Air New Zealand in Trouble With Women’s Groups over Cougar Campaign

Post image for Air New Zealand in Trouble With Women’s Groups over Cougar Campaign

by W.F. Price on January 18, 2010

Air NZ recently launched a publicity campaign designed to appeal to single women over the age of 35, portraying them as sexual predators on the hunt for young men.

There is a somewhat funny and accurate video in the article that depicts the women in their natural habitat, and describes them as voracious nocturnal predators.

Women’s groups, however, including a local representative of the rape industry, growled and bared their fangs when they caught wind of the marketing effort. Kim McGregor, head of New Zealand’s “Rape Prevention Education” called it “appalling, disgusting and degrading to women.”

Nevertheless, scores of women have sent in photos of themselves with younger men in an effort to win prizes, including free tickets and cougar costumes.

Snark January 18, 2010 at 10:21

How interesting that a group named Rape Prevention Education objects, first and foremostly, to the advert’s (rather accurate) portrayal of women, rather than its portrayal of a man being raped by a woman.

Oh, I’m sure that Rape Prevention Education is entirely impartial, and totally doesn’t privilege female victims over male victims. /sarcasm

Tom January 18, 2010 at 10:30

This ad is pretty hilarious, and is basically the female equivalent of the “bald old dude seeking hot bimbo” theme.

On a side note: I am wondering how many of these “cougars” are basically desperate women at the limit of their reproductive span, seeking a “sperm donor”. Of course, they could just visit the local sperm bank, but that wouldn’t entitle them to a child support check..

Novaseeker January 18, 2010 at 10:36

LOL that was funny as hell. What comes around goes around, ladies.

Black&German January 18, 2010 at 10:44

I actually thought it was pretty funny. But I’m not the most PC person out there.

21Guns January 18, 2010 at 10:54

If the part about the male rape survivors is true (and I have trouble believing anything a feminist says) then I’m going straight to hell for laughing at this.

Black&German January 18, 2010 at 11:04

I think the joke is on the women in this one. Bringing up male rape survivors sort of misses the point.

Firepower January 18, 2010 at 11:40

Ever since the
Lord of the Rings
franchise dried up

New Z needs to find some way
to fund it’s Maori homemade distilleries.

zimmy January 18, 2010 at 11:46

So it’s all that to women when they are on the hunt. It’s also all that (always) to men when they are looking for women . So coming or going it’s men’s fault and it’s “degrading to women” no matter if women are the hunted or on the hunt. Hmmmm

I’m sure these same women also oppose all those anti-male ads that abound…………right?

schwing January 18, 2010 at 12:05

I can see why it would upset the feminists: it shines too bright a light on the female’s true nature, and reality is anathema to them.

Now for some links. Here is the ad campaign homepage, and Youtube hosts the advertisement in 1080p HD.

21Guns January 18, 2010 at 12:11

I took the quiz, and it turns out I’m not a cougar. I am very disappointed about this.

nilk January 18, 2010 at 12:45

As a 42yo single woman, I laughed aloud at the ad. It nails the behaviour of some women, and takes the piss out of the women’s groups that sit around “supporting” them.

The counsellor, the bit about providing safety for the young men, all that plays on what happens for women.

As for how the cougar is portrayed, it’s spot on. I’ve known women who were just like that. There are some desperate old slappers out there.

Some are looking for a sperm donor, some are looking to just get laid, because they can’t imagine not getting laid. Some do it for the thrill of the chase, and the notches.

And some are looking for love.

And older women should not wear red lipstick. Sorry, that’s just wrong.

gwallan January 18, 2010 at 16:39

@21Guns…

Take it from a male survivor that it is true.

The mockery, the derision and, sometimes, the hatred that male victims endure is a big part of that.

21Guns January 18, 2010 at 17:41

@gwallan

I’m sorry to hear that. The reason I was skeptical was because Kim McGregor’s comment sounded too much like “See, men think it’s offensive too!” and I had to wonder. It’s a shame that a legitimate concern is getting drowned out by the usual cacaphony of women’s whining.

gwallan January 18, 2010 at 18:20

@21Guns…

There is an element of what you suggest. Almost as though the male victim is secondary, an afterthought. I have sent correspondence to her and the airline. Could be interesting. To be honest even being secondary is an improvement. A lot of these services still really only pay lip service to male victims and often they default to a belief that males only suffer from same sex abuse.

The so-called “cougar” often targets teenage boys as young as fifteen or less(my early experience was as a prepubescent child – one of my aunts – although I was in a relationship with a decade older woman at seventeen so I have some empathy). There’s a lot of ignorance about how dangerous it can actually be for the kid in the long term.

Gx1080 January 19, 2010 at 06:16

The groups that most disagrees with parodies are those who know that said parodies nailed it.

Said parodies need to stop being truth, ladies. And I don’t think that bitching is going to have much effect in this case.

Snark January 19, 2010 at 06:20

Indeed …

They can stop all portrayals of this kind of thing.

It won’t stop men from seeing, with their own eyes, that things are this way.

Eman January 19, 2010 at 20:42

Welmer – a couple of articles, some grist for the mill; yourself or someone on this website might want to check out and write about these recent articles in the NYT:
- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/us/19marriage.html – “More Men Marrying Wealthier Women”
- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/18/world/europe/18iht-women.html?em – “In Germany, a Tradition Falls, and Women Rise”

ghostnation January 23, 2010 at 09:39

So what is wrong with older women and younger men? Everyone needs love. I am well into middle age and it is true for me- why not the couger?