!! NO amount of laws or rules will EVER substitute for this. It is PAST time you got one if you don’t already have one. Otherwise, get off this planet. GO NOW. DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT to tell me that I need to DIE as a part of purging this planet to make it “safe” and “sustainable” for your rich asses. Sheesh! You otta be ashamed of yourselves. SOMEONE should tell your stupid mothers what you’ve become.

SandraK November 22, 2011 at 17:10

Barium Betty is my new hero! She is correct.

Ruth House November 30, 2011 at 15:11

I am in the same boat with so many of you. I was prescribed levaquin on 9/14/2011 I took 7 of the 500 mg tabs when my tendons and muscles began aching. I was given prednisone by my primary doctor, then was sent to a RA doctor and was given more prednisone, I am now taking vitamin c. vitamin b12, magneseam, and I am so tired and ache most of the time. I have had maybe 10 days that I felt somewhat better. Please help, I am 57, and am not sure I will live to see my grandkids grown. Thank you to anyone who can be of any help.
Ruth

Carol L December 14, 2011 at 05:03

I ended up in ER in Sept 2011 with what was diagnosed as having had a kidney stone that I’d passed, leaving a bad infection causing my pain. I was given Levaquin for the infection and sent home. I returned to the hospital 3 days later with the same pain, and this time they found a small stone. Upon admission to have the stone surgically removed, the hospital pharmacist stopped the Levaquin immediately – presumably because I’d had a severe reaction to Avelox 2 yrs previously and he caught the connection between the two. I wasn’t aware of the family of flouroquinolone antibiotics at the time. Long story short, 13 days later while standing still, my knee snapped and down I went. I ended up having to return to ER in an ambulance, unable to bear weight. My knee ruptured and I did nothing to cause it – it just snapped with a searing pain. I found out later that the Levaquin was the cause of this knee rupture after talking with a friend who experienced ruptured tendons after taking Levaquin.
I had my left hip replaced in April of 2010, several months before this kidney stone/Levaquin incident and came through with flying colors. My surgeon told me at the time that the right hip was in great shape and he didn’t anticipate I’d ever have to replace it. It’s now December 2011, and I just had the right hip replaced last month, as it was bone on bone and I could no longer walk. I know in my heart Levaquin is at the root of all this, as it’s also caused unexplained muscle weakness in my legs that doesn’t go away.
The first experience I had with a flouroquinolone antibiotics was taking one dose of Avelox for a severe upper respiratory infection about 5 years ago. Within 10 minutes, I had a severe panic attack and I never had one of those in my entire life! I knew it was the pill I’d just swallowed, because I felt weird as soon as I took it. Those panic attacks lasted for nearly 5 months from taking just ONE dose. My doctor said it wasn’t the antibiotic that caused it, but I insisted he put Avelox on my records as an allergen anyway. I was certain it caused the panic attacks, while he looked at me like I had two heads.
It wasn’t until my knee ruptured and I felt all this unexplained joint pain that a friend suggested I read up on Levaquin for some information. That’s when I made the connection between Levaquin and Avelox and it was a lightbulb moment for me. I’d bet the farm that the Levaquin is what caused the deterioration of my right hip which had been fine less than 2 yrs previously, and now I’m told I have severe arthritis in my knee as well.
These heavy-duty antibiotics are nothing more than money makers in my opinion. There are far less dangerous antibiotics out there that can be prescribed, but doctors continue to use these dangerous drugs because the pharmaceuticals push them. I had a lengthy discussion with my doctor over these horrible side effects and he told me I’m wrong, that the side effects of any antibiotic are gone from the body within 4-5 months tops! All I said to him was that I hope he’s never forced to take one of these antibiotics himself, because he’ll soon learn what I’m saying is true. I just ended the discussion with “we agree to disagree.”
Whenever I see a new doctor or specialist for anything, I just routinely tell them I’m allergic to flouroquinolones, because I’ll never take them again. When I had my hip replaced last month, my surgeon told me “it’s too bad you’re allergic to Levaquin because it’s a good antibiotic.” I just kept my thoughts to myself, because he’s a good surgeon, but he’s clearly uninformed about all of these dangerous antibiotics being prescribed so frequently and all of the horrible side effects they cause.
I no longer take ANY prescribed medicine until I research everything as well as I can. I even went so far as to tell my doctor these large pharmaceuticals are nothing more than legal drug pushers. To me that’s all they are! Our health is not their concern – making the almighty dollar is all they care about. By the time all of us victims get together and discover the dangers of these drugs, they’ve made billions of $$$, and can well afford to pay a few million out for class action lawsuits, but they still walk away with billions of dollars in profits. It’s just a shame for all of us, as we want to trust our doctors, but for me – that’s becoming more and more difficult to do.

Robbie February 2, 2012 at 16:35

Hey, I just happened to come across this site. Very interesting. I was prescribed Cipro a couple of months ago for a prostate infection. The first few days were’nt to bad but shortly after I started having symptoms of depression , anxiety , talking to myself and paranoia. I put up with it for 3 weeks because the prostititis was driving me nuts. I started to feel better after the first course of antibiotics but after another week the infection had not completely gone away. So, I started another course but after 2 days it was driving me crazy. More of the same symptoms. I told my wife that’s it. I can’t do this any more. So I’ve been trying some herbal remedies and having some progress but not well yet. Still searching. If anyone out there knows of anything thats an alternative for prostatitis I would be very grateful. Thanks for this site man. I was actually thinking of trying some sort of drug again to get rid of this when found this. But I don’t think I will now. Pressing on….

JP February 6, 2012 at 13:57

although i do agree that Cipro is used too much, it or any of the other Fluoroquinolone antibiotics will not be removed from the market. A lot of the effects people get are because it is probably the wrong prescription for what you have, or it is way too much, in Sarah’s case above, she should have only been on 500mg MAX! thus she got terrible side effects. As in Ron’s case, if i am correct i would say he had a nasal staph infection WHICH IS FATAL!!! THESE ARE THE ONLY DRUGS FOUND TO TREAT THESE KIND OF INFECTIONS!!!! so should you know what your taking yes, but should they completely get rid of in … no, not unless you want to have a serious MERSA, staph or any other superbug out break…. so i’m sorry jay, do more research and maybe take a pharmacology class or 2 and you would realize that the reason they cant take some drugs off the market is because the side effects are usually less than the fate of death or plague outbreak.

Deb Wells March 20, 2012 at 16:01

Question: I have popping of the joints caused by Cipro poisoning. Every joint in my body pops. Does this go away or is this a permanent symptom?

Ed April 4, 2012 at 09:27

I have that same symptom you are having Deb. The rheumatologist told me “that’s normal”, and I thought “Hell no! my shoulder didn’t pop every time I moved it before taking CIPRO!”. Sure, joints popping every now and then is normal, but everytime you move a particular joint (especially the shoulder in my case).. that drug broke lots of things in my body!

I also have tendonitis, but the rheumatologist thinks that it could not be caused by CIPRO. I really think there is no hope in getting doctors to recognize the damage done by these FQ drugs. And all they can prescribe is NSAIDs which just hide the problem!

Brian June 10, 2012 at 13:14

I have to tell you that I am scared about starting to take this Cipro earlier this morning. I am taking it by the order of a urologist who has prescribed it for me in advance of tomorrow’s prostate biopsy. 500mg for 4 days. After having read initially about the Cipro connection to Levaquin after taking the first hit, I immediately remembered our friend who had not one but two ruptured Achilles tendons. So, now what do I do? I am a little frantic about it. I have an email to a friend who is a P.A. and a smart guy to get his opinion. I feel a little stupid that I didn’t do more homework. Had I known that it had the same possible side effects as Levaquin I would have thrown it away. I am going to call the emergency room and maybe the doctor’s office (fat chance on a Sunday), because I have to get some satisfaction (hey, that reminds me of a song). Fuck it, now my wife says I took it before. Damn it, I am a little jammed up. Anybody out there.

Landon July 17, 2012 at 21:46

Brian – I took levquin before and then took it again and now am partially disabled. after my 3rd pill i started getting tendon / ligament issues that has contineud and now i am 17 months out w/ many many issues.

Dennis August 9, 2012 at 10:51

Hi. During 2007 I was on Levaquin and cipro for about 140 days and have since had severe burning pain in my tendons and muscles and suffer from depression and can’t sleep from the burning pain and depression.

The depression is so bad at times I can’t get out of bed for day at a time. I just can’t seem to recover from this and there are days I feel like I am loosing my mind.

I just can’t seem to get back a normal lifestyle even after 5 years. I see people taking this drug for a few days with side affect and I was on it for about 4 months. I went the Dr, that prescribed it and he was in denial a drug he prescribed could be causing my problems and claims I have fibromyalgia. Where do I find a Dr. that will acknowledge my Levaquin and cipro injuries and help with treatment?

carol August 18, 2012 at 07:32

Two years after using Avelox I continue to experience problems. There is no cure or understanding to what has occured. I have been on prednisone for almost a year to control the symptoms. Swelling in my joints, large ganglion cysts, tendonitis. Horrible that is all I can say. Do I really want to be on prednisone> No I do not but it controls the swelling and allows me to function as I did before using Avelox.

Anonymous October 12, 2012 at 10:13

I noticed that you said Ciporofloxacin is perscribed like candy by doctors, but it is my understanding that doctors do not perscribe candy due to their desire to better one’s own health.

Laura October 28, 2012 at 10:21

I am also a victim of CIPROFLOXACIN. I swear to GOD that we will not go unnoticed, that we will not be held silent and deemed insane, that our suffering will go swept under the rug. God help us all recover as much as possible!!!!!

erin November 12, 2012 at 23:24
Dawn November 18, 2012 at 19:33

I want to thnk everyone for yr comments I now realize this leg and calf pain I have been experiencing is from the levaquin I was recently prescribed for diverticulitis ….I was on the meds for 10 days; a few weeks ago I noticed a pain in my right hamstring but thought it was from all the walking I did during huricane sandy… bec of power outages i couldn’t workout or get to my massage therapist so I thought this was compounding my injury….finally after a week I could get to the gym but the pain was limiting but I worked through it figuring stress was making it worse….after 2 weeks I went to my massage therapist which did help but not much…in fact now I have pain in both hamstrings and both calfs nd even pain in my quads….only today approximately a month after stopping the drug did I put two and two together….I realize now that previous times I took levaquin I had similar experiences including unexplained dizziness, skipped heart beats etc. I workout 5 days a week and have been into bodybuilding for 25 years so I am in great physical condition and now I fear that these tendon and muscles aches won’t go away this time….it is so painful when I’m tring to sleep :( I’ve been getting massage and taking extra magnesium which does help…but I’m afraid my hamstring is gonna tear…..I wonder how many other ppl never make the connection between these kinds of mysterious unexplained ailments and this god forsaken drug….

3lit3 3raser November 23, 2012 at 11:43

Ask the ignorant bastard doctors if they would prescribe the drug that they offer to you to their own family and friends for the same issues and the silence before the response will be the truth.

Anonymous November 30, 2012 at 19:43

I was given Cipro for a UTI and I only took one pill and with in two hours my hands and feet felt like I had poison Ivy, it was horrible. They had me take allergy medication and it felt better in a few hours. However, four days later I woke up with burning tingling in my hands, arms, face, legs, and now it even goes across my stomach. I am 37 years old active and I thought healthy. I have not gone to the doctor there times this week telling them how horrible I feel. Has anyone else out there had this reaction from just one pill. I am tired all the time, can’t think clear and my vision is just off. I can’t stand the tingling in all over my body and it is constant has anyone found any solutions or any doctors that believe them?

Barbara Palladino December 26, 2012 at 20:51

Jesus is the Great Physician…..Greek Word for sorcery is pharmacy. Trust in Jesus.

Gary December 30, 2012 at 08:02

I was warned about these medications from my sons partner who has had chronic problems after taking Levaquin. I was prescribed Cipro HC drops for an outer ear infection. It was given to me by a NP at a local doc in the box on Christmas eve and I looked at what she had given me and thought how bad can it be. It is only ear drops. Stupid mistake on my part. The only side effects listed on the insert from a national pharmacy chain were allergic reactions. I quote here, “No common side effects have been reported” from the insert. After taking it for five days i have stopped using it due to headaches and brain fog as described on another web site as side effects. The site went on to say these symptoms could be temporary or permanent. This is not something I looked up and then decided I had a problem. The problem came first and then I researched it. I can only hope that this will get better the longer I am off the medicine. Why is the medical community ignoring the facts with these medications?

surviving cipro January 15, 2013 at 13:20
PY January 29, 2013 at 21:32

Is there something that I can take to reduce the ill effects of Cipro Poisoning?

My hands/fingers are painful even if I am not using them.

Have the similar condition with Hip Joints and Knees, Knee Caps. Knees can not take even small impact. Heels are painful to walk normal…

I took Cipro first time in the year 2000 for about a week as a proscription. At that I was about 33 year old. In the last 10 years without knowing the side effects I took about 5 other times each time about a week.

I did not know that symptoms are related to the Cipro..I took the medicine several doses while I was suffering from symptoms.

Now I can not walk properly- my knees, feet, pelvic, hands, shoulders, fingers.. pretty much every join/tendon/muscle in my body pains- day and night. I can not go up/down the stairs without extreme pain.

Not sure if I will become blind. Planning to go see an eye doctor- first time I found out about Cipro being poison was when it was in news for blindness- retinal detachment.. was it last year??.

I used to be very athletic, initially thought my pains were due to the walking/running/swimming.

Even after telling my doctor about Cipro recently he ruled out. NO DOCTOR BELIEVES THAT CIPRO CAN CAUSE SUCH A DAMAGE TO THE BODY…That is the most unfortunate thing…

Some years I thought it was arthritis.. and went to the speciallist… they had no clue and do not accept Cipro explanation…probably because they are all the same — Bayer the drug company, pharmacies, doctors…every body. They want new drugs..though there are good anti-biotics out there. Because old drugs patents are expired and they can not make much money. That is why they invent new drugs and bribe the doctors to prescribe them.. because they can sell these for premium.. they have the patenents…

Not sure how to get back to living and support several of the dependents – children.

It is scary what this drug can do to the body.. not sure if the symptoms ever mitigate…

Not sure why FDA still keep this drug on the stores. This drug creates more crippled people than number of people of injured in the wars.

PLEASE FIGHT TO BAN THIS DRUG.. OTHERWISE EVERY DAY THOUSANDS MORE WILL SWALLOW THEIR WAY INTO DISABLITY….

Another Cipro Victim.

Miriam February 13, 2013 at 08:45

Hello,
I too, am a victim of Cipro poisoning.
In 2004 I was given Cipro and Tequin to treat a staff infection I had acquired after having surgery for Ovarian cancer. I turned down chemotherapy because I literally felt like I was dying and I know the chemo would have killed me had I gone through with it.I have been dealing with the disabling side effects of fluoraquinolone toxicity since then, along with type 1 diabetes that I have had for 42 years.
All I can do is pray for the strength to see me through each day.
God Bless all of you who are having to live with these devastating side effects.

Margaret March 20, 2013 at 12:06

I am allergic to penicillin and sulpha drugs so the drug of choice for my numerous sinus and UTI infections has been …yes you guessed it… Cipro. I have had side effects for years never thinking it was the Cipro. The worse is the leg pains/cramps,joint pains that go from one to the next and the tingling sensations. My doctor thinks I am nuts with all these symptoms.The last round of Cipro for me was in November for a UTI , I thought I was dying for sure….heart palpitations, anxiety attack,and the pain in every joint on my body….I stopped after 3 days of medication but the effects have lingered on as I still have them…not as severe but still not right. I have been searching for alternative for my UTI infections instead of taking antibiotics. I am taking multivitamins and magnesium for the legs pains which seem to help. ARE THERE ANY SAFER ALTERNATIVES TO THESE ANTIBIOTICS.?

Janet April 3, 2013 at 05:45

Dennis, I am in the same boat as you. I had cipro many times in my life prob 14 times, I had cfs for years and had problems but no severe pain. I was given levaquin with prednisone 4 scripts within a two year period. I had a delayed reaction. My tendon in my right shoulder went first, then buttock tendon, then cns ANS, heart rate, pins and needles electrical currents. Acid like pain over entire body. I can barely move.. I am getting no help and all doctors deny this. I have tried to eat organic. I am not detoxing as my mercury level is very high. I have major depression disorder and dont know how long I can live like this.
I would like to talk with dennis and could reach me at [email protected].

Magnesium May 27, 2013 at 13:39

I am a professional chemist who has suffered the “side-effects” of Cipro. It has nothing to do with fluoride. The (2-carboxyquinolone) portion of the drug chelates metal ions like magnesium and calcium, and can upset the balance of electrolytes in your body. If you have the syndrome you are probably critically deficient in intracellular magnesium. It is very difficult to rebuild magnesium — in fact it cannot be done with ordinary OTC supplements because they are absorbed too slowly. You need to treat yourself topically with magnesium chloride solution (33%) and orally with about 0.5% solution. Take 1 tsp of this four times per day (or more) but do not swallow it right away. It will give you diarrhea. Allow it to be absorbed by holding it in your mouth for at least a minute before swallowing. Check with a doctor before beginning magnesium supplementation, as it is dangerous with certain conditions (for example, kidney failure). It is a disgrace that the drug companies have not researched their own drug sufficiently to have figured this out.

Jane Allan July 18, 2013 at 01:24

I have now been suffering for 10 weeks post ciprofloxacin and prednisolone prescribed by my GP for a cough with severe burning, tingling pain in my spine, lower back, hips, groin, legs and surrounding areas. It’s a nightmare. I cant sit for long without pain, can’t drive, cant work and my active life as it was is over. I’ve had X-rays, blood tests, electrical conductivity tests and an MRI which are all fine. I’ve been seen by a rheumatologist an neurologist who are perplexed by my symptoms even though I keep telling them it all started when I took this lethal combination of ciprofloxacin and prednisolone. I’ve read the submissions above and can relate to what people are saying but I am confused about what to take or do to help and try and get my life back. I’m taking vitamin b, c and e supplements, eating magnesium rich foods and also trying to manage the pain with co-codamol and diazepam. I don’t drink coffee and alcohol and eat very healthily. I am a 48 year old mother of two who was extremely active before taking this deadly poisonous combination. I would do anything to get my life back and would appreciate any help and advice on what to do next and where to go for advice. I live in the UK. Please help. I’m desperate.

YJP Cipro Victim August 10, 2013 at 08:13

I have been given Cipro about 5 times in the last decade. First time I took that poison when I was about 30 for a routine infection. I was an athletic person and used to be superior to 90% of my friends in physical strength and agility, and education masters’ degrees in several fields. For the last 6 years, I have all my joints crippled, brain gets a some kind of wave every few minutes, increased forgetfulness, high sweat ending with no sweat condition, dry eyes, dry mouth, dry skin, nose infections, hair loss, muscle replaced by fat, cartilage loss all over the body. When I enter the call, I need to help my left leg with my hands to keep it into the car. Sleeplessness is another major issue- I stopped yawning for the most part and if you can’t sleep your experiences will not imprint on your memory. And my biggest fear is if I have lost all the immunity and susceptible to all kinds of deadly infections. I already look and feel like 90 year old. Another fear is getting blind soon- because of the dry eyes, my vision is severely impaired- it used to be much better than 20/20.
Saddest thing is doctors never listen, when I tell about Cipro side effects. Think about it- they need people to have such conditions- The entire ill-health industry- doctors, drug manufactures and sellers, FDA, love these kinds of fluoroquinolone poisons crippling otherwise healthy people every day in thousands. That is how they make money. Now they call these conditions as fibromyalgia/psoriasis/arthritis/tendonitis and several other names, which is not.

krissy August 17, 2013 at 11:46

I have had pain tendon problems for 7 years now and now about to be homeless because of it. I lost everything. MY family abandon me because they do not care or maybe understand what this pain on a daily basis if like. I have absolutely no money, no car, and about to be thrown out of my apartment. I have been in a class action lawsuit with this for 5 years now and probably wont get a dime, it was too late to sue individually on my own by the time i found out about this. IT RUINED MY LIFE!

Mike September 17, 2013 at 13:54

I feel that is it only a matter of time that the correlation is made between these side effects and the drug. Dr.s are truly ignorant of the association between fluoroquinolones and the severe effects that they have on a small percentage of patients. I’m a pharmacist. I truly thought that you only have to watch out for the achilles and rotator cuff tendonitis LIKE THE PACKAGE INSERT SAYS in the black box warning. WRONG! I’m two years out from this garbage and I have ankle, toe, foot, knee, thumb, wrist, elbow and shoulder problems. The popping and grinding is the most frightening. The drug company must know but they have too much invested and are making too much money. I work at a hospital and we do a ton of levaquin. It’s not cheap. I would be the drug company knows that it is hard to definitively make the connection between delayed side effects that can be caused by other things (tendonitis from overuse etc) I think this class should be reserved for truly life threatening illness.

Jeff Smithpeters October 9, 2013 at 01:03

I think you’re doing a disservice by exaggerating the rate at which these side effects occur. These drugs have cured millions of bacterial infections. Side effects can occur, but this site makes no effort to estimate the rate of these.

Mia October 16, 2013 at 15:40

Hi Jane, i can’t answer your question directly, its trial and error to find out what works for you. However the body is a self-healing system, it always tries to heal itself, please try to be calm and listen to yourself, because it is your inner wisdom and intuition that will guide you to getting better. One thing not on your list is selenium, which together with vitamin C forms the basis of the immune system, so i would take that daily.

I’m move to share with everyone because this stuff has happened to you and its horrific and you all need to get better. I’m an alternative health practitioner and very sensitive to my body. I also took cipro having no idea that it was toxic. After two months i joined the dots when i read the side effects of the medication by accident. I want to say that we are not victims, we took the drugs. We have to take responsability and then we can get better. The important thing is not to believe that the damage is permanent, and not to fall into fear and despair when you read the websites. My osteopath who has treated me for 6 years and knows my body was so shocked he didnt believe a drug could cause so much contraction. he said i was untreatable because my muscles were so contracted and there were strange lumps in my neck – he was scared to do more damage. it made me feel better because at least i know what im up against. I resolved to love and accept every searing pain and inch of my hurting muscles and not to give up. The worst pain had reduced considerably in three weeks just by accepting it fully.

I have healed and seen people heal from things which are not possible over and over again and i want to point out that the mind is way way more powerful than we realise, and it rules the body. it can overule scientific “fact” which, if youre still believing it after taking the drugs that were supposed to help you, well then that’s your choice.

Having survived previous bed-ridden years following vaccinations 14 years ago, i knew i can get better. It’s been a lot faster this time because i knew the drill. Go on the detox the brain supplements, eat an organic diet, stop coffee, alcohol and pushing myself… and stop before i get tired and rest. Accept the pain, just feel it, don’t take pain killers, breath and observe. i havent cured the bone clicking yet, when i have i will let you know. I think both nutrition and supplementation, as well as clearing on an energetic or thought level can do the trick in combination. I took a combination of standard detox supplements, including glutathione with vitamin C and B6, selenium, iodine & vit E to detox, as well as powder chlorella. After just five days my mind started working again so i could begin to figure things out. then I also took calcium and magnesium – it seems the drugs cause magnesium deficiency which is what causes the fatigue and weakness. I work with the brain and nervous system so it was distressing to observe mine deteriorate rapidly. However through a combination of observation and staying calm things have got a lot better. Healing the nervous system (thats the tingling and shaking and brain non-function) takes B vitamins and a lot of patience and compassion. But it is not at all impossible, as i’ve done it before from a worse state. I also found a craniosacral therapist who works with homeopathic frequencies through cranio to detox, and when i told him about the cipro he treated me for an hour with homeopathic potency of cipro and afterwards the finger and neck pains were gone, as was a huge portion of the awful despair. He is in london, i am happy to pass on his details. Please don’t believe that the side effects have to be long-lived. This is more likely to be so if you believe it and focus on it. You can just as easily get better this month or this week. Focus on what you want, not what you don’t.

These kind of experiences, though awful (and hard to believe that these drugs are given for non MRSA infections) are opportunities to empower ourselves to learn how the body works and what we can do to keep it healthy. This gives us the ability to use our discernment, not blindly believe “authorities” and fine tune our senses towards what we need so we can keep ourselves healthy without needing external input or chemicals. It also motivates people to spread information which can again empower others in a society which is asleep and living in ignorance that costs lives. Whatever your experience, the meaning that you make of it in your life is yours to give, and this is entirely in your hands. How you handle it can make a difference for a lot of people. I wish you all courage for what you make of your experience. Blessings to everyone.

Tim November 1, 2013 at 14:07

Thank you! The emotional response is exactly how I felt but refused to react when the same thing happened to me. I lost 2 of my best friends and my wife because of the crazy state it put me in. I never could figure out what happened, but months later when my system got clean I realized it must have been the antibiotics I took. Last week they gave cipro to my mother for a common bladder infection and this happened to her, she’s 72 and nearly died. We asked for a different med and they gave her the same thing again, we didn’t find out till we got to the pharmacy. A lot of doctors and pharmacists are just plain screw ups. We are adding these medicines to our list of allergies so it will never happen again!

Life ruined by Levaquin November 24, 2013 at 17:17

To Jeff Smithpeters
If you are not a Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Victim, you have no idea, what this brutal damage is all about. FQs should be used for only life threatening issues, not handed out like candy….yes all drugs have side effects, FQs side effects are PERMANENT, no cure, no treatment….They have not saved our lives, they have ruined our lives. Doctors are not educated by Pharm Reps about proper use and about this damage…..that is wrong…..

Angela April 7, 2014 at 16:40

I have been suffering from the effects of ciprofloxacin for four and half months. My physical symptoms were comparatively mild. I didn’t realize tinnitus was also a side effect and went through that. My physical complaints are sort of vague but real and similar to what many others have experienced. However, since I am coming down now, I’d like to describe how I was able to do so. I stopped eating meat. I realized meat was aiding the negative side effects. Actually, I had feebly attempted fasting because I realized I started to come down from negative side effects after I skipped a meal. Hunger won out and that didn’t last long. I tried very short term fasting again, but began to monitor the effects the food I was eating had on me. Meat and other foods with high protein increased the negative side effects. I slowly began to add protein based food to my diet and they have began to have less of a side effect on me. Finally I took vitamin C and vitamin E and have felt like a completely different person since. I believe it is the combination of dieting, cutting out meat and a lot of protein based food and taking vitamins C and E. (With the tinnitus I took vitamins as well. The vitamins did make me feel better and relieve the tinnitus but did not cure or stop the other side effects from the ciprofloxacin). Now, I am eating protein based foods such as egg and cheese but not meat. I know that meat is aiding the negative side effects because as soon as I took one bite of meat after a short fast my heart raced, my adrenaline immediately jolted to the sky. I then continued to live out my typical daily experiences that were rather hallucinary. Coming down was actually rather scary at first. I realize now, I had been really out of it. My memory is still a bit foggy, but other than that I am beginning to feel a lot like my old self. What is quite strange is readjusting to being normal and feeling normal after being strung out, hyped up, and in a hallucinary state for four and half months all from ciprofloxacin and nothing else. I’d like to recommend this book. I heard an interview of this author on the radio. I haven’t read the book but he also suffered from what I believe was a fluoride related medicine that has since been banned. His story isn’t the typical one of cirpofloxacin but I feel I have experienced some similar experiences to what he describes. The book is ” The Answer to the Riddle is Me”.

Angela April 8, 2014 at 11:14

A book on the experiences of ciprofloxacin.

A quote taken from a review of the book, “The Answer to the Riddle is Me” on Amazon. “It reminds me STRONGLY of the book Bitter Pills (by Stephen Fried), where his wife’s life was devastated by the innocent taking of fluoroquinolones for a minor urinary tract infection”

“Bitter Pills”